Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2015, 10:34 pm

Programs: Air Canada-Aeroplan, NEXUS, E50K, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
YYC-Europe-Asia?

Has anyone managed any success with a mini RTW from YYC or YEG to Sin as the point of turnaround with a stop in Europe(CDG, I got LHR to work but is Paris really that much more) I know before it was possible but I'm having trouble. I'm looking for my parents. I've had success from YWG but seems YYC-Sin might be too few mqm's. Any tips/advice? Thanks so much!

Last edited by canadianhockey91; May 13, 2015 at 10:41 pm
Old May 14, 2015, 10:55 am

Pay for a one-way ticket to YYZ and start your trip there.

On the return, route SIN-YVR-YYC-YYZ and drop the last leg.
Old May 18, 2015, 2:47 pm

Forgive me if this has been answered, but I'm looking at doing my first redemption, and looking to burn through miles rather than have them worth less in a year from now. Luckily I got laid off so am super flexible with timing, but anyone with a job, I really have no idea what the value is in Aeroplan. The vast majority of flights costing as much in fees as a regular flight costs. Unless you have a fully open schedule and days to dedicate to planning out routes.

Anyways my question is that when constructing a flight segment by segment on aeroplan(Since ANA is no longer good), are there any restrictions or specific routing needed as is the case with fare tickets? For instance, I'm looking at going YYZ-PER in J, and searching that I get garbage results like everything in economy except for one short haul, but still charging for J. Now if I search YYZ-IST, I get YYZ-CAI, and CAI-IST, IST-SIN yields two more flights in J, and then SIN-PER also comes up as J. So YYZ-CAI-IST-CMB-SIN-PER all has J. (Mid July departure)

I guess my question is, if it's possible to go all the way from YYZ-PER in J, why don't these fares show up when I search?

The other question is since CAI would be higher mileage then PER (165k vs 160k), if I were to do a stop over there would my MPM be for CAI instead of PER?
Old May 18, 2015, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by seadog83
I guess my question is, if it's possible to go all the way from YYZ-PER in J, why don't these fares show up when I search?

The other question is since CAI would be higher mileage then PER (165k vs 160k), if I were to do a stop over there would my MPM be for CAI instead of PER?
1. The search engine cannot handle a 4 connection itinerary. You've done well coming up with a route. You will have to call in to see if its within PER MPM (it should be). The site also prefers garbage half economy routings on AC/LH because they are subject to scamcharges

2. If you dont stop - it should be 160k - remind the AE agent - you are just transiting. If you stop, PER MPM still applies, but they will be within their right to charge you 165k

Hope that helps.
Old May 19, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
I have an upcoming mini rtw departing in a few weeks, it was 150k in J. I'm looking at options to change my return and I found a decent one with an F flight for 105k (one way). Can I call now and make that change for an additional 35k points + change fee +/- difference in taxes or will they want an additional 70k to change the whole thing?
Old May 19, 2015, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by tryinginvain
I have an upcoming mini rtw departing in a few weeks, it was 150k in J. I'm looking at options to change my return and I found a decent one with an F flight for 105k (one way). Can I call now and make that change for an additional 35k points + change fee +/- difference in taxes or will they want an additional 70k to change the whole thing?
70k, even if just one leg is in F.
Old May 20, 2015, 6:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by rankourabu
70k, even if just one leg is in F.
That's what I thought. I suppose I could cancel the return and rebook it but I think I'll just wait and book something else after my departure. Are they now collecting YQ in those situations? I remember reading conflicting reports about it. I know in the past after departure they didn't collect or refund YQ for a change on the return.
Old May 20, 2015, 7:39 am

Does anyone know when they release the YYZ-IST; IST-BKK/SIN tickets on TK?
Old May 20, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: SPG/Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by tryinginvain
That's what I thought. I suppose I could cancel the return and rebook it but I think I'll just wait and book something else after my departure. Are they now collecting YQ in those situations? I remember reading conflicting reports about it. I know in the past after departure they didn't collect or refund YQ for a change on the return.
Since your booking was a mini rtw, I'm assuming there are stopovers.

You can't have a roundtrip (with or without stopovers) booked with outbound in J and inbound in F.

If you have no stopovers, you will need to cancel your entire booking, make a new booking for outbound in J, and return in F as two one-ways. In that case, you'll need to pay the change fee, plus fee for your F booking if you cannot do it online.

Others can correct me if there's anything wrong with my understanding
Old May 21, 2015, 3:52 pm

When I was booking Thai Airways, they were only showing 2 J seats available for the legs that I was looking at. After booking the 2 seats, 2 more opened up, and somebody said that is known to happen. Are there any other airlines that work that way, so that after booking 1 / 2 seats, another will open? AI has been showing 1 J seat, SQ the same, and it just had me wondering about possibilities with airlines other than TG...
Old May 21, 2015, 10:58 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by mkl8687
IST-SIN is a brand new route. If there are no seats currently available, they are probably holding them for new customers. They are aggressively advertising this route in Singapore at the moment with deep discount pricing.

I haven't personally seen much YYZ-IST availability, whereas I've seen lots on YUL-IST at the 6 month mark. I don't know why that is.
Old May 21, 2015, 11:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
IST-SIN is a brand new route. If there are no seats currently available, they are probably holding them for new customers. They are aggressively advertising this route in Singapore at the moment with deep discount pricing.

I haven't personally seen much YYZ-IST availability, whereas I've seen lots on YUL-IST at the 6 month mark. I don't know why that is.
Wait what? IST-SIN isn't a new route. I flew it in 2013. Unless they cancelled it in the meantime and brought it back?
Old May 22, 2015, 4:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Wait what? IST-SIN isn't a new route. I flew it in 2013. Unless they cancelled it in the meantime and brought it back?
Not sure when they release seats but... at end of Feb I booked 2 J seats YYZ-IST-SIN on TK for next Feb
Old May 22, 2015, 6:46 am

I just booked IST-BKK-SIN in early July on TK. Availability is pretty good for that period. Last I checked there were still business seats on IST-KUL-SIN on TK as well. But I couldn't find any business direct IST-SIN for this period, and I have been checking periodically since the new year.

yours,
David
Old May 22, 2015, 10:44 am

IST-KUL is more commonly available in J, and KUL-SIN is less than an hour on SQ

YUL-IST was mentioned, that is way more available than YYZ-IST

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.