Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If you booked it in September, it was under the new rules. 2 stopovers ended Sep 1.
Tifosi likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 11:31 am

Programs: TK*G, AC
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Nope, those are your only options. Either you depart this year or you cancel.

The only thing that MIGHT be a compromise is you fly this September:

DEP-STOP1

Then do "stopover" until February 2021 to resume your trip and nest in a separately booked STOP1-DEP round-trip.

That works if you have any time and eagerness for a (shorter) vacation this year and go to a similar area on your first stopover on the RTW. this works because while you have to depart within 1year of booking, you THEN have another extra year to complete travel. Makes sense?

EDIT: An example with made-up dates and cities:

RTW Segment 1: YYZ-ATH, stop (September 2020)
Cash: ATH-YYZ (September 2020)
Cash: YYZ-ZRH (February 2021) - ATH (March 2021)
RTW Segment 2: ATH-MEL (March 2021)
RTW Segment 3: MEL-TYO (April 2021)
RTW Segment 4: TYO-YYZ (June 2021)
That's a fantastic suggestion. Thank you very much. I'll look into what my options would be to nest a second trip into the first stop.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
If you booked it in September, it was under the new rules. 2 stopovers ended Sep 1.
Good catch. It was booked in August. The Aeroplan agent on the phone mentioned that it was ticketed Sept. 23 so I had that date in mind. I'm not sure of the reason for the discrepancy.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 12:02 pm

I have a ticket booked from mid June (10th or so) last year, and due to nCoV we're looking to postpone our trip from March to June. In the past, I've been told travel must complete by date of original ticketing +365 days.

Or do I just need to commence travel by then? Looking at June 3 to 23, which would be beyond the one year mark.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by crimsona
I have a ticket booked from mid June (10th or so) last year, and due to nCoV we're looking to postpone our trip from March to June. In the past, I've been told travel must complete by date of original ticketing +365 days.

Or do I just need to commence travel by then? Looking at June 3 to 23, which would be beyond the one year mark.
Just need to commence.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 5:51 pm

I am trying to book a mini-miniRTW trip for December/January, and need some wise advice from the group.
Looking to do the following in J for 2 people:

YYZ-HND
HND-HNL
HNL-YYZ

Once I get to HNL, I'll book my own shuttles to other islands.

I am able to find J seats for 2 for the YYZ-HND in December, and the HNL-YYZ in January. However, for the HND-HNL, all I am seeing on the AE site is 1 flight with Asiana, HND-ICN in J then ICN-HNL in Y.

Since I am a S100K, should I just go ahead and book this, and keep checking to see if more options open up between HND-HNL, then use my free change to make the switch?
Or wait it out? or try other routings?
Old Feb 2, 2020, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Commie
I am trying to book a mini-miniRTW trip for December/January, and need some wise advice from the group.
Looking to do the following in J for 2 people:

YYZ-HND
HND-HNL
HNL-YYZ

Once I get to HNL, I'll book my own shuttles to other islands.

I am able to find J seats for 2 for the YYZ-HND in December, and the HNL-YYZ in January. However, for the HND-HNL, all I am seeing on the AE site is 1 flight with Asiana, HND-ICN in J then ICN-HNL in Y.

Since I am a S100K, should I just go ahead and book this, and keep checking to see if more options open up between HND-HNL, then use my free change to make the switch?
Or wait it out? or try other routings?
make sure to also check NRT-HNL since that's just considered as if you were flying out of HND and doesn't count as an open-jaw/connection. might be better availability there.
kalderlake and YYZ_tatlflyer like this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I think this has already been mentioned. But it seems that any changes to pre-devaluation 2 stopover trips cause the new system to choke, when it comes to YQ/tax recalc.

And then the change fee credit card entering system crashed too.
I think I was owed a free change after a 4 hour hold anyway
Old Feb 2, 2020, 6:34 pm

So does that mean no YQ and no change fees? Been waiting for a March free change or corona virus travel waiver for Hong Kong/south South African Airways bankruptcy
Old Feb 2, 2020, 6:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Star Alliance - Gold, Bonvoy-Titanium, Hilton-Gold, Avis-President's Club
Multicity >2 stops

Anyone had luck with agents approving more than 2 stops at multicity trip these days or post amadeus?

i heard the new ac program will return the multiple stops like before.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crimsona
So does that mean no YQ and no change fees? Been waiting for a March free change or corona virus travel waiver for Hong Kong/south South African Airways bankruptcy
I changed LX to LO, so there would have been YQ due. The agent tried with her help desk to recalculate, but they failed, and just pushed it through ....
The change fee was attempted to be collected, but she'd get a "techincal error" everytime I'd enter my card.... so .. that was that.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I changed LX to LO, so there would have been YQ due. The agent tried with her help desk to recalculate, but they failed, and just pushed it through ....
The change fee was attempted to be collected, but she'd get a "techincal error" everytime I'd enter my card.... so .. that was that.
When this happened to me (YQ recalc failed) the agent said it'll all be alright and then it didn't ticket a couple days later. Had to call in again and then a SECOND agent said it was because YQ wasn't correctly re-calculated so I had to pay first - despite what the first agent said.

-shrugs-
Old Feb 2, 2020, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smiley90
When this happened to me (YQ recalc failed) the agent said it'll all be alright and then it didn't ticket a couple days later. Had to call in again and then a SECOND agent said it was because YQ wasn't correctly re-calculated so I had to pay first - despite what the first agent said.

-shrugs-
Of course! This being Aeroplan, I double check all the tickets issued after. Luckily this one is all re-issued, HK, until the next 5 minute schedule change when its broken again
Old Feb 2, 2020, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by Flyingbunny88
Anyone had luck with agents approving more than 2 stops at multicity trip these days or post amadeus?

i heard the new ac program will return the multiple stops like before.
I know someone who recently got two stopovers plus a destination on a purely North American trip.

So the system clearly doesn't care.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 2:47 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Star Alliance - Gold, Bonvoy-Titanium, Hilton-Gold, Avis-President's Club
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I know someone who recently got two stopovers plus a destination on a purely North American trip.

So the system clearly doesn't care.
How did he / she approach the agent? Do i have more luck just saying that i would like to put together an itinerary such as this and this and this (with 2 stops and destination)?

Or, is it better to save the time to realize if the agent can make it work or otherwise, by saying, I need to put together 2 stops and a destination trip? This way, i can always HUCA when the agent answers with a straight-no.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Flyingbunny88
How did he / she approach the agent? Do i have more luck just saying that i would like to put together an itinerary such as this and this and this (with 2 stops and destination)?

Or, is it better to save the time to realize if the agent can make it work or otherwise, by saying, I need to put together 2 stops and a destination trip? This way, i can always HUCA when the agent answers with a straight-no.
This person basically had a lucky accident. (S)he wasn't asking for it (because it's never been permitted), but after describing a high level goal, the agent added the second stopover because the system said it was fine.

I might be able to replicate it, but if it works the way I think, it's a very narrow set of circumstances that the system trips over, and is unlikely to be useful in a mini rtw.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.