Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
Thank you for your help.

I've read trip reports but I still can't tell: would you go as far to say LX or even TK in J would be better than UA F? UA F out of an American hub vs LX/TK out of the US, that is. I've flown both LX and TK J out of their respective hubs.
UA F is certainly among the less impressive F products out there, but I'd still choose it over TK J or LX J - if only for the better seat (and smaller cabin).

Food and drinks in UA F are closer to a solid J product and may even be slightly worse than TK J. Service generally should be decent, especially if you don't mind a somewhat informal service style. I've never dound the service on TK or LX to be that impressive.

Am I foolish for thinking I'd be able to get a spot +/- 2 days of my preferred departure date from any departure point in the US if I check T-14?
With a date range of +/- 2 days and the willingness to connect somewhere else, I'd say your chances of finding LH F award space are decent, especially from the East Coast (EWR/JFK/IAD/BOS)
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:28 pm

I want to include Maui (OGG) in a mini RTW to asia from YYZ. The aeroplan website won't allow pretty much any routing from OGG to asia or vice versa but when i search using the united website OGG --> HNL ---> NRT comes up as a saver award. The OGG --> HNL leg is on hawaiian airlines which i don't believe is on star alliance? Would this route be able to be booked on aeroplan if i called in?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thenesman
I want to include Maui (OGG) in a mini RTW to asia from YYZ. The aeroplan website won't allow pretty much any routing from OGG to asia or vice versa but when i search using the united website OGG --> HNL ---> NRT comes up as a saver award. The OGG --> HNL leg is on hawaiian airlines which i don't believe is on star alliance? Would this route be able to be booked on aeroplan if i called in?
No, since - as you have already figured out - Hawaiian is neither a *A airline nor an AE partner.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
This Hawaii question got me wondering....

1. ANA (NH) flies HNL to NRT and HND (even if you can't get this on Aeroplan)

https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/local.../honolulu.html

2. Hawaiian Airlines is an ANA partner

http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/ph/e/asw_co...ile/tk/ha.html
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by hearna
I should know the answer to this but just want to confirm...

The following should be legal correct?

YEG-YVR-SEA-TPE-BKK (Stop)
BKK-MEL (OJ)
AKL-BNE-TPE-YVR-YEG

The reason for this is during the Holidays I cannot get anything from Australia to New Zealand, so figured OJ it over to NZ.

When it comes to MPM, the MPM of leg 1 YEG-BKK-MEL and leg 2 AKL-YEG must be below YEG-MEL (13921 miles) correct?
Hey guys sorry to bump this so soon, but looking to book asap, and would rather not wait on hold for hours on end just to get an uninformed agent...
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
No, since - as you have already figured out - Hawaiian is neither a *A airline nor an AE partner.
But why does the united search tool show it as a saver award that can be booked? I was under the impression that anything that shows up as a blue saver award on the united website is eligible for aeroplan booking.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Thenesman
But why does the united search tool show it as a saver award that can be booked? I was under the impression that anything that shows up as a blue saver award on the united website is eligible for aeroplan booking.
UA has its own partners, like HA, or Air China (not bookable on Aeroplan), Aer Lingus, etc..
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Thank you for your help.

I've read trip reports but I still can't tell: would you go as far to say LX or even TK in J would be better than UA F? UA F out of an American hub vs LX/TK out of the US, that is. I've flown both LX and TK J out of their respective hubs.

I realize switching whatever I book as a placeholder to LH F will be risky to rely on since there may not be availability and that could have a domino effect. My original plan was YVR-ORD-FRA-BKK-NRT-ICN-LAX-YVR with LH F for ORD-FRA, TG F, NH F, OZ F for the tpac, and ...... UA to/from YVR. I would be flying around Asia off of Alaska J redemptions and around Eur on revenue tickets. Obviously I'd be flexible to connect thru SFO or other cities to connect onto LH F.

Am I foolish for thinking I'd be able to get a spot +/- 2 days of my preferred departure date from any departure point in the US if I check T-14?

It's a shame I got into this game well after LX F stopped being available on *A. UA J was the only international flight of my last 50 in the past two years where the flight attendant refused to lend a pen for me to do a customs card and scoffed at the idea. I can only imagine how warm their F service is...
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
UA F is certainly among the less impressive F products out there, but I'd still choose it over TK J or LX J - if only for the better seat (and smaller cabin).

Food and drinks in UA F are closer to a solid J product and may even be slightly worse than TK J. Service generally should be decent, especially if you don't mind a somewhat informal service style. I've never dound the service on TK or LX to be that impressive.

With a date range of +/- 2 days and the willingness to connect somewhere else, I'd say your chances of finding LH F award space are decent, especially from the East Coast (EWR/JFK/IAD/BOS)
Agreed on all counts. If you're on a minirtw F ticket (and by that I mean you're already paying F points), UA F is not a horrible option. But for a TATL flight, I would absolutely be looking to switch it to LH at a later date.

In terms of UA F service, I had to walk back to J to get a drink and a banana because the FA assumed all the F passengers would be sleeping, so left.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by bnatrotter
Hi Everyone, please help if you ran into a similar award ticketing situation.

I was able to initially use my Aeroplan miles to ticket and confirm an itinerary: MLE - SIN - ICN - JFK, all in J.
Originally the second segment (SIN - ICN) was booked on OZ. Thursday 1/26 an SQ award flight (SIN - ICN) became available, so I called Aeroplan and had them replace the second OZ segment with the available SQ one. Aeroplan was able to do so and provide a confirmation email (with the second flight being "confirmed" to be SQ).

However over the weekend when I looked up the PNR on the Singapore airlines portal, the second segment showed only "Reserved," versus "Confirmed," as were the other segments in the itinerary (I also had another ticket booked/modified on the same itinerary using UA miles and all segments came out Confirmed on the SQ portal). I called SQ and they said this leg was NOT confirmed and AP needed to "ticket" this segment. I called AP multiple times to try to understand why the new segment was not "confirmed." They eventually came back today (31 Jan) saying that the SQ award flight was no longer available and that I needed to rebook my flight. Then I asked Aeroplan to go back to my original flights and they were able to send a confirmation email (with second segment being the same OZ flight that i was initially booked on).

But now as I look in the SQ portal, my second OZ segment is still showing Reserved, not Confirmed. And now I am also able to see the desired SQ flight award being available on the Aeroplan website!

So my questions are...
1. Is this a known Aeroplan issue that it takes longer for a modified segment to be actually "Confirmed" and ticketed? If so, how long would it usually take to ticket and confirm all segments on a modified ticket.

2. Had you run into a similar situation before? If so, how were you able to resolve it.

3. It looks like my second segment is now in a limbo- no matter which flight I choose, it'd always show as "Reserved," not confirmed on the SQ Portal. So is it a sound deduction that this ticket/PNR may have had some issue/bug that prevents the ticketing? Do I need to have Aeroplan create a new ticket/PNR with the same segments to see if it sticks?

Thank you so much for all your help here. This has been driving me bonkers over the past few days!!

I had a similar experience recently, but mine was worse given the fact that I had no choice on the matter. I had one segment that was cancelled, so they automatically rebooked one of the legs on my trip. My original segment was replaced by a different carrier entirely. All this happening without my knowledge (no email, no text).

Anyway, I checked my booking again 5 days before my flight and I found out that I only had a RESERVED status which was then already CANCELLED. I called the partner carrier directly and they confirmed that they cancelled it because they didn't get payment for the reservation. This was already the return trip by the way. So I called Aeroplan again (long distance!!) and they finally got it sorted out. Naturally, I lost my original seat.

One good thing about this incident is that the segment showed up as class Y on my account, so full AQM and aeropesos. I even got AQD for it!
Old Feb 23, 2017, 2:33 pm

Currently have an itinerary booked as follows:

JFK-TPE-BKK-CNX (OJ)
HKT-BKK-SGN-IST-TLV
TLV-ZRH-JFK

Can I add another "stopover" segment after JFK (like a EWR-LAX or something)?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by Lubaby
Currently have an itinerary booked as follows:

JFK-TPE-BKK-CNX (OJ)
HKT-BKK-SGN-IST-TLV
TLV-ZRH-JFK

Can I add another "stopover" segment after JFK (like a EWR-LAX or something)?
You can only have one stopover (not two) when you opt for an open-jaw. Plus in your case, the departure and end cities have to be the same.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: AC A
Mini RTW Start and End Cities

If I were to start a Mini-RTW at YYZ, do a trip across the Atlantic or Pacific and visit three stops, can I return to a different city in North America, such as IAH or MEX, then find my own way back to YYZ? Or would that technically count as an open jaw?

Thank you.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Finally start to look at my RTW now considering chances are pretty high I will be heading to Asia/EU for work given my job search for NA has been...... meh

Ideally I would have go for

YVR-CDG-PVG-YYZ-YVR but thats over MPM so doh!

Now probably looking at

YVR-YYZ-YVR 25K Y redemption

YYZ-CDG(STOP)-PVG(Turnaround)- HND(STOP)- YYZ 150K J Redemption.

Will be using IKK via SE account to book

Looking at 24 hour layover in either Munich, Zurich, Seoul or Copenhagen

If you can choose between SAS, Swiss, LF, Asiana, SAS for their Long Haul Biz product, who would you choose and why?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Finally start to look at my RTW now considering chances are pretty high I will be heading to Asia/EU for work given my job search for NA has been...... meh

Now probably looking at

Looking at 24 hour layover in either Munich, Zurich, Seoul or Copenhagen

If you can choose between SAS, Swiss, LF, Asiana, SAS for their Long Haul Biz product, who would you choose and why?
I would say avoid LH and some OZ flights because of non direct aisle access.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack

Now probably looking at

Why not to something like:

YVR-CDGx-PVGx-FRA/MUC/CPH-YYZx-YVR

(with alayover <24h in FRA/MUC/CPH o the way back)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.