Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by GiantCow
Sorry can't help with your surcharge question but I've been looking into a award flight with 2 stopovers for next year.

Did you just look up each leg individually as one-ways and call in to book? Or did you use the multicity tool and book it all online?
I looked up each segment individually to call in and book. The multi-city tool online is limited (you can only enter 3 flgihts). If that's all you need, then you can use the online tool and save yourself the 30 cad fee. My itinerary contains 11 segment so I must call.

On a further note, if you do decide to go for a mRTW, the mutlicity tool online has its purpose. I wanted to visit Asia and Europe. I didn't plan for Hong Kong, but due to the rules involved with mRTW, I must use Hong Kong as a destination. Otherwise there's not enough miles for me to stopover in Europe. At the same time, I must be careful regarding what I use as connection from Hong Kong to Europe, otherwise I'll be over the MPM limit for my itinerary! The multi-city tool can help to determine the overall big picture.

My initial search using the mutli-city tool was
DFW - TPE
TPE - ZRH
ZRH - DFW

That didn't return result. DFW - TPE didn't have enough distance.

My next search
DFW - HKG (HKG is the other city I wanted to visit in Asia 1 region)
HKG - ZRH
ZRH - DFW

That works depending on the connection I use for HKG-ZRH.

Hope that helps!
Old May 29, 2017, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Are you talking about FUK or ICN?

Because Domestic FUK is 10m from Hakata Station, and 15 from Tenjin. You'll have to add another 15 for the shuttle between the domestic and international terminals though.

If you're talking about ICN, there is a "City Airport Terminal" in Gangnam-gu where you can check in your bags, so you can print your BP and not have to get to the airport early to check in bags. However, the busses and shuttles aren't particularly quick, and traffic can be really bad near the bridges so keep that in mind.
Thank you for your response. I meant ICN. The reason I connected through FUK (3 hours connection) is so that I would arrive in ICN at 1 P.M., which would give me decent time to see the city. The only direct flight from HND-ICN would arrive at 4:00 P.M., which would be a bit too late.
Old May 29, 2017, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by newbie2008
I looked up each segment individually to call in and book. The multi-city tool online is limited (you can only enter 3 flgihts). If that's all you need, then you can use the online tool and save yourself the 30 cad fee. My itinerary contains 11 segment so I must call.

On a further note, if you do decide to go for a mRTW, the mutlicity tool online has its purpose. I wanted to visit Asia and Europe. I didn't plan for Hong Kong, but due to the rules involved with mRTW, I must use Hong Kong as a destination. Otherwise there's not enough miles for me to stopover in Europe. At the same time, I must be careful regarding what I use as connection from Hong Kong to Europe, otherwise I'll be over the MPM limit for my itinerary! The multi-city tool can help to determine the overall big picture.

My initial search using the mutli-city tool was
DFW - TPE
TPE - ZRH
ZRH - DFW

That didn't return result. DFW - TPE didn't have enough distance.

My next search
DFW - HKG (HKG is the other city I wanted to visit in Asia 1 region)
HKG - ZRH
ZRH - DFW

That works depending on the connection I use for HKG-ZRH.

Hope that helps!
Very helpful. Thanks!
Old May 29, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
The reason I'm asking is that the flight search is back today. I was able to search through each segment and add up the charges. While I know a complete itinerary is more complex, but I thought that the total charges won't be greater than the sum of the individual segments.
You wish.

For example segments to/from Japan, HKG have no YQ.

Was doing one way searches from SIN to Europe and there is no YQ on TG.

But you bet if these segments are part of a larger itinerary YQ will apply.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:32 pm

However, I've read in another thread that Aeroplan doesn't consider GMP and ICN to be coterminal. If I fly into GMP and fly out of ICN, that will count as an open jaw (which will nullify my stopover in Zurich).
Interesting, where did you see that GMP/ICN are not co-terminal?

I thought aeroplan awards are based on city, not airport?
Old May 29, 2017, 7:46 pm

I thought the same thing. I've read that in the booked mRTW thread; it was quite recent. Someone mentioned that when they were talking to an agent and the agent would count that as an open jaw. I was not brave enough to ask during my booking. I had to wait over an hour and the agent was getting restless after all the flights I'm telling her. This all happened during the time they took away the searching international flight segment by segment. I was just happy to burn my miles!

I may call back to change my itinerary a bit (I was told that they could change it segment by segment). If I take out DFW-YVR, I could still save 100 cad (counting the changed fee). I didn't know that flight proved to be so costly.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
GMP and ICN most definitely ARE co-terminals, as are HND/NRT, and TSA/TPE.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:16 pm

Decision on Cancelling/Rebook vs Changing Award ticket

I have booked a mRTW ticket recently. Since it was my first time, I have made some mistakes. In light of that (combined with LX now being available again), I want to make some changes. I have to make changes both ways (200 cad).

1. I could cancel my ticket and paid 150 cad and start again. All the seats I wanted are still available (I'm not counting on my cancelled seat going back to inventory). I see two problems with this. I don't know when my miles will be redeposited. And if I book a new ticket, would I have to pay an additional 30 cad booking fee (which means a saving of only 20 cad)?

2. I could just cough up the 200 cad and make my changes segments by segment. I would come out about equal since I will be taking away a carrier with high YQ.

What would you guys do?

Last edited by newbie2008; Jun 1, 2017 at 5:57 pm Reason: The title was vague
Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
I'd 1000% do the second one to avoid losing a segment or more.

Would be good to use a relevant thread title too...as yours is very vague.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
My experience is that when you cancel an award, the miles are back in your account right away. That said, I wouldn't take the chance of cancelling first and then rebooking.

If all of the seats you want are available for booking now, and you have enough miles in your account that you could float an extra ticket, you could book the new ticket without cancelling your existing one. Then once you have confirmed your replacement, go ahead and cancel the old one. You would have to pay the $30 phone booking fee again.

If not, just pay the $200.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:59 pm

Thank you all for your response. I'll just change it segment by segment then to avoid risk.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
I've been curious about this as well, so I ran some searches on ITA for your flights and got ~$538 CAD in taxes and fees. (DFW-YVR leg was $220 in YQ! ouch)

Considering your trans-ocean flights are on YQ-free carriers, I don't think the origin-destination fee model applies.
I'm in the process of making changes to my itinerary. Could you kindly tell me how you found out the YQ for DFW-YVR was 220? I want to drop other expensive legs if possible. When I entered my flight (which I have trouble due to the limits on ITA), I couldn't get that number.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I have a question based on a real example.
YYZ-CUN one way for 2 adults and 1 child (less than 12 years). Rev ticket in Tango has all fees and taxes totalling to $270. Aeroplan ticket has taxes and fees total of $292.38. I am SE using my AE account so there should be no 'surcharges'. So how does the AE ticket have $22.38 more in fees/taxes for the exact same flight ?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:14 pm

I just called Aeroplan to try changing some segments on my existing mRTW. I basically encounter resistance as my initial itinerary has 2 layovers on the way from Tokyo to Hong Kong.
I wanted to change [HND-FUK-ICN] to [HND-GMP]
[ICN-HKG OZ] to [ICN-HKG BR]
But he's saying that I can't do that because I have too many segments
He went on to say the original agent did a lot of "override" and was not supposed to do that. Is this a case of HUCA?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by vernonc
I have a question based on a real example.
YYZ-CUN one way for 2 adults and 1 child (less than 12 years). Rev ticket in Tango has all fees and taxes totalling to $270. Aeroplan ticket has taxes and fees total of $292.38. I am SE using my AE account so there should be no 'surcharges'. So how does the AE ticket have $22.38 more in fees/taxes for the exact same flight ?
Navcan $7.50 per person scamcharge is not waived for SE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.