Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: aeroplan, starwood, fairmont
arrive yvr 1030 dep 0230
arr pek 0430 dep 0010 [approx]4
it would be great if they were checked through.
I worry that they will either end up on a flight ahead of us and disappear somewhere or if they hold them back to get them on our flight they never make it on - hopefully being paranoid. It would be hard to be reconnnected with them if they are lost at start of trip and we are always on the move
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:17 am

Trying to plan a mini-rtw and have a question regarding South African Airways and taking their old A340-300s in business. I am going to HKG to JNB and have a choice between a direct flight on SAA (13 hours) but will be on an old A340-300s. The other choice would be on Air China would a stopover in Beijing which is not as ideal as the stopover is 4h35m making the whole flight duration 22h but(?) it's on a Boeing 777.

Anyone have any advice or personal experience on SAA A340-300s? I've read some reviews and youtube videos and some are alright with it but some really dislike it. I don't expect it to be Singapore business class level or anything but I would like to sleep on the 14 hour flight.

Tried to post on the SAA forum but it's not very active there... any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: Also, another question. I will be heading to Taipei (JNB to TPE) afterwards, and plan to have a 13h stopover in HKG just to extend our stay to visit relatives a bit. Does anyone know if you have to take your luggage out or will SAA transfer it to EVA automatically? Sorry if this has been asked before.

Last edited by kw0921; Aug 20, 2018 at 10:23 am Reason: additional questions
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by kw0921
Trying to plan a mini-rtw and have a question regarding South African Airways and taking their old A340-300s in business. I am going to HKG to JNB and have a choice between a direct flight on SAA (13 hours) but will be on an old A340-300s. The other choice would be on Air China would a stopover in Beijing which is not as ideal as the stopover is 4h35m making the whole flight duration 22h but(?) it's on a Boeing 777.

Anyone have any advice or personal experience on SAA A340-300s? I've read some reviews and youtube videos and some are alright with it but some really dislike it. I don't expect it to be Singapore business class level or anything but I would like to sleep on the 14 hour flight.

Tried to post on the SAA forum but it's not very active there... any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: Also, another question. I will be heading to Taipei (JNB to TPE) afterwards, and plan to have a 13h stopover in HKG just to extend our stay to visit relatives a bit. Does anyone know if you have to take your luggage out or will SAA transfer it to EVA automatically? Sorry if this has been asked before.
I would take the direct on SAA. I have flown them quite a bit and had new 350s and beat up old 330s and 340s. Service is always pretty good and so is food and bev. Seats may be worn but my recollection is in flight entertainment works okay with decent but not great selection. I have also flown a 777 on Air China and it exceeded my expectations, but I think it was on its initial flight from PEK to CDG.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by allbrosca
I would take the direct on SAA. I have flown them quite a bit and had new 350s and beat up old 330s and 340s. Service is always pretty good and so is food and bev. Seats may be worn but my recollection is in flight entertainment works okay with decent but not great selection. I have also flown a 777 on Air China and it exceeded my expectations, but I think it was on its initial flight from PEK to CDG.
Great! Thanks for the advice. I looked at the reviews on their in flight entertainment. Sounds like the TV screen is from the 90s and extremely pixelated. I guess I'll make sure I have my laptop on board.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Feels like I should know the answer to this, but I don't. Has anyone tried splitting a RT into two oneways, and refunding half? I am thinking of NRT-DBV, SPU-HND, but I may need to cancel either the outbound or the return and keep the other piece. Would Aeroplan do it?

(reason I'd prefer to book as a RT initially is because if it's a "ticket from Japan", Japanese YQ rules apply, so it ends up being like $150 cheaper...)
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Feels like I should know the answer to this, but I don't. Has anyone tried splitting a RT into two oneways, and refunding half? I am thinking of NRT-DBV, SPU-HND, but I may need to cancel either the outbound or the return and keep the other piece. Would Aeroplan do it?

(reason I'd prefer to book as a RT initially is because if it's a "ticket from Japan", Japanese YQ rules apply, so it ends up being like $150 cheaper...)
Depends very much on when you may need to (or decide to) cancel the return. If it's at least 22 days before travel, you can get a refund on the miles (after a fee). If it's less than 22 days, you can't refund the miles, but you can change the ticket.

Overall, it seems like a painful process just to avoid $150.

The Aeroplan rules are here: https://www.aeroplan.com/helpcenter/...-flight-reward

What is the difference between cancelling and getting a refund?

Cancelling:
Up to two hours before departure, you can cancel your itinerary and your unused reward tickets will remain valid for travel for one year from the date of their original issue. If you have already flown a portion of your flight reward, the portion of the flight that you haven't flown will remain valid for travel for one year from the date of the first flown flight. There is no fee to cancel a flight reward, but a non-refundable change fee will apply when you rebook your flight. Flight rewards that are not cancelled or changed two hours prior to the scheduled departure time will be forfeited and considered no longer valid for travel.

Getting a refund:
When you cancel your booking a minimum of 22 days prior to departure, the miles from unused flight rewards will be refunded to your account. A non-refundable refund fee applies.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by canopus27
Depends very much on when you may need to (or decide to) cancel the return. If it's at least 22 days before travel, you can get a refund on the miles (after a fee). If it's less than 22 days, you can't refund the miles, but you can change the ticket.

Overall, it seems like a painful process just to avoid $150.

The Aeroplan rules are here: https://www.aeroplan.com/helpcenter/...-flight-reward
Right, the standard cxl process is fine, but I'm wondering if you cancel "half" of a ticket, whether they'd refund you "half" of the miles. So in this case, 150K RT ticket becomes a 75K oneway - would they refund the oneway piece and the miles, or am I best off not risking it? The rules aren't clear on that.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Right, the standard cxl process is fine, but I'm wondering if you cancel "half" of a ticket, whether they'd refund you "half" of the miles. So in this case, 150K RT ticket becomes a 75K oneway - would they refund the oneway piece and the miles, or am I best off not risking it? The rules aren't clear on that.
It seems pretty clear to me.

If you have not flown any portion, and you are more than 22 days before travel, then you can cancel and get a complete refund. If you're within 22 days of departure, which of course includes if you have already flown a portion of your flight reward, then you can't cancel and you won't get any miles back at all - your only option is to change the dates; the portion of the flight that you haven't flown will remain valid for travel for one year from the date of the first flown flight.

Unless you're saying that you don't want to cancel at all, you just want half a refund, more than 22 days in advance? (note the answer I quoted above explaining how Aeroplan distinguishes between the word cancel and the word refund).

If that's your question then you'd probably need to check with Aeroplan - but if you're doing all of this just to avoid $150 in fees, then your question also needs to encompass how much of the taxes & fees you get back. There's certainly a risk that they will apply the one way YQ fee, and of course there's now a refund fee ($100 if you have status, $150 if not) ... so I think it's almost a certainty that you'll send up paying more via this route.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade
Trying to plan a RTW for my parents, I am new to the RTW,

YYZ->PEK (Stop)
PEK->SIN (Destination)
SIN->city 1 in Japan i.e. osaka (Stop)
city 2 in Japan i.e. tokyo -> YYZ

Would something like this work, it seems quite straightforward compared to some other posts here, with a small open jaw in Japan
Could the YYZ->PEK side be designed for something in Europe isntead?

Thanks
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by canopus27
It seems pretty clear to me.

If you have not flown any portion, and you are more than 22 days before travel, then you can cancel and get a complete refund. If you're within 22 days of departure, which of course includes if you have already flown a portion of your flight reward, then you can't cancel and you won't get any miles back at all - your only option is to change the dates; the portion of the flight that you haven't flown will remain valid for travel for one year from the date of the first flown flight.

Unless you're saying that you don't want to cancel at all, you just want half a refund, more than 22 days in advance? (note the answer I quoted above explaining how Aeroplan distinguishes between the word cancel and the word refund).

If that's your question then you'd probably need to check with Aeroplan - but if you're doing all of this just to avoid $150 in fees, then your question also needs to encompass how much of the taxes & fees you get back. There's certainly a risk that they will apply the one way YQ fee, and of course there's now a refund fee ($100 if you have status, $150 if not) ... so I think it's almost a certainty that you'll send up paying more via this route.
Right, I _am_ looking for half the refund - assuming no part of the ticket flown, and cancelling over 22 days prior. You might be right about the taxes, though; and they might whine and complain and say they have to cancel and rebook, which 100% guarantees I would not get the original seats back, so that’s a non-starter.

Originally Posted by cennis
Trying to plan a RTW for my parents, I am new to the RTW,

YYZ->PEK (Stop)
PEK->SIN (Destination)
SIN->city 1 in Japan i.e. osaka (Stop)
city 2 in Japan i.e. tokyo -> YYZ

Would something like this work, it seems quite straightforward compared to some other posts here, with a small open jaw in Japan
Could the YYZ->PEK side be designed for something in Europe isntead?

Thanks
You can’t open jaw mid itinerary, so you’d have to fly Osaka - Tokyo. If you’ve already used up your stops, though, I recommend going to a major city - say Tokyo - and use BA Avios to fly around Japan. It’s easy, Haneda is quite accessible from the city proper, and you could even do something like this: SIN-HND, spend time in Tokyo, HND-ITM with Avios, spend time in Osaka, then ITM-HND/NRT, connect to your HND-YYZ or NRT-whatever on your last day so you immediately continue onwards back home - you don’t need to exit the airport. Japanese airlines will always interline bags so you wouldn’t even need to pick them up.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:38 am

Thanks for the quick reply, I searched up each side of the trip on aeroplan and seems like it is relatively easy to find direct flights / availability. I vaguely recall reading about being able to do an open jaw during your stopover? And the distance between the two open jaw would still count towards your MPM, unless what I was reading was outdated information?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by cennis
Thanks for the quick reply, I searched up each side of the trip on aeroplan and seems like it is relatively easy to find direct flights / availability. I vaguely recall reading about being able to do an open jaw during your stopover? And the distance between the two open jaw would still count towards your MPM, unless what I was reading was outdated information?
Nope. Unfortunately, can only open jaw at origin or destination - not along the way, unless you have one of the oddball itineraries where destination isn’t equal to furthest point and then you can do some voodoo. Your case is rather simple, and they will certainly not allow it, unfortunately.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Right, I _am_ looking for half the refund - assuming no part of the ticket flown, and cancelling over 22 days prior.
They will not allow this. If you change, then any ticket changes resulting in lower # of miles will not result in any refund to the member. If you cancel they will warn you (correctly so) that the inventory will not reopen immedely and it is unlikely it will reopen at all.

Also as another datapoint: SAA has comfortable seats on their A330s, worn out A340 seats and I would go our of my wsy and add a stop to fly any other carrier. My last 2 longhaul widebody flights on SAA smelled horrible. Overwhelming pungent stale urine stench from the front lavs that made it all the way past the front galley and to about midcabin. Think monkey cage at an indoor zoo level... Not possible to be this bad from 1 or 2 missed cleanigs, far more than a few. Other passengers noticed as well, and as we were in their JNB headquaters/hub I tried to insist they have a cleaning crew address it before the doors were to close in an hour. Crew agreed about the smell but cleaners did nothing.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:26 am

Thanks - how long ahead do you guys think I need to book for the june-july 2019 period?
I know as early as possible is the right answer, but I need some time to gather the miles required and also work out the dates that they are available to travel.

Some context - these feel like decently popular routes with big planes, but I don't have a good idea of availability/reward space in general
YYZ->PEK (Stop)
PEK->SIN (Destination)
SIN->NRT/HND (stop)
NRT/HND-> YYZ

Last edited by cennis; Aug 21, 2018 at 9:53 am
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:46 am

I am looking at YYZ-x-SIN-CDG-YYZ, , I am noticing the only direct flight between SIN-CDG is SQ, however, there seems to be no business class award on even the latest released days?

Is the only option transfer through IST for business class?

I am noticing roughly 770 CAD in YQ just for SIN-CDG-YYZ in business, while 491CAD if I chose SQ economy for the SIN-CDG leg (same business class flights on other legs).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.