Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2017, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Interesting. Within region makes sense, but inter-region would be a question mark. For sure, Asia1->Indian subcontinent allows the usual 2+1 stops, and Asia1->Asia2 does, as well, though.

I don't think that's correct. I just dug up the information from the AE website:

28. On roundtrip rewards, stopovers are permitted as follows:

28.1. Travel within Canada or between Canada and the Continental USA (not including Hawaii/Puerto Rico): One stopover permitted in addition to the point of turnaround. One open jaw is permitted in lieu of the one stopover.

28.2. Between Canada/Cont. USA and Hawaii/Puerto Rico/Mexico/Central America/Caribbean:

28.2.1. Rule for rewards containing only Air Canada flight: Two stopovers are permitted in addition to the point of turnaround. One open jaw is permitted in lieu of one stopover.

28.2.2. Rule for rewards containing a minimum of one flight on a Star Alliance partner other than Air Canada: One stopover is permitted in addition to the point of turnaround. One open jaw is permitted in addition to the one stopover.

28.3. Intercontinental travel (travel between two continents): Two stopovers permitted in addition to the point of turnaround. One open jaw is permitted in lieu of one of the two stopovers.

28.4. Intracontinental travel (travel within the same continent) except for travel within Canada/Continental USA, or between Canada/Cont. USA and Hawaii/Puerto Rico/Mexico/Central America/Caribbean: Stopovers are not permitted. One open jaw is permitted.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 4:21 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I don't think that's correct. I just dug up the information from the AE website:

28. On roundtrip rewards, stopovers are permitted as follows:

28.1. Travel within Canada or between Canada and the Continental USA (not including Hawaii/Puerto Rico): One stopover permitted in addition to the point of turnaround. One open jaw is permitted in lieu of the one stopover.

28.2. Between Canada/Cont. USA and Hawaii/Puerto Rico/Mexico/Central America/Caribbean:

28.2.1. Rule for rewards containing only Air Canada flight: Two stopovers are permitted in addition to the point of turnaround. One open jaw is permitted in lieu of one stopover.

28.2.2. Rule for rewards containing a minimum of one flight on a Star Alliance partner other than Air Canada: One stopover is permitted in addition to the point of turnaround. One open jaw is permitted in addition to the one stopover.

28.3. Intercontinental travel (travel between two continents): Two stopovers permitted in addition to the point of turnaround. One open jaw is permitted in lieu of one of the two stopovers.

28.4. Intracontinental travel (travel within the same continent) except for travel within Canada/Continental USA, or between Canada/Cont. USA and Hawaii/Puerto Rico/Mexico/Central America/Caribbean: Stopovers are not permitted. One open jaw is permitted.
I know, I did read that same piece just now. But I just came back from NRT-ICN-SIN, stop, SIN-MLE, stop, MLE-SIN-BKK, stop, BKK-ICN-NRT, and this was completely legal.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: aeroplan, starwood, fairmont
thanks for everyone's input.
looks like we will have our work cut out for us. not booking for a while, but will confirm stop over between asia 1 and asia 2/europe 1 and europe 2
Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:00 pm

Try it in multi city. If it lets you do one stopover, you could probably pull off two
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: aeroplan
Looking for recommendations on business class mRTW.

Going to do YOW->Tokyo as a start.. gives me lots of allowance for stopovers. Need to stick within Star Alliance.

1st thought for a stop is Koh Samui, serviced by Thai.

Unsure on 2nd - so many options, but wondering if any experts here know some that are considered good bang-for-the buck - good planes, obscure locations still serviced by Star Alliance, or good lounges. (Avoiding LHR->YOW return would be great due to J class taxes.)

Looking for J class is fun - opposite of economy. Longer the flight, the better!
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Question about mini RTW's using AE

Hey everyone,

It's been a long time since I've been on these forums and had a few quick questions:

1) Are AE miles still useful for *A J/F?
2) MPM+5% rule still applies?
3) Unlimited >24 hour stopovers with 3 destination still the case?
4) Are there still carriers that don't have YQ for AE bookings?

Have a ton of AMEX/SPG points to convert and I'm curious if AE is the way to go still or if I should choose another carrier and do some research.

Thank you very much for the assistance in advance!!! Really appreciate this community
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
1. Yes
2. No, it's a weird Aeroplan-specific routing system now. There's a thread that talks about the mileages. Lots of good ones are still available.
3. Not "unlimited", but yes.
4. Yes, and I can't even recall if it's changed much in the past couple years.

And when are we grabbing that drink?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:05 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by canadiancow
1. Yes
2. No, it's a weird Aeroplan-specific routing system now. There's a thread that talks about the mileages. Lots of good ones are still available.
3. Not "unlimited", but yes.
4. Yes, and I can't even recall if it's changed much in the past couple years.

And when are we grabbing that drink?
Thank you for the help and OMG you are still here!!! Surprised you remember me after being away for years lol!

I'm in YYC now and work out of YVR/YWG almost exclusively. No travel besides the RTW I hope to book for this spring! Are you in YYC/YVR/YWG in the near future? If not, I'll make sure I SFO stopover at least 24 hours for that drink
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:29 pm

Has anyone been able too book a flight to USM?

I am thinking of YEG-YVR-TPE-BKK-USM USM-MEL MEL-AKL AKL-BNE-TPE-YVR-YEG

My issue is USM is only serviced via bkk and sin, but the sin flights are on silkair... I am assuming this would make usm unbookable? I believe one cannot book SQ flights on Silkair?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Correct. Neither Silkair flights nor Thai Smile flights are bookable using *A miles.

The easiest option may be to purchase a cheap ticket on Bangkok Airways.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by hearna
Has anyone been able too book a flight to USM?

I am thinking of YEG-YVR-TPE-BKK-USM USM-MEL MEL-AKL AKL-BNE-TPE-YVR-YEG

My issue is USM is only serviced via bkk and sin, but the sin flights are on silkair... I am assuming this would make usm unbookable? I believe one cannot book SQ flights on Silkair?
SilkAir is not only not bookable, but on the off chance your SQ flight EVER gets swapped for an MI flight, you're done for - AC will not be able to reissue your ticket, even if SQ correctly protects you onto the new flight. It's weird as hell.

TG does have one or two flights per day to USM, but they're a bit hard to book because, well, only one or two per day. PG (Bangkok Airways) is the much easier option. Just transfer 5,000 SPG to JAL and use their neverending PG promo (5,000 miles for up to 3 flights on PG as long as under X miles). Best deal ever, considering there are like 12 flights a day to USM. If you don't have SPG, just open a SPG Amex, that'll get you 4 people's worth of flights!
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:47 pm

SilkAir is not only not bookable, but on the off chance your SQ flight EVER gets swapped for an MI flight, you're done for - AC will not be able to reissue your ticket, even if SQ correctly protects you onto the new flight. It's weird as hell.

TG does have one or two flights per day to USM, but they're a bit hard to book because, well, only one or two per day. PG (Bangkok Airways) is the much easier option. Just transfer 5,000 SPG to JAL and use their neverending PG promo (5,000 miles for up to 3 flights on PG as long as under X miles). Best deal ever, considering there are like 12 flights a day to USM. If you don't have SPG, just open a SPG Amex, that'll get you 4 people's worth of flights!
So your saying anyone can just use 5k SPG points, to cover 2 round trips bkk-usm? I found that the flights are approx 600cad for 2 rnd trips... 5k spg points has a value of 100 to 200...

If thats the case thats an amazing find!
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:53 pm

So your saying anyone can just use 5k SPG points, to cover 2 round trips bkk-usm? I found that the flights are approx 600cad for 2 rnd trips... 5k spg points has a value of 100 to 200...

If thats the case thats an amazing find!
Yup. Note the flight promo ends Sep 2017 (for now; it's been "extended" for the last 5 years, haha).

https://www.jal.co.jp/121campaign/pg.../index_en.html

Make sure to:

a) call JAL first to make sure there are flights. There are 12 per day, but during high seasons the availability can be low during high seasons). I had no problem finding BKK-USM a few months out, then they got more sparse. I had zero problems booking BKK-REP in mid-December, though, 3 flights per day out of 4 were open.
b) get a referral if you don't have a friend with one

[edit]
c) maximise! the JAL promo permits triangle trips (ie BKK - Chiang Mai - Ko Samui - BKK) for the same price.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:58 pm

Yup. Note the flight promo ends Sep 2017 (for now; it's been "extended" for the last 5 years, haha).

https://www.jal.co.jp/121campaign/pg.../index_en.html

Make sure to:

a) call JAL first to make sure there are flights. There are 12 per day, but during high seasons the availability can be low during high seasons). I had no problem finding BKK-USM a few months out, then they got more sparse. I had zero problems booking BKK-REP in mid-December, though, 3 flights per day out of 4 were open.
b) get a referral if you don't have a friend with one

[edit]
c) maximise! the JAL promo permits triangle trips (ie BKK - Chiang Mai - Ko Samui - BKK) for the same price.
Thats pretty cool, what kind of fees are involved? Booking/Taxes?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:01 pm

Thats pretty cool, what kind of fees are involved? Booking/Taxes?
I don't have my eticket handy (JAL sucks about mailing etickets... be forewarned), but:

- BKK-REP was something like $50 USD for _three_ people
- BKK-USM was less than half of that (domestic fees are VERY cheap)

There are no change or cancellation fees, however, the ticket is nonchg / nonref 48 hours and less prior. Up to that point you can do anything you want.

JAL really does have a pretty decent program, heh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.