Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
>> I was selecting routes like YYZ-HND on AC which doesn't have a high surcharge.

Your origin or destination is NOT Japan, therefore low/zero YQ on those segments doesn't apply.

YQ is calculated based on origin <-> destination.

I was researching for a RTW and TG has no YQ for reward flights originating from BKK. But when the flight is part of a RTW (YYZ - SYD) , YQ for TG kicks in.

Last edited by beep88; Aug 14, 2017 at 9:36 am
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by beep88
>> I was selecting routes like YYZ-HND on AC which doesn't have a high surcharge.

Your origin or destination is NOT Japan, therefore low/zero YQ on those segments doesn't apply.

YQ is calculated based on origin <-> destination.

I was researching for a RTW and TG has no YQ for reward flights originating from BKK. But when the flight is part of a RTW (YYZ - SYD) , YQ for TG kicks in.
Thanks for the info! I'm assuming the YYZ HND on AC is responsible for the bulk of the YQ on this itinerary.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by beep88
Are you sure the TG portion was responsible for the YQ on the YYZ-SYD search? When I was doing searches for SYD-FRA for example (all on TG) with just a layover in BKK, there was still no YQ.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:18 pm

Can someone explain me what are YQ and TG? How are they calculated?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Keisuke Himuro
Can someone explain me what are YQ and TG? How are they calculated?
TG = Thai Airlines

YQ = Once known as fuel surcharges now known as carrier surcharges

As for how they are calculated that's the genie in the bottle which no one can uncap.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by ti3n1
Was trying to book a reward ticket YYZ-HND-SIN-PER-JNB-GRU-YYZ and was quoted $986 of which $500+ in carrier surcharges for 1 person in Business. This seems unusual to me as I was selecting routes like YYZ-HND on AC which doesn't have a high surcharge. When I added the carrier surcharges from the individual legs it doesn't even come close to the amount they quoted me. Can someone please advise?

Here's the breakdown of my itinerary:

YYZ-HND AC = Stopover
SIN-PER SQ = Destination
PER-JNB SQ = Stopover
JNB-GRU SAA
GRU-YYZ AC
you are getting charged YYZ to Australia YQ for having the privilege of flying AC for the first leg. You'll need to fly Eva to knock it out, and hope it doesn't go over mpm, which it might.

Generally, the existence of YQ on the trans Pac or trans Atlantic flights determines if youare going to be charged origin to destination
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:24 am

Hi all,
I've booked an itinerary a while back. Now I have the potential to arrive a day earlier to my destination. I'm trying to figure out approximately how much YQ I'll be charged.
My proposed route will be
DFW-YVR-NRT AC
HND-GMP NH
ICN-TPE-HKG BR

I have a hard time trying to get ITA to show me the surcharge. If I understand correctly, I will be hit with the YQ for AC from DFW-HKG. I just don't know the approximate cost. Does anyone know or can propose a way to estimate?
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by newbie2008
Hi all,
I've booked an itinerary a while back. Now I have the potential to arrive a day earlier to my destination. I'm trying to figure out approximately how much YQ I'll be charged.
My proposed route will be
DFW-YVR-NRT AC
HND-GMP NH
ICN-TPE-HKG BR

I have a hard time trying to get ITA to show me the surcharge. If I understand correctly, I will be hit with the YQ for AC from DFW-HKG. I just don't know the approximate cost. Does anyone know or can propose a way to estimate?
IMO, best way to estimate is to Aeroplan.com multi-city to get an idea
DFW-NRT
NRT-ICN
ICN-TPE-HKG or whatever your return is

but..you cannot stopover on a one-way
Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:26 pm

I called today to book the following, and it came back as valid but the surcharges came to $933.12 per person. I can't figure out why it's so high. I know it's not the best way to check, but when I plug the flights into the Aeroplan site individually, the charges are much lower.

MCO - EWR UA Y
EWR - BOS UA Y
BOS - ZRH LX J
ZRH - NCE LX J (stop)
NCE - IST TK J
IST - SIN SQ J
SIN -MEL SQ J (stop)
MEL - SIN SQ J
SIN - HND SQ J (stop)
HND - YYZ AC J
YYZ - EWR UA Y
EWR - MCO UA Y
Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You can't go segment by segment for YQ.

I suspect you're being charged YQ on MEL-MCO because of your HND-YYZ on AC, even though HND-YYZ has low/no YQ (I assume - I can't check YQ on AC segments).

Last edited by canadiancow; Aug 19, 2017 at 9:49 pm Reason: Airport code typo
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I suspect you're being charged YQ on MEL-MCO because of your HND-YYZ on AC, even though HND-YYC has low/no YQ (I assume - I can't check YQ on AC segments).
Thanks! I'm going to try getting to YYZ with BR instead.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by melissayyz
I called today to book the following, and it came back as valid but the surcharges came to $933.12 per person. I can't figure out why it's so high. I know it's not the best way to check, but when I plug the flights into the Aeroplan site individually, the charges are much lower.

MCO - EWR UA Y
EWR - BOS UA Y
BOS - ZRH LX J
ZRH - NCE LX J (stop)
NCE - IST TK J
IST - SIN SQ J
SIN -MEL SQ J (stop)
MEL - SIN SQ J
SIN - HND SQ J (stop)
HND - YYZ AC J
YYZ - EWR UA Y
EWR - MCO UA Y
That does seem EXCESSIVE for only 1 AC segment
UA/LX/TK/SQ are all YQ-free
I guess look for BR via TPE (YYZ/ORD/SFO/LAX/IAH/JFK) (or even Air China?) for HND-*-MCO alternative then
Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by melissayyz

MCO - EWR UA Y
EWR - BOS UA Y
BOS - ZRH LX J
ZRH - NCE LX J (stop)
NCE - IST TK J
IST - SIN SQ J
SIN -MEL SQ J (stop)
MEL - SIN SQ J
SIN - HND SQ J (stop)
HND - YYZ AC J
YYZ - EWR UA Y
EWR - MCO UA Y

Is it allowed to go back to the same city to return? the IST-SIN, SIN-MEL,MEL-SIN, SIN-HND?
Didn't think that type of routing was permitted. Good to know it is.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:21 am

Thanks for the help — ended up changing to the following for $321.96 in taxes. Much better than $933! I took out the MCO segments because it was over MPM. (I wasn't planning to fly the last legs from YYZ anyway.)

YYZ - YUL AC J
YUL - ZRH LX J
ZRH - NCE LX J (stop)
NCE - IST TK J
IST - SIN SQ J
SIN - MEL SQ J (stop)
MEL - SIN SQ J
SIN - FUK SQ J (stop)
FUK - TPE BR J (Hello Kitty flight!)
TPE - YYZ BR J
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
IMO, best way to estimate is to Aeroplan.com multi-city to get an idea
DFW-NRT
NRT-ICN
ICN-TPE-HKG or whatever your return is

but..you cannot stopover on a one-way
Is it possible to call them and ask for a tax and fee difference BEFORE making the change?

My original itinerary
DFW-IAH-NRT [UA] (Stopover)
HND-GMP [NH]
ICN-TPE [BR]
TPE-HKG [BR] (Destination)
HKG-ZRH [LX] (Stopover)
ZRH-EWR-DFW [UA]

I want to change the first segment to
DFW-YVR-NRT [AC]

I have done this in Aeroplan and the carrier surcharge was acceptable. I can't enter all the segments on the site, but would the following yield similar carrier surcharge?
DFW-YVR-NRT-HKG [AC] [NH]
HKG-ZRH [LX]
ZRH-EWR-DFW [UA]

I have read that HKG as destination limits the amount of carrier surcharge. In my mRTW, HKG would be my turnaround point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.