Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Not exactly the right thread, but I couldn't seem to find a totally general thread (if it's there I'm blind) anyone know how to select seats on SAS? I can view my booking on their site, the US version says to change booking view from the Swedish version, which works, but the link in there to select seats does nothing.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by splicer100
That makes sense. I was just wondering if I found a routing that came in under the MPM if Aeroplan would ticket it at the lower rate. I believe the MPM for LAX-ATH is 11471. Seems quite high.
I see what you're asking. The big thing is not to backtrack from Athens. Most flights I checked went through MXP, LHR, ZRH, FRA, etc. But I was able to route LAX-IST-ATH, then ATH-PEK-SFO/ICN/etc-LAX with the multi-city option. I couldn't get a routing LAX-ATH to show up Trans-Pacific without building an itinerary. I believe it would show up as the Europe rate, but have never tried and don't have the experience as a lot of people here. I say just call in to price it out. My options were 3/20, 3/28 and 4/4 (just random dates.)
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
It's not possible to route through a city twice in the same direction, I'm assuming? (e.g. to accommodate a stopover in a city that only has flights from one other city Origin-B-Stop-B-Destination)
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
It's not possible to route through a city twice in the same direction, I'm assuming? (e.g. to accommodate a stopover in a city that only has flights from one other city Origin-B-Stop-B-Destination)
Correct

e.g. YYZ-IST-CDG (stop)-IST-HKG (dest) would fail as you've visited IST twice before destination. YYZ-IST-CDG; CDG-ZRH-HKG is fine

YYZ-IST-HKG (dest), HKG-IST-CDG (stop) would work as IST is on both sides
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Generally, you're not allowed to connect in the same city twice in one direction.

I have been successful getting an exception in the case you describe, i.e. the desired stopover city is only reachable from a single airport.

E.g. YVR-YYZ-YGKx-YYZ-FRA

However, it took a good amount of effort, checking with supervisors. I'm not aware of an official policy posted by AE on this issue.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
SAS Selection

I downloaded the Lufthansa app, and used the Lufthansa website itself. So far, my seats have stuck. This worked, despite having no LH flights on my mini-rtw (I have flights on OS and SK).

Hope that helps!

Originally Posted by drvannostren
Not exactly the right thread, but I couldn't seem to find a totally general thread (if it's there I'm blind) anyone know how to select seats on SAS? I can view my booking on their site, the US version says to change booking view from the Swedish version, which works, but the link in there to select seats does nothing.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Generally, you're not allowed to connect in the same city twice in one direction.

I have been successful getting an exception in the case you describe, i.e. the desired stopover city is only reachable from a single airport.

E.g. YVR-YYZ-YGKx-YYZ-FRA

However, it took a good amount of effort, checking with supervisors. I'm not aware of an official policy posted by AE on this issue.
Interesting. Might be worth trying then. The specific airport I'm interested in is DYG, which is only reachable on *A via PEK. If that's not possible the only alternative would be CSX and then bus/train, which is obviously not great

There IS a Junyao flight DYG-KMG, but I have absolutely no idea if they even make awards available or have awards for Aeroplan, since they're only a "connecting" partner. I can't find anything, anyway.

If you've had success I might call in a few times and ask, and if the consensus I get is that it's not possible, then so be it. but anyone having had success is hope!
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:26 pm

Interesting. Might be worth trying then. The specific airport I'm interested in is DYG, which is only reachable on *A via PEK. If that's not possible the only alternative would be CSX and then bus/train, which is obviously not great

There IS a Junyao flight DYG-KMG, but I have absolutely no idea if they even make awards available or have awards for Aeroplan, since they're only a "connecting" partner. I can't find anything, anyway.

If you've had success I might call in a few times and ask, and if the consensus I get is that it's not possible, then so be it. but anyone having had success is hope!
Doesn't Air China also fly to Chengdu (CTU)?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by TTC192Rocket
I downloaded the Lufthansa app, and used the Lufthansa website itself. So far, my seats have stuck. This worked, despite having no LH flights on my mini-rtw (I have flights on OS and SK).

Hope that helps!
Which record locator did you use? I tried using the Aeroplan one, and the SK one and neither was able to open on the lufthy app.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer05
Doesn't Air China also fly to Chengdu (CTU)?
Hu, not sure how I missed that. Awesome!

edit: 3x weekly, that's how I must've missed it

Last edited by Smiley90; Oct 8, 2017 at 4:08 pm
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
I used the SK one... It is the same code for my OS, OZ, SK, and BR flights. The only seat I couldn't select was for AC, which is my first flight.

Originally Posted by drvannostren
Which record locator did you use? I tried using the Aeroplan one, and the SK one and neither was able to open on the lufthy app.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
I've done IST-ICN-YVR
The problem I am having is finding first class on ATH/IST to Asia/vice versa. There doesn't seem to be carriers flying first on these routes.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: AC SE
My first RTW - opinions?

2 passengers, aiming for business class (on the long haul segements, at least), we want to hit MLE (destination) and VCE (stopover) in next April or May. Here is what I was able to piece together using UA.com to see availability in business saver.

YQB-YUL Y (AC)
YUL-BOS J (AC)
BOS-IST J (TK)
IST-MLE J (TK) - DESTINATION

MLE-IST J (TK)
IST-VCE J (TK) - STOPOVER

VCE-ZRH J (LX)
ZRH-BOS J (LX) - STOPOVER
BOS-YYZ J (AC)
YYZ-YQB Y (AC)

I seem forced to route through BOS both on the outbound and on the return due to the lack of availability on alternative connecting options. I am also forced to add in an overnight in BOS on the way back again due to availability.

I would like to streamline the itinerary by suppressing a connecting point on both the outbound and return but can't seem to find suitable options. Any thoughts?

What can I expect in terms of YQ? Another question I have is, should I decide to route through DEL with AC on the outbound, how much YQ would that generate? I am having issues simulating this with the AE search engine...
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jasdou
2 passengers, aiming for business class (on the long haul segements, at least), we want to hit MLE (destination) and VCE (stopover) in next April or May. Here is what I was able to piece together using UA.com to see availability in business saver.

YQB-YUL Y (AC)
YUL-BOS J (AC)
BOS-IST J (TK)
IST-MLE J (TK) - DESTINATION

MLE-IST J (TK)
IST-VCE J (TK) - STOPOVER

VCE-ZRH J (LX)
ZRH-BOS J (LX) - STOPOVER
BOS-YYZ J (AC)
YYZ-YQB Y (AC)

I seem forced to route through BOS both on the outbound and on the return due to the lack of availability on alternative connecting options. I am also forced to add in an overnight in BOS on the way back again due to availability.

I would like to streamline the itinerary by suppressing a connecting point on both the outbound and return but can't seem to find suitable options. Any thoughts?

What can I expect in terms of YQ? Another question I have is, should I decide to route through DEL with AC on the outbound, how much YQ would that generate? I am having issues simulating this with the AE search engine...
Do you want a stopover in boston? Because a <24h overnight doesn't count as a stopover, that's just a lengthy layover.

Reducing the outbound to 1 connection with low YQ would ONLY work via YQB-YUL-IST if you get TK availability on YUL-IST.

There IS a seasonal WK ZRH-MLE flight (so, YQB-YUL-ZRH-MLE would work), but I don't even know if that's bookable with aeroplan. I haven't seen availability for it, either. Would be an LX J class product though

On the way back, low-YQ options to have just 2 connecting points (so, one less than what you currently have) between VCE and YQB would be:

LX ZRH-ORD/YUL/EWR
UA MUC/FRA/BRU-EWR/ORD
LOT WAW-YYZ/ORD/EWR

don't actually know what SAS YQ is like, but check that via ARN too, possibly?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: AC SE
Do you want a stopover in boston? Because a <24h overnight doesn't count as a stopover, that's just a lengthy layover.

Reducing the outbound to 1 connection with low YQ would ONLY work via YQB-YUL-IST if you get TK availability on YUL-IST.

There IS a seasonal WK ZRH-MLE flight (so, YQB-YUL-ZRH-MLE would work), but I don't even know if that's bookable with aeroplan. I haven't seen availability for it, either. Would be an LX J class product though

On the way back, low-YQ options to have just 2 connecting points (so, one less than what you currently have) between VCE and YQB would be:

LX ZRH-ORD/YUL/EWR
UA MUC/FRA/BRU-EWR/ORD
LOT WAW-YYZ/ORD/EWR

don't actually know what SAS YQ is like, but check that via ARN too, possibly?
I have simplified the itinerary greatly by starting and ending the trip in YUL and doing VCE before MLE. That worked out great!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.