Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by tangel
If LH F opens up while I'm on layover, would Aeroplan be able to do an award change? Does it need to be more than two hours before my next flight?
Depends how soon this is --- Since you need to call in to make the change it would need to be when the AE Vancouver/Montreal offices are open since AE is closing the other ones.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Hi all,

After my 1st mini-rtw this year I am looking at a second one for 2017.
I am looking at the following but not sure that fits all the criteria
YYZ-IST - 24hr layover
IST-JNB - stop
JNB-PER - open jaw
BNE-SIN - 24hr layover
SIN-PEK - stop
PEK-NRT - 24hr layover
NRT-YYZ

I know that if I don't do the open jaw in Australia and leave from PER to SIN, the routing works as I am able to book online.
Would BNE be out of the MMP? What about SYD instead?
Same thing for adding NRT in between PEK and YYZ.

Thank you
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by djskynet
Hi all,

After my 1st mini-rtw this year I am looking at a second one for 2017.
I am looking at the following but not sure that fits all the criteria
YYZ-IST - 24hr layover
IST-JNB - stop
JNB-PER - open jaw
BNE-SIN - 24hr layover
SIN-PEK - stop
PEK-NRT - 24hr layover
NRT-YYZ

I know that if I don't do the open jaw in Australia and leave from PER to SIN, the routing works as I am able to book online.
Would BNE be out of the MMP? What about SYD instead?
Same thing for adding NRT in between PEK and YYZ.

Thank you
Adding SYD or BNE adds 2,000 miles, so maybe a bit of a tall order.

PEK-NRT-YYZ adds 1,200 over PEK-YYZ.

You might find this useful:
http://www.airmilescalculator.com/

The only way any of us will be able to tell you whether this is bookable is if someone's done this exact routing recently, otherwise you'll have to call in.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
I thought you cannot have 2 stops (JNB, PEK) and OJ (PER, BNE/SYD) city pair that includes your destination?

The way I've interpreted the OJ rules has always been that it effectively treats the OJ cities as 2 of your allowed stops, which means you are allowed only 1 more stop. so either OJ + destination city, if your OJ is en route, or stop + OJ if your OJ cities includes your destination.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
Last trip I booked had 2 stops and one open jaw and I had no issue at all. I have done
YYZ-ORD-NRT OJ
KIX-PVG stop
PVG-ICN stop
ICN-JFK-YYZ
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:59 pm

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
Originally Posted by djskynet
Last trip I booked had 2 stops and one open jaw and I had no issue at all. I have done
YYZ-ORD-NRT OJ
KIX-PVG stop
PVG-ICN stop
ICN-JFK-YYZ
Longer than 24 hours on the PEK or SEL stops?
Lucky you; that shouldn't be allowed.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 5:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Cerenity
I thought you cannot have 2 stops (JNB, PEK) and OJ (PER, BNE/SYD) city pair that includes your destination?

The way I've interpreted the OJ rules has always been that it effectively treats the OJ cities as 2 of your allowed stops, which means you are allowed only 1 more stop. so either OJ + destination city, if your OJ is en route, or stop + OJ if your OJ cities includes your destination.
My experience is the same. In Feb flew 2 stops + destination
YYZ-IST-SIN (stop)
SIN-MEL (destination)
MEL-PEK-CDG (stop)
CDG-YYZ

I had tried to make an OJ at destination and fly from SYD rather than MEL on the segments to CDG -- no go -- more than one AE agent said if I wanted the OJ then I couldn't do another stop on way home. So I bought a ticket from SYD-MEL so I could have the stop in Paris.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
I'm not sure where AC stands on this anymore. When I was booking my most recent trip I told the agent I was going to book some separate flights and do an open jaw and she said, no, let me try to book it. Ended up with this:

YYZ-GRU-JNB-VFA (STOP)
VFA-JNB-CPT (OPEN JAW)
HDS-JNB (STOP - for 49 hours -originally it was going to be 22 hours or I would buy HDS-JNB)
JNB-ADD-YYZ

I am not sure if I was wrong on the rules or she was being very helpful, but I did not think I could add the HDS-JNB in unless I made it a 24 hour stopover. I also booked a separate flight PLZ-JNB-HDS and rented a car to drive CPT-PLZ to see the Garden Route.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 6:44 am

Programs: AC*SE, HHonors*Gold
First RTW

Still trying to book my first RTW, should finally happen in a few weeks (several years of waiting for some relatives to join me, this summer it's finally happening).

Is it possible to still be within MPM and cover Africa and Asia? I've checked on AE website (multi-city booking) and it says that routes don't qualify, but I've also checked MPM5 with KVS and GCMAP for route and things seem to work out, so I'm not sure.

Looking to accomplish:

YYZ-CPT via Europe
CPT-Asia via JNB/Europe
Asia-YYZ via NRT, YVR

Can't find a booked itinerary in the other thread that was able to accomplish, and so I'm guessing that it's invalid but it's within MPM and there are published routes for all - but I think there have been changes to MPM limits. What am I doing wrong?
Old Jul 9, 2016, 9:09 am

Aeroplan sets their own mpm now, nothing to do with iata ones. Single Aeroplan mpm value regardless of which ocean you cross.

South Africa and Asia should be possible from YVR because it's further than Toronto is from jnb
Old Jul 13, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: Alaska Air / Aeroplan / American Air / Marriott
Layover Question

Newbie Question:

I am trying to book the MiniRTW

1. How do I book the layover for 24 hrs? All the flights I search for are a max of 10-12 hrs layover?

2. Can I have more than 1 24hrs layovers on a flight?
eg: BOS - ZRH(24hrs) - IST(24hrs) - DEL

Regards
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by labqi
Newbie Question:

1. How do I book the layover for 24 hrs? All the flights I search for are a max of 10-12 hrs layover?

Regards
24 hours is the maximum allowable layover, and assumes that you arrive on a flight that lands at 1700 and depart on a flight that leaves at 1655 the next day.

...but in many cases your only option will be a shorter layover - say, on KUL-IST-YUL - because you're limited by the flights that are available: the flight arrives in IST at 0515 and the next flight departs to YUL at 1400.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
Originally Posted by labqi
Newbie Question:

Regards
1. Search segment by segment for both your arriving and departing flights to maximize your layover (while keeping it under 24 h). There's no magic formula I'm afraid. Given the limitations of AE, you'll likely have to phone it in (and pay the fee) once you've found a routing that works.

2. Definitely
Old Jul 17, 2016, 7:30 am

Programs: AC*SE100K , HH DIAMOND, MARRIOTT PLATINUM
Looking at possibly changing our Maldives RTW from routing through IST anyone know if I can do the following on the return or would I be over MPM

MLE-SIN-BKK-MUC/FRA-YUL

I'm currently flying YUL-ORD-NRT-SIN-MLE which I currently don't foresee changing - but possibly looking to bump from Business to first class as well for as much as I can experience.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 7:45 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Klove007
Looking at possibly changing our Maldives RTW from routing through IST anyone know if I can do the following on the return or would I be over MPM

MLE-SIN-BKK-MUC/FRA-YUL

I'm currently flying YUL-ORD-NRT-SIN-MLE which I currently don't foresee changing - but possibly looking to bump from Business to first class as well for as much as I can experience.
The problem is, if you move to F, you'd basically only get the ORD-NRT segment on NH; there are no other carriers flying anything decent, and onwards from NRT you're also stuck, because NH doesn't fly F, and SQ won't release space, and CA is not worth spending points on (though you could go NRT-HKG-BKK-SIN, which would at least get you a single segment on TG).

As for IST - I wouldn't change it. I think everything that was going to happen already did; MLE-IST-YUL (assuming that's what you have) is a great routing. You will have a hard time finding MLE-SIN in business (I had to settle for Y).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.