Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2015, 8:47 am

As long as DPS is the turnaround, you can hit SIN & BKK on each side (whether you want is another story.) I am not sure of the MPM number to tell if it's a legal itinerary though. I assume it's higher than SIN (if that is a stop), but if not, you'll have problems. I think you can do TPE and some others (2 seats at least).

Originally Posted by hearna
Would a western Canada - Europe - DPS work? I am now thinking of a YEG-FCO-SIN-DPS but even if this is valid there does not seem to be a way to fly between SIN and DPS without back tracking to BKK...
Old May 8, 2015, 7:37 am

Does SQ availability not show on UA.com?
Old May 8, 2015, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Does SQ availability not show on UA.com?
No SQ
No ZH
No ET J
Old May 9, 2015, 7:05 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
I had BKK-VIE-YYZ on BR and OS as the last part of my trip.

That has been changed to BKK-MUC-YYZ on TG and LH, respectively.

Would I be able to call in and change the routing due to this change? I just happened to notice it as I'm quite careful in making sure my seat selections are still what I chose months earlier.

Any suggestions for a new routing (in J)? I don't care if I backtrack over Europe-Canada, or TPAC back to YYZ. The travel date is July 14.

I was looking forward to flying OS' 763, too!

TIA.

Last edited by yqtyyz; May 9, 2015 at 7:11 pm Reason: Date
Old May 9, 2015, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by yqtyyz
I had BKK-VIE-YYZ on BR and OS as the last part of my trip.

That has been changed to BKK-MUC-YYZ on TG and LH, respectively.

Would I be able to call in and change the routing due to this change? I just happened to notice it as I'm quite careful in making sure my seat selections are still what I chose months earlier.

Any suggestions for a new routing (in J)? I don't care if I backtrack over Europe-Canada, or TPAC back to YYZ. The travel date is July 14.

I was looking forward to flying OS' 763, too!

TIA.
What do you mean has been changed?
Was one of the flights cancelled/sched change to cause a misconnect?
They cant just arbitrarily change your routing - something must have triggered it.

Anyway, do some research, and call in saying the new schedule is unacceptable to you - you dont have to explain why - and you'd like to change it to XXX-YYY-ZZZ.

However, it is up to you to come up with an alternative and present it to the agent, dont take no for an answer.

Do not worry about scamcharges - you should not be charged any new ones, however if for example you find a scamcharge-free routing (like TK) - demand a recalculation
Old May 9, 2015, 7:21 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
I'll dig a bit deeper, yes - it's either the BR flight BKK-VIE or the OS VIE-YYZ flight (or both) that has/have been dropped/changed.

Thanks - knocking on wood, I'm still flying LO from YYZ-WAW to begin the trip. ^
Did a quick dummy booking on both airlines' sites. Both show as operating, and with J tickets to sell. AP Agent said that BR/OS cancelled the flight, causing the misconnect.

Will call Aeroplan shortly. Perhaps it has something to do with the MPM? I did book this last summer as soon as they became viewable on AP site.

Last edit: I'm doing CA BKK-PEK, NH PEK-NRT, AC NRT-YYZ. Not great, but I've never been through PEK and it's been a couple of years since I've done NRT. The change was free when I insisted upon it.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
What do you mean has been changed?
Was one of the flights cancelled/sched change to cause a misconnect?
They cant just arbitrarily change your routing - something must have triggered it.

Anyway, do some research, and call in saying the new schedule is unacceptable to you - you dont have to explain why - and you'd like to change it to XXX-YYY-ZZZ.

However, it is up to you to come up with an alternative and present it to the agent, dont take no for an answer.

Do not worry about scamcharges - you should not be charged any new ones, however if for example you find a scamcharge-free routing (like TK) - demand a recalculation

Last edited by yqtyyz; May 9, 2015 at 7:37 pm Reason: BR and OS search
Old May 11, 2015, 8:02 am

I found a pretty decent route;

YEG-IAH-FRA-ATH(Stop)-IST-SIN(Stop)-DPS(Stop)

I somehow doubt this being allowed; it is around 1000 miles over YEG-YYC-FRA-ATH-IST-SIN-DPS which seems to be the most direct route. (TATL) Any one comment if the IAH detour to fly UA 789 is worth it over a AC 333?
Old May 11, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: AE*SE, *AGold, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC

I somehow doubt this being allowed; it is around 1000 miles over YEG-YYC-FRA-ATH-IST-SIN-DPS which seems to be the most direct route. (TATL) Any one comment if the IAH detour to fly UA 789 is worth it over a AC 333?
Are you interested in YQ or in-flight experience? The UA flight will be cheaper, but I haven't flown UA long-haul to comment on the relative quality of the service or seats compared to AC. The 787 on IAH-FRA will likely be a newer plane, but I just did a trip where I flew TK A343 and A333, SQ A333, and LO 788, and while the novelty was nice I didn't really find a big difference in my overall comfort or satisfaction with the 788 compared to the A343/A333. YMMV.

I'd say if you'd rather the UA 788 out of IAH, then call and try to book it. It doesn't have to be the shortest possible routing to be valid, and there is really no other method right now than calling AE to find out if you desired routing will work.
Old May 11, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott

even the most direct route via Europe may not be allowed as YEG-DPS is less than 8.5K over the Pacific
Old May 11, 2015, 9:42 am

As an SE there is no YQ on AC... i suppose the more direct, skipping the 5h layover and the 4h hours on a UA 739 may not be worth the novelty of flying the 789. How would the now defunct MPM TPAC influence a TATL routing?
Old May 11, 2015, 9:56 am

As an SE there is no YQ on AC... i suppose the more direct, skipping the 5h layover and the 4h hours on a UA 739 may not be worth the novelty of flying the 789. How would the now defunct MPM TPAC influence a TATL routing?
In cases where old TPAC and TATL MPMs differed significantly (one much lower/higher than the other), many of the new unified MPMs have been in between the 2 old values, closer to the lower of the two, which basically meant the longer direction was no longer possible

obviously wont know till you try!
Old May 11, 2015, 10:42 am

YEG-YYC-LHR-BKK-DPS is valid as per AE website so TATL is not dead yet
Old May 12, 2015, 9:29 am

Would really appreciate some help on how to make this route work.

SEA-BKK(stop)-HKG(stop)-YYZ(STOP)-SEA

I believe the lag from HGK to YYZ is exceeding mileage. Is there a way I can add a layover somewhere to make this route valid? I tried the get the mileage from AP but she wouldn't give it to me... Thank you so much for your help!!

Last edited by iheartbora; May 12, 2015 at 9:38 am
Old May 12, 2015, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by iheartbora

I believe the lag from HGK to YYZ is exceeding mileage. Is there a way I can add a layover somewhere to make this route valid? I tried the get the mileage from AP but she wouldn't give it to me... Thank you so much for your help!!
I don't think layovers would help much.

MPM is based mainly on the furthest stop, with seemingly some slight variation now based on the specific routing. Adding layovers doesnt change that your 3 stops are BKK, HKG, YYZ, and the furthest one from SEA is BKK, so your MPM is mainly based on SEA-BKK.

Maybe it would work if you went with DPS as one of your Asia stops instead of BKK, then booked your own DPS-BKK flight
Old May 12, 2015, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by iheartbora

Correct above about the fact that adding a layover won't change your mileage. I doubt you'd be able to make anything work with your current itinerary, as YYZ is quite the detour from the route. I think you'd need to turn it into an actual mini-rtw, and have a stop in Perth, which would then allow you to route over the atlantic and stop in YYZ. So SEA-HKG-PER-YYZ-SEA, and revenue ticket BKK-HKG. Of course needing to add layovers in between to get you between them. Another option would probably be one-way revenue ticket to YYZ, then book YYZ-HKG-BKK-SEA as an open jaw (I think you can do SEA & YYZ open jaw...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.