Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by snowboardpunk
For mini rtw trips is it still 2 stop overs and a open jaw plus 10 layovers?
Isn't it 2 stopovers plus destination OR 1 stopover and an open jaw?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by snowboardpunk
For mini rtw trips is it still 2 stop overs and a open jaw plus 10 layovers? I wanted something like JFK-NRT-ICN-BKK-JFK with a bunch of short layovers in japan,taiwan,shanghai,hong kong, and vietnam. Mainly just to stop and eat.

and you wanna avoid air canada flights correct?
Two stopovers OR one stopover plus an open jaw.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 5:40 pm

Hi everyone,

Was just wondering if someone would be willing to provide me some assistance with booking a mini RTW trip. I am looking at travelling from Ottawa to Hong Kong and Tokyo and then back to Ottawa next January (2017) and have been playing around with the Aeroplan booking tool and seem to come up with a trip from YOW -> HGK -> NRT or HND -> YOW that will cost 75K points and about $200 in taxes and fees. My plan is to then book a return flight from HGK to BKK since it is fairly inexpensive and squeeze that in during my trip as well. My question is, are there any routing options or ways to book this that would allow me to add in another cool destination? Also, is $200 for taxes and fees a reasonable price (I am trying to book with only airlines that don't have fuel surcharges) or is it possible to reduce this price?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to DM me or respond here if anyone would be willing to provide me with their thoughts/experience.

Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:47 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
North America to Australia Via Europe

Hello
I was wondering if anyone could give me a little help on routing a trip Starting in Dallas Tx with a stop in Europe (near Italy) and then continue to Australia as the turn around then up to Asia (stop in Bangkok? or Hong Kong) then home to Dallas. I would like to do it in F or J. Thank you for any input you may have.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 9:06 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
@laxplayer
You should be able to do that all in one booking (i.e., without the open jaw and paid ticket in the middle). It'll require doing a multicity booking but should be straightforward enough and doable online.
You could probably fit in TPE or somewhere in mainland China for a <24hour stop too without going over the distance limits. To do that you'd need to find the available flights then call up and feed them to an agent one by one.
$200 is a very reasonable price for all the taxes and fees.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum, SPG Gold
I don't know if this is the right place to post this since its not rtw, i was wondering if I could get confirmation that the following is a valid booking and if there were any suggestions to improving it.

YEG-YUL AC
YUL-ZRH LX
ZRH-CDG LX Stop
CDG-BRH SN
BRH-FCO SN Stop
FCO-IST TK Destination
IST-SFO TK
SFO-YEG UA
Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Trying to sketch out a RTW with stopovers as follows USA-BKK-DPS-NRT-USA-CUS-USA (with whatever transfers are involved). My guess is that they won't allow stopovers in country/zone of departure, but if the Star Alliance flights NRT-CUS transfer in LAX or IAH, is it possible to add a stopover at LAX or IAH?

Edit: found my own answer. No cannot stopover in departure country. I think I will start in Mexico so I can then do stopover in US. But this raises another question. Can one have 2 stopovers in same city?

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Jan 20, 2016 at 1:33 pm
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by ntle
I don't know if this is the right place to post this since its not rtw, i was wondering if I could get confirmation that the following is a valid booking and if there were any suggestions to improving it.

YEG-YUL AC
YUL-ZRH LX
ZRH-CDG LX Stop
CDG-BRH SN
BRH-FCO SN Stop
FCO-IST TK Destination
IST-SFO TK
SFO-YEG UA
You could call in and ask what the MPM is for YEG-IST. If IST-SFO-YEG falls below that, then yes this should be valid; if not then no.

You will also be paying Europe 2 rate for IST.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:34 am

Deleted

Last edited by LearningToFly; Jan 21, 2016 at 8:46 am Reason: ...
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:01 pm

Can I book a 1 way online ( more convenient for me that day to book online) and then add the return at a later date (when becomes available) by calling Aeroplan and have it all under one confirmation number? Think that you only pay the calling fee once and I will need to add yet another segment at a later date.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by valleyrun38
Can I book a 1 way online ( more convenient for me that day to book online) and then add the return at a later date (when becomes available) by calling Aeroplan and have it all under one confirmation number? Think that you only pay the calling fee once and I will need to add yet another segment at a later date.
If your not planning any stops then why not just book 2 one ways?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 1:20 pm

Am flying SIN to YYZ on the return so need to add either SIN to HKG (will have just been there a few weeks before) or SIN to ICN ( where it looks to be pretty cold in February). So I will need to call in and add a segment - guess I could add it onto the return 1 way flight? Also have to buy a paid business class ticket for my spouse so don't know which way would be cheaper to purchase - through HKG or ICN.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by hearna
If your not planning any stops then why not just book 2 one ways?
Am flying SIN to YYZ on the return so need to add either SIN to HKG (will have just been there a few weeks before) or SIN to ICN ( where it looks to be pretty cold in February). So I will need to call in and add a segment - guess I could add it onto the return 1 way flight? Also have to buy a paid business class ticket for my spouse so don't know which way would be cheaper to purchase - through HKG or ICN.
Don't understand

anyway, FYI
cannot stopover > 24 hours on a 1-way
$90+tax to make any VOLUNTARY change (add/remove segment)
$30+tax call-in fee per booking

If you have to call, may as well book it as round-trip
Old Jan 24, 2016, 8:00 am

My plan is to book YYZ to HKG and the cruise to SIN. Can I book a 1 way YYZ to HKG and then 3 week later book a 1 way HKG to YYZ and then a week after that call in and add SIN to HKG? Was not sure if I could add on the final segment (SIN to HKG) on to a one way. Would 2 one ways use fewer points?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
My plan is to book YYZ to HKG and the cruise to SIN. Can I book a 1 way YYZ to HKG and then 3 week later book a 1 way HKG to YYZ and then a week after that call in and add SIN to HKG? Was not sure if I could add on the final segment (SIN to HKG) on to a one way. Would 2 one ways use fewer points?
Two one-ways use the same points as a round-trip. One-ways do not allow stop-overs unless they are 23h55 or shorter.

If you booked as you've laid out, what you COULD do is book YYZ-HKG, then later book HKG-YYZ, then later pay a $90 change fee to combine your two one-ways into a round-trip, at which point you'd be free to add the open-jaw for SIN-HKG.

This would likely be cheaper than keeping the two one-ways and buying SIN-HKG with cash, but SIN will cost you an additional 5,000 points and add a bit of fuel surcharge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.