Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by crimsona
Over mpm for YVR
Really?

MPM5 for PVG-YVR via AT is 14212 miles.

PVG-FRA-YYZ-YVR is 11554 miles.

While AE now uses an internal MPM (which is usually quite similar to the previously used MPM5), I'd be quite surprised if that routing was invalid.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:38 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...seudo-mpm.html

YVR-HKG is 8.4k
YYZ-PEK is 9.2k

YVR-PVG is shorter than both. Plus a simple multi city on aeroplan.com would have given you that answer too.

Punching in YVR-FRA, FRA-PVG, PVG-YVR in multi city instantly gives the error message

Fixed Mileage Flight Reward
Fixed Mileage Flight Rewards are not valid for your requested itinerary. Rollover the icon for more details

Exceeds maximum allowable distance permitted

Last edited by crimsona; Feb 23, 2017 at 9:44 pm
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:13 am

My Mini RTW

Ok, after 4 years of waiting/planning

Date Dest Airline Depart Arrive Class Aircraft

March 27 IAD to FRA Lufthansa 419 18:05 8:00 (3/28) Business Boeing 747-8 (aka the most beautiful thing man has EVER created)

March 28 FRA to MUC Lufthansa 104 12:15 13:10 Economy Airbus A320

March 28 MUC to BKK Thai 925 14:25 6:05 (3/29) First Boeing 747-400 (aka the second most beautiful thing man has ever created)

April 4 BKK to HKG Thai 606 16:00 19:45 First Boeing 747-400

April 7 HKG to BKK Thai 601 13:10 14:50 First Boeing 747-400 (frequently changes to A380, fingers crossed)

April 7 BKK to SIN Thai 409 16:25 19:40 Business Airbus A350-900 (brand new plane, yay!)

April 9 SIN to ICN Singapore 602 14:40 22:15 Business Airbus A330-300

April 10 ICN to NRT Asiana 102 9:00 11:10 Business Airbus A330-300

April 10 NRT to ORD ANA 12 17:10 14:55 First Boeing 777-300

April 10 ORD to DCA United 616 17:05 20:02 First Boeing 737-800

$715.86 in scam charges.

Have to admit I'm quite aggravated. ExpertFlyer is showing (for example) award availability on LH104 in Business. Aeroplan does not. Why is this the case? This isn't the first flight where I've found this, an the really annoying issue is that when I set up a flight alert in ExpertFlyer, it goes away as it "finds" an available seat.

Anyone shed some light?

Thanks!!!

Last edited by scottt; Feb 28, 2017 at 8:17 am Reason: tweaks
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Really?

MPM5 for PVG-YVR via AT is 14212 miles.

PVG-FRA-YYZ-YVR is 11554 miles.

While AE now uses an internal MPM (which is usually quite similar to the previously used MPM5), I'd be quite surprised if that routing was invalid.
Bolded part is only true if the old AT MPM5 and PA MPM5 were similar.

The new internal values are closer to the smaller of the two (PA & AT) that previously existed. So in cases where they differ by significant amounts (like from western Canada to Asia), the long route is now wildly over MPM.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by scottt
Ok, after 4 years of waiting/planning

Date Dest Airline Depart Arrive Class Aircraft

March 27 IAD to FRA Lufthansa 419 18:05 8:00 (3/28) Business Boeing 747-8 (aka the most beautiful thing man has EVER created)

March 28 FRA to MUC Lufthansa 104 12:15 13:10 Economy Airbus A320

March 28 MUC to BKK Thai 925 14:25 6:05 (3/29) First Boeing 747-400 (aka the second most beautiful thing man has ever created)

April 4 BKK to HKG Thai 606 16:00 19:45 First Boeing 747-400

April 7 HKG to BKK Thai 601 13:10 14:50 First Boeing 747-400 (frequently changes to A380, fingers crossed)

April 7 BKK to SIN Thai 409 16:25 19:40 Business Airbus A350-900 (brand new plane, yay!)

April 9 SIN to ICN Singapore 602 14:40 22:15 Business Airbus A330-300

April 10 ICN to NRT Asiana 102 9:00 11:10 Business Airbus A330-300

April 10 NRT to ORD ANA 12 17:10 14:55 First Boeing 777-300

April 10 ORD to DCA United 616 17:05 20:02 First Boeing 737-800

$715.86 in scam charges.

Have to admit I'm quite aggravated. ExpertFlyer is showing (for example) award availability on LH104 in Business. Aeroplan does not. Why is this the case? This isn't the first flight where I've found this, an the really annoying issue is that when I set up a flight alert in ExpertFlyer, it goes away as it "finds" an available seat.

Anyone shed some light?

Thanks!!!
Miles and more reserves more seats for their own members, similar to Cathay and Asia miles
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:48 am

So Expert Flyer (when it shows award seating available) is showing the Miles and More availability, and not general Star Alliance availability?

Is there a way to set an alert so I'll get notified when SA availability shows up?

Thx!
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:49 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by scottt
So Expert Flyer (when it shows award seating available) is showing the Miles and More availability, and not general Star Alliance availability?

Is there a way to set an alert so I'll get notified when SA availability shows up?

Thx!
ExpertFlyer shows the Star Alliance level of award inventory, not M&M.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
ExpertFlyer shows the Star Alliance level of award inventory, not M&M.
So, your Award Inventory should be the same as Aeroplan, right?

Sorry, I've never used EF until now. It shows Business Class availability for one of my flights, however Aeroplan says no award space available.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by PlaneHunt
If I were to start a Mini-RTW at YYZ, do a trip across the Atlantic or Pacific and visit three stops, can I return to a different city in North America, such as IAH or MEX, then find my own way back to YYZ? Or would that technically count as an open jaw?

Thank you.
Technically no, practically yes.

Say for example you did the following;

YYZ-IST (STOP)
IST-SIN (DESTINATION)
SIN-TPE (STOP)​​​​
T​​​​PE-SFO-YYZ

​​​​As long as you dont have any checked luggage, you can get off the plane in SFO and go your own way, however, dont expect to reschedule your last segment as it will be canceled.

Bottom line, as long as you dont check bags, you can throw away segments you dont want or need, however all flights from that point on will be canceled.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: AC MM SE; SPG Plat; Hilton Gold
Miny RTW : is Ottawa, Europe, Africa, Singapore Ottawa possible

I tried reading through some of the many mini RTW threads, but thought it might be easier just to post this question. I originate in and then End in Ottawa. Not fussey about where in Europe I stop. Prefer to stop in Dar es Salaam or Johannesburg in Africa ; And prefer Singapore in Asia but other options are fine too. In Asia once you land you can get wherever you want to go with cheap airlines like air Asia. Same in Europe with many cheap airlines. Africa is a bit tougher. But I can plan my trip stopping either in DAR or Johannesburg.

A second option would be to not stop in Europe, but stop in DAR and have point to turn around in Johannesburg , Continuing on to Singapore or somewhere else in Asia before heading back to Ottawa.

any success by anyone with either of those possibilities?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by ramsfan
I tried reading through some of the many mini RTW threads, but thought it might be easier just to post this question. I originate in and then End in Ottawa. Not fussey about where in Europe I stop. Prefer to stop in Dar es Salaam or Johannesburg in Africa ; And prefer Singapore in Asia but other options are fine too. In Asia once you land you can get wherever you want to go with cheap airlines like air Asia. Same in Europe with many cheap airlines. Africa is a bit tougher. But I can plan my trip stopping either in DAR or Johannesburg.

A second option would be to not stop in Europe, but stop in DAR and have point to turn around in Johannesburg , Continuing on to Singapore or somewhere else in Asia before heading back to Ottawa.

I've posted a very similar itinerary not too long ago if you want to search my posts.

I did:
YYC-YYZ
YYZ-IST
IST-DAR
DAR-SIN (through ADD)
SIN-YYC (through NRT)

So you could do:
Ontario Airport-IST
IST-DAR
DAR-SIN (through ADD)
SIN-Ontario Airport.

Also, don't take this as rude, but if you put in some effort, you will get a lot more responses from people who want to help. Saying "i tried to read" isn't very good. Try "I found an example like XYZ, but it doesnt work for me because of ABC, so I am thinking DEF, any other thoughts?" A little effort will help you get much better responses from the VERY helpful people on this thread.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: AC MM SE; SPG Plat; Hilton Gold
Thanks for the quick reply. Good to hear this is doable. And you're right I was a bit lazy on my search. But thanks for helping out anyway.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by ramsfan

I doubt you can squeeze in Joberg, unless you can get the SQ direct flight to SIN, but even then I doubt it.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by hearna
Technically no, practically yes.

Say for example you did the following;

YYZ-IST (STOP)
IST-SIN (DESTINATION)
SIN-TPE (STOP)​​​​
T​​​​PE-SFO-YYZ

​​​​As long as you dont have any checked luggage, you can get off the plane in SFO and go your own way, however, dont expect to reschedule your last segment as it will be canceled.

Bottom line, as long as you dont check bags, you can throw away segments you dont want or need, however all flights from that point on will be canceled.
Note: even if you do have checked bags, you can usually ask the agent upon check-in to only tag your bags for X. On my last mini rtw I had no problem getting short checked on demand, which made it easier to switch up what clothes I had in my carryon with what I had in my checked bag before re-checking.

Also, usually you need to pick up all baggage when flying into the US while you are clearing customs unless you were pre-cleared. So by default your bag would be dispensed in the US notwithstanding where it was tagged to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.