Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
As a follow up I booked this trip today, no fuss, no muss even with the open jaw. The very helpful Isabelle was very surprised that there was any inventory to be had in J YVR-AKL, but it all worked out.

The fully expanded trip is:
YVR - SYD - AC J
SYD - AKL - NZ J Stop
AKL - NAN - NZ J Stop
MEL - BKK - TG J (MEL is third stop)
BKK - TPE - TG J
TPE - YVR - AC J
Thanks again for the pointers.
Nice bookings. Btw, what search tool did you use to find availability for these segments? especially the AKL,NAN portions?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: AC SE, WJ Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Ambassador
I booked TK YYZ-IST 2 seats in J for next March no issue just a couple weeks ago.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:39 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Commie
Nice bookings. Btw, what search tool did you use to find availability for these segments? especially the AKL,NAN portions?
I used KVS Availability Tool searching via either AC (mostly) and NH as needed.

IMHO, KVS is easier to use than Expert Flyer for reward travel, especially when doing these segment by segment plans. I'm no expert, but EF kept giving me a lot of mixed cabins. Your mileage may vary, use whatever works.

By the the way, the original trip went to AMS after MEL, but my pal there wasn't going to be in town, so we're just coming back to YVR TPAC.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by NB_Falcon
I booked TK YYZ-IST 2 seats in J for next March no issue just a couple weeks ago.
There is nothing available now.

TK recently started applying married segments logic to some flights. For example, YUL-IST standalone is not available, but YUL-IST-VKO is available. Maybe the same issue with YYZ. Also, some routes used to have as many as 8 award business seats released per flight regularly, which were recently reduced to maximum of 4. And some routes such as JNB are never released in business.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: TK*G, AC
Originally Posted by Tifosi
Just booked:

YEG-YUL AC Y
YUL-ZRH LX J *stop*
ZRH-IST TK J
IST-BKK TK J
BKK-CNX TG J *destination*
CNX-BKK TG J
BKK-HND TG J *stop*
NRT-YVR AC J
YVR-YEG AC J

Total of 155k miles and $357 + $30 phone booking fee. The YQ made up $183 of the total fee.

The plan is to spend time in Florence but that is a tough place to get on *A. It seems that quite a few of the *A carriers only fly to Tuscany seasonally and, with this trip being in January, my options were limited without backtracking. I found it made more sense to just get to ZRH and book a separate itinerary to get to FLR or PSA.
Not strictly a Mini-RTW question but it stems from the Mini-RTW that I posted in the other thread, so...

I’ll be booking a separate revenue ticket on LX in Y for ZRH-FLR for the same morning I arrive in ZRH on my award ticket. Will I be able to link the PNRs so I can check my luggage all the way through from YEG-FLR or will I be forced to retrieve and re-check my luggage in ZRH?

I’ve just noticed that the cheapest LX fares don't include checked luggage, even for *G, so being able to check my luggage all the way through would be great.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: Altitude S100K, Avis President’s Club, MileaglePlus Platinum, Starwood Platinum, NEXUS, Marrio
It can be a pain to search through all those flights and get what you want... especially if you are looking for Business Class (or even First). I had to write a little program to search one way segments for two people from A -> B, then B -> C with variable dates, etc. However in the end I ended up with 2 tickets in J for:
IAH -> YYZ
YYZ -> HND (stop)
HDN -> KUL
KUL -> SIN
SIN -> MLE (stop)
MLE -> SIN
SIN -> BKK (stop)
BKK -> TPE
TPE -> IAH

I found as most people have written about, getting J on Singapore Airlines is hard. I saved 10K in points as my furthest point in my trip was MLE which is 150K in J vs 155K (Asia 2 zone for BKK). This same trick can be done for the middle east where its 165K.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by echino
Please report here if you were able to persuade Aeroplan to book Ethiopian business class. When I called and tried, the agent told me they are not allowed to do direct booking. I did not push hard, and did not ask for a supervisor, so I am very interested if it's possible if you push.

Currently Aeroplan is not showing any award business class seats on Ethiopian, on any route, on any date.
Aeroplan: I can only see ET Y seats
United: I do not see ANY ET awards seats
ANA: I see both ET Y and J seats.

I called Aeroplan and asked the rep to check for ET J seats, and as expected she said there was no availability, I then mentioned that I am also an ANA member, and I can see and book ET J seats at the ANA website. But before I could escalate to ask for a supervisor to do a direct booking, she said that others have been asking about this and had been instructed to inform me that UNLESS it shows up on Aeroplan's systems, they can NOT book ET J for me. She was very curt and blunt, so I didn't push for a supervisor.

I haven't called back to try with another rep yet.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:00 pm

Is one stopover plus one turn around still valid for NA booking?

I tried to book SFO-YYC(stop)-EWR(des)-SFO online. But it told me not valid.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Which city from YVR has the biggest MPM and allows a RTW, is that common knowledge? Logic and geography would dictate JNB/CPT but I'm not sure.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Which city from YVR has the biggest MPM and allows a RTW, is that common knowledge? Logic and geography would dictate JNB/CPT but I'm not sure.
When I was looking it was JNB (16362 MPM), although PER (14765 MPM) was pretty far too.

You can eyeball it somewhat here.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I was looking it was JNB (16362 MPM), although PER (14765 MPM) was pretty far too.

You can eyeball it somewhat here.
​​​​​​
thanks! Didn't think PER would work, but YVR-FRA-SIN-PER is just barely below 14k, interesting.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
​​​​​​
thanks! Didn't think PER would work, but YVR-FRA-SIN-PER is just barely below 14k, interesting.
Yeah, I did some planning recently and recall that I could make YVR-AKL-PER-SIN-FRA-AMS-YYZ-YVR (or something like that) work within the MPM limit.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: HH Gold, MR Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Keisuke Himuro
Is one stopover plus one turn around still valid for NA booking?

I tried to book SFO-YYC(stop)-EWR(des)-SFO online. But it told me not valid.
I think one stopover plus the destination is still allowed. I'm guessing your route through YYC is over the permitted mileage for SFO-EWR.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, I did some planning recently and recall that I could make YVR-AKL-PER-SIN-FRA-AMS-YYZ-YVR (or something like that) work within the MPM limit.
Yeah I need/want something like

YVR-FRA(or MUC)-ZRH//SIN-PER (14029 or 14187)

PER-AKL-MEL//-(LAX-)YVR (13154 or 13968 via UA&LAX if AC MEL-YVR stays seasonal)

PER as destination, MEL&ZRH as stopovers.

Do those routings seem allowed? If PER MPM is 14765 then they should be.

(also, PER-SIN-FRA-AMS-YYZ-YVR is more than 14765? )
Old Aug 8, 2017, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by smiley90
which city from yvr has the biggest mpm and allows a rtw, is that common knowledge? Logic and geography would dictate jnb/cpt but i'm not sure.
yvr-mru 16,710

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.