Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by flyer05
HKG/SZX no, ITM/KIX yes I believe.
This is correct. Also NRT/HND are co terminals (but not on the website ... so open jaws don’t work, facepalm). DME/SVO/VKO are also not, except they’re supposed to be, so need to escalate to a supervisor.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:09 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Can anyone tell me if HKG & SZX are interchangeable? Also ITM & KIX?

I feel like sometimes it's just a YMMV situation, because I swear I was told EWR was not "same city" (or whatever it's called) as LGA/JFK but then I think I've seen other people post to the contrary. I'm gonna guess that HKG/SZX are not, but does anyone actually know? ITM & KIX I would hope are, but it's much less important to me.
If you search on EF or even ITA Matrix by using the city's code, it brings up options to all of that city's co-terminals. For example, do a flight availability search between YTO and NYC, you will see direct flights between YYZ and LGA/EWR/JFK as well as YTZ-EWR, so you know YTZ and YYZ are co-terminals for Toronto and LGA/EWR/JFK are co-terminals for New York City.

Some other common co-terminal pairs:
TYO (Tokyo) - NRT/HND
OSA (Osaka) - ITM/KIX
TPE (Taipei) - TPE/TSA
SEL (Seoul) - ICN/GMP
SHA (Shanghai) - PVG/SHA
MOW (Moscow) - SVO/DME/VKO
IST (Istanbul) - IST/SAW
BER (Berlin) - TXL/SXF
PAR (Paris) - CDG/ORY
LON (London) - LHR/LGW/LCY

During IRROPS, a segment to one of the cities with co-terminals can be rebooked to the alternate terminal. For example, if your YYZ-EWR AC flight is cancelled, you can request to be rebooked on YYZ-LGA.

For the purpose of building RTWs, a common strategy for intra-Asia segments are the use of TPE/TSA-NRT/HND, ITM/KIX-NRT/HND, or ICN/GMP-NRT/HND where you fly into one and leave from the other. I do not know if they come in handy for the purpose of staying within the MPM though as I never got that close to the edge (my record is 12 miles out of a 13K MPM, but I wouldn't consider it close unless it's within 0.05%).

Last edited by YYT82; Sep 3, 2018 at 8:57 pm
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by crimsona
Hong Kong and Shenzhen have completely different visa requirements.
Fair enough, but if it were based solely on distance, I could see why it would be fine. Problem is, and maybe it's just me, but I wasn't aware that this is what the co-terminal thing was based on.

Originally Posted by YYT82

If you search on EF or even ITA Matrix by using the city's code, it brings up options to all of that city's co-terminals. For example, do a flight availability search between YTO and NYC, you will see direct flights between YYZ and LGA/EWR/JFK as well as YTZ-EWR, so you know YTZ and YYZ are co-terminals for Toronto and LGA/EWR/JFK are co-terminals for New York City.
Brilliant, thanks bud. I have EF but didn't know this was available in there. I've gotten really close to max mpm before as well, I think I was down to about 20 miles left over, but of course there's no surefire way to find that out as AP doesn't actually publish their MPM. I also did one where I was pretty sure I'd be over, but I gave it a shot and it got approved anyhow, so if I ever THINK I'm close, I'll call to try.

I'm trying to build another RTW and I think I'm just trying to squeeze too many goals in is all. I wanna fly Shenzhen to cross it off my list and I don't really have any other way to ever get ZH done. But I wanted to fly a 380 as well, so I wanted to try for KIX-BKK, but that busted the MPM, so I was trying to do maybe KIX-SZX then HKG-BKK or SIN. I'll probably have to just drop the A380 part of the plan. I probably have a better chance of getting another 380 at some point.

Great explanation though, certainly means I won't have to think about it again cuz it'll be easy to find. Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Fair enough, but if it were based solely on distance, I could see why it would be fine. Problem is, and maybe it's just me, but I wasn't aware that this is what the co-terminal thing was based on.

Brilliant, thanks bud. I have EF but didn't know this was available in there. I've gotten really close to max mpm before as well, I think I was down to about 20 miles left over, but of course there's no surefire way to find that out as AP doesn't actually publish their MPM. I also did one where I was pretty sure I'd be over, but I gave it a shot and it got approved anyhow, so if I ever THINK I'm close, I'll call to try.

I'm trying to build another RTW and I think I'm just trying to squeeze too many goals in is all. I wanna fly Shenzhen to cross it off my list and I don't really have any other way to ever get ZH done. But I wanted to fly a 380 as well, so I wanted to try for KIX-BKK, but that busted the MPM, so I was trying to do maybe KIX-SZX then HKG-BKK or SIN. I'll probably have to just drop the A380 part of the plan. I probably have a better chance of getting another 380 at some point.

Great explanation though, certainly means I won't have to think about it again cuz it'll be easy to find. Thanks!
Just a correction: Aeroplan MPM _is_ published - sorta - see the separate thread on this. Also, in that thread are instructions on how to find it in the JSON sent back by the website (which works often times, though not all the time). The bigger problem if you're trying to cut it to +/- 20 is whether GCMap counts the same as AC (and it doesn't, so you might be in for a disappointment).
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Just a correction: Aeroplan MPM _is_ published - sorta - see the separate thread on this. Also, in that thread are instructions on how to find it in the JSON sent back by the website (which works often times, though not all the time). The bigger problem if you're trying to cut it to +/- 20 is whether GCMap counts the same as AC (and it doesn't, so you might be in for a disappointment).
When I said published I meant like in an official capacity. There's no ERROR - EXCEEDS MAX MPM. There's no Aeroplan table of city pairs on their website.

I'm well aware of the call up and ask method, though I've had some strange responses. A couple times I've been asked leading questions as if they thought I was doing something nefarious, or if they were giving up trade secrets.

I was THRILLED when I found that javascript alert method posted here, I use it all the time, I've literally got repeated notes in this little book I keep for flight notes about max MPMs to put trips together.

The reason I want an official published list, is to get right down to the last couple miles, I know they change, because I called once and was given whatever, 16000 lets just say, then I called back 6 months later and was told like 16015. I of course then use GCMAP to put things together, but ultimately the call and test the routing is the only way you can know for sure. I've had a couple of those agents say "oh I think you're going the wrong way, why not fly through _____ (LHR FRA VIE MUC etc)?" and I have to nicely nudge them to my choices and sure enough usually it's like "oh wow, ok, it worked". I love hearing the agent after the booking is done saying like "wow you really maximized those miles" then you go to check in for the flight and your 4-5 <24 hour connections and they have NO IDEA what to do lol...gotta stick with carryon for those situations for sure.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: AC SE
think someone can tell me what the mpm is for dub-yyc? trying to go dub-zrh-bos-yyz-yyc. Cant currently book as LX is blocked still.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by 300rwhp
think someone can tell me what the mpm is for dub-yyc? trying to go dub-zrh-bos-yyz-yyc. Cant currently book as LX is blocked still.
7002 if I've done this right, I only question my ability because not departing from my home was throwing my brain for a loop cuz I always use the same dummy city pairs to test. There is a thread for that stuff though if you look a couple posts up and THAT thread has the instructions in it on how to find out without having to call.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:39 pm

I'm going to be booking my first mini RTW next month and was wondering if it's going to cause an issue having to book two tickets on two different Aeroplan accounts. Can I book both tickets at once or am I going to have to book mine then have my girlfriend call back and book hers?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by greg898
I'm going to be booking my first mini RTW next month and was wondering if it's going to cause an issue having to book two tickets on two different Aeroplan accounts. Can I book both tickets at once or am I going to have to book mine then have my girlfriend call back and book hers?
No issue at all for you to do both. Start by telling the agent you're booking for 2, but from seperate accounts, and then have your girlfriend present, so she can give authorization for you to do the booking.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: Air Canada-Aeroplan, NEXUS, E50K, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Hey everyone, I've previously booked a few mini RTWs but trying to do a European version. I'm having difficulty with flight availability. I can find flights via ORD but I have to go YWG-YYZ-ORD-Europe. Will I have problems booking this? I don't see why not if it fits within the MPMs.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by canadianhockey91
Hey everyone, I've previously booked a few mini RTWs but trying to do a European version. I'm having difficulty with flight availability. I can find flights via ORD but I have to go YWG-YYZ-ORD-Europe. Will I have problems booking this? I don't see why not if it fits within the MPMs.
Aren't there YWG-ORD flights with UA? Maybe you can find availability on those.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:12 pm

Don't see why not either.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: Air Canada-Aeroplan, NEXUS, E50K, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Originally Posted by YYT82

Aren't there YWG-ORD flights with UA? Maybe you can find availability on those.
none available on the dates I'm looking at. i wish!
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:30 pm

Go for it, I have YYC-YYZ-ATL-----Europe ---- , and it was fine.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
YVR-YUL-ORD-Europe was ok. You will not have problems, as long as the whole thing is within MPM
If YYZ-ORD is on UA/AC, you can visit the Polaris lounge before making your way to T5 (airside!) for your longhaul (if it departs from there)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.