Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by lsquare
In all likelihood, this trip is already done, but I'm trying to learn how to book a mini-rtw at the moment. What do you mean by destination? A layover? I thought there can only be two stopovers in a mini-rtw?
You are allowed to have two stopovers in addition to the destination (also called "point of turnaround").

So essentially you can have three stopovers (= layovers > 24h), only that the stopover furthest away from your city of origin is called "destination".
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare
What kind of itinerary do you have in mind?
My first thought was taking full advantage of the three stops, and using each as a hub for further exploration. Fly to SIN, then Air Asia around for a bit, then fly to somewhere in Europe, train around for a bit, then maybe hit northern Africa, then home.

Though I have enough miles in other programs that it might be nice to try some new airlines.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by canadiancow
My first thought was taking full advantage of the three stops, and using each as a hub for further exploration. Fly to SIN, then Air Asia around for a bit, then fly to somewhere in Europe, train around for a bit, then maybe hit northern Africa, then home.

Though I have enough miles in other programs that it might be nice to try some new airlines.
That's kind of what I had in mind. Maybe YVR-ZUR-SIN-NRT-YVR. Is this possible? So 3 stopovers and maybe add a bunch of layovers in between. Then use my time in those stopover places to do some exploring either by train or plane.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: hahaha
Further to this thread:

No biz seats from Vancouver to any east hub Dec 14-Dec 22

I was thinking of booking a massive trip from mid-Dec 2019 to early Feb-2020 (a month at the turnaround/destination point). As I understand it, the earliest I can start booking would be Feb-March 2019 because of 11 month seating availability opens up (one segment in NH, is that 11 months applicable?)

But given that Christmas-ish seats are said to be snapped up super early, does anyone think I should revise my plans? Either fly Christmas Day or later (is that still peak season?) or is it possible to call into Aeroplan in Dec 2018 to book a one way flight for Dec 2019, then CHANGE the flight to add a return sgment in Feb 2019 with desired routing?

EDIT: if it helps my case, I'm planning the entire trip in economy, class 'X' on AC

Thanks

Last edited by asovse1; Jul 10, 2018 at 10:56 am
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Yes, you can book one way and change it to a round-trip later.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:56 am

delete

Last edited by metoo; Jul 14, 2018 at 5:54 pm
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: Bonvoy-lifeime Titanium,Amex Plat
Is this a valid routing or do I need to add a segment via the atlantic!!

Have been away for a long time and not clear on the latest rules. Is this a valid routing or if not, what would be valid which includes the desired stop overs with minimum YQ!! Thanks in advance:
yow-yvr-icn-del-pnq (destination)-del(stop 1)-icn-lax-las (stop 2)-yow
it is for Feb 2019 in biz and these segments show availability on ANA tool.
Appreciate your help....
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:44 pm

YYC to Japan / Bangkok - first mini-RTW Q's

I am finally in a position to try my first mini-RTW w/ Aeroplan. I have done some preliminary research and wanted to test my assumptions/understandings to see if I am on track. Looking to book soonish.

Goal(s): See Japan with my 20 something YO daughter to see new places together. Fly business/first on different airlines (i..e LH, SQ, TG, HN) and planes (i.e. A380, 747, 777), within ~14 days.

Proposed:
YYC-LAX (AC) - J - A319 - 2h 45m layover
LAX-NRT (NH) - F - 777-300 - STOP (7-8 days)

NRT-BKK (TG) - F - A380 - DESTINATION (~2 days)
OR use open Jaw. Allows me hit Tokyo, then Osaka and not have to back track
KIX-BKK (TG) - F - A380 - DESTINATION (~2 days)

BKK-FRA (TG) - J - 777-300 - Direct flight, no F option
OR
BKK-ICN (OZ) - J - 777-A330 - 4h 30m layover
ICN-FRA (OZ) - F - A380 - Advantage is F from ICN-FRA vs. J direct from BKK-FRA

FRA-JFK (SQ) - Y - A380 - book Y and hope for min J upgrade T-15
OR
FRA-JFK (LH) - Y - A380 - book Y and hope for min J upgrade T-15

EWR-YYC (AC) - J - A319

Question 1: I don't think I am fully applying the MPM correctly.
  • I used GCMap to calc MPM from YYC to determine BKK is the farthest and therefore consider the destination / turn around point.
  • Return MPM YYC-BKK = 15,009 mi. I understand this to be my max MPM + 10%.
  • YYC-LAX-TYO-BKK-FRA-JFK-ERW-YYC = 21,036 mi
  • Should I just be calculating direct distances for each leg where I am stopping or is my destination?
  • for example; YYC-TYO, TYO-BKK-BKK-YYC
Question 2: Since I mainly want to stop in Japan and Bangkok, is there other routing I should consider? For example, I don't need to go to FRA, but seemed like best bet for F to North American on LH or SQ.

Question 3: I understand that If I book Y for FRA-JFK I can upgrade to J/F and pay the $100 change fee + tax. With the collective knowledge of the forum, is T-15 to search for J/F upgrades to secure a LH / SQ upgrade (prefer First) the best approach?
  • I would really like to try LH F or SQ F (2nd choice from blogs I have read).
  • For leg into North American, I am open to fly into YUL, YYZ, JFK/EWR, IAH, DFW (direct flights to YYC)
  • ORD, BOS, IAD are doable but add a connecting flight to YYC
Question 4: Understand J = 155K pp and F = 210K pp + fees + taxes. Is this correct? Also, is there anything in my routing that would add on large scam fees and if so are there alternatives that would allow me to still me my goals?

TIA for any guidance. Excited to try to learn and apply what I have been reading on FT, reddit and blogs.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Retired FF
Have been away for a long time and not clear on the latest rules. Is this a valid routing or if not, what would be valid which includes the desired stop overs with minimum YQ!! Thanks in advance:
yow-yvr-icn-del-pnq (destination)-del(stop 1)-icn-lax-las (stop 2)-yow
it is for Feb 2019 in biz and these segments show availability on ANA tool.
Appreciate your help....
MPM for YYZ-PNQ is 12945.
Outbound: YOW-YVR-ICN-DEL-PNQ = 10934, so your outbound is OK
Inbound: PNQ-DEL-ICN-LAX-LAS-YOW = 11998 miles, so the inbound is OK.

Overall, looks good. Note that availability on ANA doesn't always means availability on Aeroplan. Also note that you want minimum YQ, but you've selected YVR-ICN which would be on AC and therefore is till incur YQ.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by ratnrol
Question 1: I don't think I am fully applying the MPM correctly.
BKK is your destination, as you correctly noted. However MPM for YYC-BKK is 12,415 miles. There is no 10% buffer, and this applies to your inbound and outbound routing seperately. So, if your routing is YYC-LAX-TYO-BKK-FRA-JFK/EWR-YYC.

Your outbound is: YYC-LAX-TYO-BKK, and you cannot exceed 12415 miles.
Your inbound is: BKK-FRA-JFK/EWR-YYC and this also cannot exceed 12415 miles

Question 2: Since I mainly want to stop in Japan and Bangkok, is there other routing I should consider? For example, I don't need to go to FRA, but seemed like best bet for F to North American on LH or SQ.
Keep in mind that F awards on SQ are not available to other programs except for certain short haul flights (eg: SIN-CGK) and J awards are limited to mainly intra Asia and to Australia.

3: I understand that If I book Y for FRA-JFK I can upgrade to J/F and pay the $100 change fee + tax. With the collective knowledge of the forum, is T-15 to search for J/F upgrades to secure a LH / SQ upgrade (prefer First) the best approach?
See my response to Question 2 regarding SQ. If you've paid for a J or F award, and a flight wasn't available in the booked fare category, you don't need to pay a change fee to book into J or F should it come available. However, if you pay for a Y award and want to change the whole thing to J or F, then the change fee would apply. LH F awards do come available at T-14 days. LH J is released 'normally'.

4: Understand J = 155K pp and F = 210K pp + fees + taxes. Is this correct? Also, is there anything in my routing that would add on large scam fees and if so are there alternatives that would allow me to still me my goals?
Yes, Canada to Asia 1 is 155K or 210K. LH charges fairly hefty YQ. If you want lower YQ flights and F class, I would stick to TG, OZ or NH.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 2:51 pm

I am finally in a position to try my first mini-RTW w/ Aeroplan. I have done some preliminary research and wanted to test my assumptions/understandings to see if I am on track. Looking to book soonish.

Goal(s): See Japan with my 20 something YO daughter to see new places together. Fly business/first on different airlines (i..e LH, SQ, TG, HN) and planes (i.e. A380, 747, 777), within ~14 days.

Proposed:
YYC-LAX (AC) - J - A319 - 2h 45m layover
LAX-NRT (NH) - F - 777-300 - STOP (7-8 days)

NRT-BKK (TG) - F - A380 - DESTINATION (~2 days)
OR use open Jaw. Allows me hit Tokyo, then Osaka and not have to back track
KIX-BKK (TG) - F - A380 - DESTINATION (~2 days)

BKK-FRA (TG) - J - 777-300 - Direct flight, no F option
OR
BKK-ICN (OZ) - J - 777-A330 - 4h 30m layover
ICN-FRA (OZ) - F - A380 - Advantage is F from ICN-FRA vs. J direct from BKK-FRA

FRA-JFK (SQ) - Y - A380 - book Y and hope for min J upgrade T-15
OR
FRA-JFK (LH) - Y - A380 - book Y and hope for min J upgrade T-15

EWR-YYC (AC) - J - A319
You don't state when you are planning on going on this trip. BKK-FRA has F on TG/LH seasonally.
BKK-MUC also has F on TG.

BKK-ICN-FRA-JFK/EWR-YYC exceeds MPM.

Also, you may or may not be able to do open jaw between NRT-KIX. There have been reports that open jaw needs to be at your destination.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:19 pm

Thanks ChrisA330!

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
BKK is your destination, as you correctly noted. However MPM for YYC-BKK is 12,415 miles. There is no 10% buffer, and this applies to your inbound and outbound routing seperately. So, if your routing is YYC-LAX-TYO-BKK-FRA-JFK/EWR-YYC.

Your outbound is: YYC-LAX-TYO-BKK, and you cannot exceed 12415 miles.
Your inbound is: BKK-FRA-JFK/EWR-YYC and this also cannot exceed 12415 miles
I have gone back and done some more reading and determined I was combining two steps in error. 1.) the furthest stop calc using gcmap with the 2.) actual MPM calculation.

YYC-BKK 7505 miles is not used to determine the one way MPM. Got it.

I used gcmap and got the following results for YYC-LAX-TYO-BKK;
  • YYC-LAX = 1206
  • LAX-TYO = 5482
  • TYO-BKK = 2855
  • Total = 9544
9544 is under 12415 and therefore valid.

Keep in mind that F awards on SQ are not available to other programs except for certain short haul flights (eg: SIN-CGK) and J awards are limited to mainly intra Asia and to Australia.
Darn it, got a little excited that I may be able to try the A380 Singapore Suites with the mRTW.

See my response to Question 2 regarding SQ. If you've paid for a J or F award, and a flight wasn't available in the booked fare category, you don't need to pay a change fee to book into J or F should it come available. However, if you pay for a Y award and want to change the whole thing to J or F, then the change fee would apply. LH F awards do come available at T-14 days. LH J is released 'normally'.
Thank-you, makes sense. I might book LH Y or J for the dates I am thinking. Since I plan to book F award, I can upgrade if I find something in T-14. Perfect.

Yes, Canada to Asia 1 is 155K or 210K. LH charges fairly hefty YQ. If you want lower YQ flights and F class, I would stick to TG, OZ or NH.
Thanks. Trying to use flightconnections to work my way back from BKK to North America on lower YQ flights in F. In the meantime do you have any suggested routes?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
You don't state when you are planning on going on this trip. BKK-FRA has F on TG/LH seasonally.
I am planning to depart YYC end of May 2019. I tried looking up the flight schedule on flightmapper but it only shows until October 2018.

BKK-MUC also has F on TG.
Starting to expand my search for F from MUC to YCC using flightconnections.

BKK-ICN-FRA-JFK/EWR-YYC exceeds MPM.
Looks like 13498 for this option. Guess I need to find another plan B.

Honestly, BKK is not mandatory. It was recommended as a way to do a mRTW on reddit so I have been running with it. Besides, my wife is not interested in BKK so this may be my only chance (lol).

Would still like one more stop for my daughter (22 next year) and I to explore together and to be able to fly F as much as possible. We have been to IST before and I was in ZRH this year on my way to the world cup. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Also, you may or may not be able to do open jaw between NRT-KIX. There have been reports that open jaw needs to be at your destination.
Thanks. We are planning to go as far as Osaka and it looks like we could train back to Tokyo or fly easily. Just thought it would be nice to head west and fly from KIX.

Appreciate the responses!
Old Jul 16, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: Bonvoy-lifeime Titanium,Amex Plat
MPM for YYZ-PNQ is 12945.
Outbound: YOW-YVR-ICN-DEL-PNQ = 10934, so your outbound is OK
Inbound: PNQ-DEL-ICN-LAX-LAS-YOW = 11998 miles, so the inbound is OK.

Overall, looks good. Note that availability on ANA doesn't always means availability on Aeroplan. Also note that you want minimum YQ, but you've selected YVR-ICN which would be on AC and therefore is till incur YQ.
Thanks, Will give Aeroplan a call to confirm availability. I DID say 'minimum YQ" but IF ANA tool is correct, YQ for this for two is approx. $800.00 which is totally acceptable , given that it gives me exactly what I want. Will spend some more time to see if I can find a more direct route to PNQ with another airline with lower YQ. thanks again...
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:15 am

I'm trying to piece together the following trip and was hoping for feedback.
YVR to SFO (layover) on AC biz
SFO to LAS (layover) on UA econ
LAX to NRT (stop) on NH biz
HND to GMP (layover) on NH biz
ICN to TPE (layover) on OZ biz
TPE to BKK (layover) on TG biz
BKK to SIN (turnaround) on SQ biz
SIN to IST (layover) on SQ biz
IST via ZAG to CDG (stop) on TK biz and OU biz
CDG to FRA (layover) on LH biz
FRA to YUL (layover) on LH biz
YUL via YYC to YVR (end) on AC biz and AC econ

MPM from YVR to SIN is 13196 I think.
Getting there over the Pacific doesn't seem to be a problem. Return seems to be pushing it at 13009 via GCmap.com.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.