Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
"Suck it up in J" is a bit of an entitled position... j/k

J these days is really not all that bad. If you're adamant about not paying YQ then TK might be about the only option (or LX, or SN if you can find space). If you're OK paying YQ, then OS is a great airline.

But I wouldn't do F one way, J the other - that's sort of a waste of points I'd say if you only have one or two flights in F.
book a one way in F and a one way in J. Problem solved!
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:34 am

"Suck it up in J" is a bit of an entitled position... j/k

J these days is really not all that bad. If you're adamant about not paying YQ then TK might be about the only option (or LX, or SN if you can find space). If you're OK paying YQ, then OS is a great airline.

But I wouldn't do F one way, J the other - that's sort of a waste of points I'd say if you only have one or two flights in F.
I would tend to agree with your last statement....

Unfortunately, I'm trying to put something like this together: YVR-MLE-CDG-YVR, so I need the stop-overs given with a RT itinerary.

How is LH J (both availability and experience)?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
I would tend to agree with your last statement....

Unfortunately, I'm trying to put something like this together: YVR-MLE-CDG-YVR, so I need the stop-overs given with a RT itinerary.

How is LH J (both availability and experience)?
LH J is perfectly fine. It's not incredible (the new J isn't all-aisle), but food and drink are perfectly reasonable. That said, YQ will be *murder*!!! It's almost like LH is trying really hard to see how much people will pay for its average product.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 4:25 am

LH J is perfectly fine. It's not incredible (the new J isn't all-aisle), but food and drink are perfectly reasonable. That said, YQ will be *murder*!!! It's almost like LH is trying really hard to see how much people will pay for its average product.
One last question for now then, what's the best city pair for LH F availability at T-14? I just did a quick check, and seems like EWR-FRA is pretty decent, any others?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 4:37 am

One last question for now then, what's the best city pair for LH F availability at T-14? I just did a quick check, and seems like EWR-FRA is pretty decent, any others?
Hmm, good question. I wouldn't do JFK-FRA, but any of the others are probably sort of OK.

Btw, if you want the maximum experience, book something like EWR-FRA-MUC-onwards, all on LH F, to use the FCT in FRA, and then get the Munich lounge access as well. Get a >5 hour layover in FRA if you can, as well, so you can rent a Porsche for 99 EUR for 4 hours!
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
IME East Coast is easier than West Coast, particularly EWR, BOS.

DFW often has some decent availability.

But overall finding LH F award space has become much more difficult since many routes no longer have a F cabin.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
- NH is fairly frequently available. I consider this one of the best F products in Star right now.
- LH is usually available two weeks before departure, especially if you are somewhat flexible. I don't really like LH F besides the Frankfurt First Class Terminal - the in-plane experience is somewhat "okay" for an F product, in my humble view
- LX is no longer bookable by partners.
- TG is frequently available to Asia. I really, really like TG. Excellent service, good food, free massage in BKK, what else could one want!
- UA F is ... going away. Fortunately. Sadly, not the airline.
- OZ is fairly good. I don't particularly love them, but they are a solid, good F product. I'd take NH any day over OZ if I had the choice, but if that's your only choice, it's not a bad one at all.
- SQ is never bookable on partners unless there's an error. But besides the Suites seat (=bed), there's nothing special about SQ F. Really and honestly. The Krug is nice, but I'm never blown away by it as much as I am by NH, for instance.

Hope this helps!
Wow. I think I'd rank them very differently

Factoring in both ground and air:
LH
SQ
TG
NH
OZ (though this is not below NH by much for me)
LX
UA

If we only talk about in-flight experience, my list would change a bit, but not by much.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Wow. I think I'd rank them very differently

Factoring in both ground and air:
LH
SQ
TG
NH
OZ (though this is not below NH by much for me)
LX
UA

If we only talk about in-flight experience, my list would change a bit, but not by much.
Oh, my list wasn't ranked in order of "how I rank" them - I just wrote them as they came to mind. Maybe that's a way of ranking them, but I didn't quite intend that as a order of quality - LH wouldn't have been so high on the list otherwise, and UA wouldn't have been in the middle of the list
Old Mar 26, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
"Suck up in J?"

AHAHAHAHAHHAHA
#LaughsInTango
Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:00 pm

Oh, my list wasn't ranked in order of "how I rank" them - I just wrote them as they came to mind. Maybe that's a way of ranking them, but I didn't quite intend that as a order of quality - LH wouldn't have been so high on the list otherwise, and UA wouldn't have been in the middle of the list
Oh sorry I understood your post, I was referring more to how you talked about the products, like NH being #1, whereas I put it right in the middle.

I know you don't think UA is better than OZ and SQ
Old Mar 26, 2017, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Oh sorry I understood your post, I was referring more to how you talked about the products, like NH being #1, whereas I put it right in the middle.

I know you don't think UA is better than OZ and SQ
So based on your list of preferred carriers, NH F is still #1 for TPAC (since SQ isn't bookable through aeroplan)

Side note, if going on TG F, A380 vs 747, which would be preferred? Are there significant differences?

I think I may need to get quite creative to manage an A380 flight.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 11:36 pm

So based on your list of preferred carriers, NH F is still #1 for TPAC (since SQ isn't bookable through aeroplan)

Side note, if going on TG F, A380 vs 747, which would be preferred? Are there significant differences?

I think I may need to get quite creative to manage an A380 flight.
I would not go out of my way for NH or OZ. Personally, I think they're very comparable in terms of quality. Clearly not everyone agrees with me.

But when I am booking, if I can get SFO-NRT-destination on NH, or SFO-LAX-ICN-destination on OZ, I'm going to take NH because it's easier. Likewise, if OZ avoids a connection, I'll take it.

I've only flown TG's old 747, and while the seats were not great, I found the ground service, in-flight service, food, and beverages to be spectacular.

My other opinion is that if you're booking a flight on points, and you can get F that works for you don't fret too much about which airline it's on.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: *void
- NH is fairly frequently available. I consider this one of the best F products in Star right now.
- LH is usually available two weeks before departure, especially if you are somewhat flexible. I don't really like LH F besides the Frankfurt First Class Terminal - the in-plane experience is somewhat "okay" for an F product, in my humble view
- LX is no longer bookable by partners.
- TG is frequently available to Asia. I really, really like TG. Excellent service, good food, free massage in BKK, what else could one want!
- UA F is ... going away. Fortunately. Sadly, not the airline.
- OZ is fairly good. I don't particularly love them, but they are a solid, good F product. I'd take NH any day over OZ if I had the choice, but if that's your only choice, it's not a bad one at all.
- SQ is never bookable on partners unless there's an error. But besides the Suites seat (=bed), there's nothing special about SQ F. Really and honestly. The Krug is nice, but I'm never blown away by it as much as I am by NH, for instance.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for this write-up Nim! Really appreciate your seasoned opinions, with obvious tie-ins to Star awards and thus also to the associated like-o-meter based on higher/lower carrier surcharges.

Reminder, free massages in BKK are only available with departure TG boarding passes, shut-outs for an arriving TG flight.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:20 am

Maybe someone else has a better solution to this.

I want to do JFK-FRA-ICN-BKK-SYD. Problem is it is 125 miles over mpm (allowable is 15965). One solution is to fly to MEL instead (not an issue as I'm going to visit both during the stopover), which has an allowable mpm of 16669. However, BKK-MEL on TG has no first class cabin, so each way would unfortunately need to be in J. Meanwhile there is plenty of F space if flying in and out of SYD.

Another solution (to avoid flying in J to MEL) would be to change the origin. I'm flexible in positioning where I start. Based on the wiki, starting in YHZ wouldn't help me because it'll take 800 miles to get to EWR/JFK due to bad availability of a direct flight to EWR. Any (creative) suggestions of ways to perhaps make this itinerary work?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: HH Gold, MR Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
Maybe someone else has a better solution to this.

I want to do JFK-FRA-ICN-BKK-SYD. Problem is it is 125 miles over mpm (allowable is 15965). One solution is to fly to MEL instead (not an issue as I'm going to visit both during the stopover), which has an allowable mpm of 16669. However, BKK-MEL on TG has no first class cabin, so each way would unfortunately need to be in J. Meanwhile there is plenty of F space if flying in and out of SYD.

Another solution (to avoid flying in J to MEL) would be to change the origin. I'm flexible in positioning where I start. Based on the wiki, starting in YHZ wouldn't help me because it'll take 800 miles to get to EWR/JFK due to bad availability of a direct flight to EWR. Any (creative) suggestions of ways to perhaps make this itinerary work?
What about BKK-SIN-MEL? I think SQ offers F on SIN-MEL, so if you can find space, maybe that would work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.