Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: AC*SE100K , HH DIAMOND, MARRIOTT PLATINUM
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
The problem is, if you move to F, you'd basically only get the ORD-NRT segment on NH; there are no other carriers flying anything decent, and onwards from NRT you're also stuck, because NH doesn't fly F, and SQ won't release space, and CA is not worth spending points on (though you could go NRT-HKG-BKK-SIN, which would at least get you a single segment on TG).

As for IST - I wouldn't change it. I think everything that was going to happen already did; MLE-IST-YUL (assuming that's what you have) is a great routing. You will have a hard time finding MLE-SIN in business (I had to settle for Y).

I'm booked MLE-IST(2 day stop)-CDG-(20 hour layover)-YUL, it seems violence in turkey is on the upswing - don't know if I want to stay over any longer than needed - while I'm currently not alarmed, I just have some concerns... trip is in October

I already see business MLE-SIN for the day I want to leave and then first class availability from BKK-FRA - would just need to wait for space to possibly open up for my NH flight which I am currently booked and LH on the way home
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Hi all,

Need some help here to figure out why I can't book the itinerary I was looking at.
YYZ-IAD-BRU-SXB (stop)
SXB-BRU-IST-MLE (destination)
MLE-IST-ORD-YYZ.

BRU seems to be the issue here but since there are no other routing to go to SXB and I don't intend to make a stop there..I thought it would be OK, but the second leg appears grey out on aeroplane website when I want to book. I guess I can do an OJ and leave from GVA or ZRH instead of SXB otherwise

Also you think the return leg could be done eastward thru Singapore and Beijing instead of back thru Europe or would it be over MPM?
MPM is calculated each way between my city, YYZ and the POS/destination right?

Thank you
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by djskynet
Hi all,

Need some help here to figure out why I can't book the itinerary I was looking at.
YYZ-IAD-BRU-SXB (stop)
MLE-IST-ORD-YYZ.

BRU seems to be the issue here but since there are no other routing to go to SXB and I don't intend to make a stop there..I thought it would be OK, but the second leg appears grey out on aeroplane website when I want to book. I guess I can do an OJ and leave from GVA or ZRH instead of SXB otherwise

Also you think the return leg could be done eastward thru Singapore and Beijing instead of back thru Europe or would it be over MPM?

Thank you
Correct, you can not transit the same city twice on the way to the destination.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by monkai
Correct, you can not transit the same city twice on the way to the destination.
But, to be clear, you CAN transit the same city once before your POT and then once after POT.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: AC E, BA Bronze, HHonors Gold
Valid route?

I have already booked:

YUL-YYZ-ICN Stop
ICN-TPE Stop
TPE-PEK-YYZ-YUL

But wanted to add one destination: Looking for

YUL-YYZ-ICN Stop
ICN-TPE Stop
TPE-BKK-VIE-TLV Stop
TLV-BRU-YUL

Is it a valid route?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by djskynet
Hi all,

YYZ-IAD-BRU-SXB (stop)
MLE-IST-ORD-YYZ.

Thank you
Drop SXB and take the train to/from Strasbourg.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by uni3052

YUL-YYZ-ICN Stop
ICN-TPE Stop
TPE-BKK-VIE-TLV Stop
TLV-BRU-YUL

Is it a valid route?
i'd say no since your point of turnaround is TPE and your "return" segment TPE-BKK-VIE-TLV-BRU-YUL would probably put you over MPM. as a point of reference (since we don't know the MPM for YUL-TPE), the MPM for YYZ-SIN is only 13095 and your routing is 13754.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:39 pm

Thanks to all you fine people in this forum and a lot of research, we booked our big mini-RTW trip!

YYZ-ORD AC Y (<24h)
ORD-NRT NH J stop 2 nights
NRT-SGN NH J open jaw
HAN-BKK TG J (<24h)
BKK-HKG TG J stop 4 nights
HKG-NRT NH J (<24h)
HND-YYZ AC J

150k AP points + $680.16 inc phone fee

Most of the fees are for TG, and AC for HND-YYZ as AP doesn't seem to recognize it as a ex-HKG routing with no YQ due to the airport change (not valid ticket route I think).

We're hoping to change to BR for HKG-YYZ to skip AC, the layover in Tokyo, and get fees down, but we would have to change to BR after departure due to the 2 week BR availability nonsense.

Can anyone confirm if we would get a refund of the taxes/fee difference for a change after departure or do we forfeit any reduction?

Also, could we do BR for YYZ-TPE-NRT on the way out as availability comes up, then also change to HKG-TPE-YYZ on the way back after departure on this routing or does that break MPM?

I am still not sure about this whole MPM thing..
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by aerodan
Also, could we do BR for YYZ-TPE-NRT on the way out as availability comes up, then also change to HKG-TPE-YYZ on the way back after departure on this routing or does that break MPM?

There isn't a documented number for YYZ-SGN in the city pair mileage thread, so it's really just a guess unless you get actual numbers. Your current routing is 9,433 miles, stated change is 11,597. I was quoted 12,408 for Phuket, so it could be close, but you'll need to get confirmation.

Changing your return doesn't impact MPM.

Interesting that you got 2 stopovers and the open jaw. This has fallen as both acceptable and disallowed over the past (it could be either 1 stopover + open jaw or 2 stopovers + open jaw). Another routing that shows it being allowed.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Thanks to all you fine people in this forum and a lot of research, we booked our big mini-RTW trip!

YYZ-ORD AC Y (<24h)
ORD-NRT NH J stop 2 nights
NRT-SGN NH J open jaw
HAN-BKK TG J (<24h)
BKK-HKG TG J stop 4 nights
HKG-NRT NH J (<24h)
HND-YYZ AC J

150k AP points + $680.16 inc phone fee

Most of the fees are for TG, and AC for HND-YYZ as AP doesn't seem to recognize it as a ex-HKG routing with no YQ due to the airport change (not valid ticket route I think).

We're hoping to change to BR for HKG-YYZ to skip AC, the layover in Tokyo, and get fees down, but we would have to change to BR after departure due to the 2 week BR availability nonsense.

Can anyone confirm if we would get a refund of the taxes/fee difference for a change after departure or do we forfeit any reduction?

not sure how you got it -- 2 stops and an open jaw!! I have never been successful at getting that!! I have only been able to get 2 stops -- or a stop and one open jaw..
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by joeags
There isn't a documented number for YYZ-SGN in the city pair mileage thread, so it's really just a guess unless you get actual numbers. Your current routing is 9,433 miles, stated change is 11,597. I was quoted 12,408 for Phuket, so it could be close, but you'll need to get confirmation.

Changing your return doesn't impact MPM.

Interesting that you got 2 stopovers and the open jaw. This has fallen as both acceptable and disallowed over the past (it could be either 1 stopover + open jaw or 2 stopovers + open jaw). Another routing that shows it being allowed.
Thanks for the info.

The itinerary actually lists HKG as my destination not SGN, not sure if that would make a difference. Best to call and try it seems!

Originally Posted by ciana
not sure how you got it -- 2 stops and an open jaw!! I have never been successful at getting that!! I have only been able to get 2 stops -- or a stop and one open jaw..
I think I went through so many scenarios/combos with the agent that maybe they missed one of the stops

Hope that if I call to make changes they won't disallow it! I guess it's all ticketed now, so worst case keep the itinerary as is...
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
I think I went through so many scenarios/combos with the agent that maybe they missed one of the stops

Hope that if I call to make changes they won't disallow it! I guess it's all ticketed now, so worst case keep the itinerary as is...
(Bolding mine) Quite possibly the reason, particularly as it lengthens the call. I also noticed that catching agents late in the day seems to lead to more "fortunate" mistakes on their part. However, be warned that a more alert agent might catch it if you call again (something akin to that happened to me).
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:06 am

Thanks for the info.

The itinerary actually lists HKG as my destination not SGN, not sure if that would make a difference. Best to call and try it seems!
YYZ-HKG is 10,957 according to the MPM list, so that wouldn't work. Strange to me that HKG would be the destination when SGN is definitely further, and you were able to do an open jaw with SGN-HAN. This is one of the consistents that I have noticed - the open jaw must be at origin or destination.

The thing to me is that I thought it was a computer system function of deciding routings, and that the power of the agents was removed with the changes. That being the case, maybe the system allows the open jaw + 2 stops, but the agents are the ones that catch it.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Marlin240
(Bolding mine) Quite possibly the reason, particularly as it lengthens the call. I also noticed that catching agents late in the day seems to lead to more "fortunate" mistakes on their part. However, be warned that a more alert agent might catch it if you call again (something akin to that happened to me).
Thanks. Bit afraid to call them for any changes now from what you guys have said, maybe I'll just try for the return part after we have left and done half our trip to reduce the change of any issues and take the hit if taxes/fee differences are not refunded.

Found this thread that doesn't look good for refund after departure: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23744848-post78.html

Originally Posted by joeags
YYZ-HKG is 10,957 according to the MPM list, so that wouldn't work. Strange to me that HKG would be the destination when SGN is definitely further, and you were able to do an open jaw with SGN-HAN. This is one of the consistents that I have noticed - the open jaw must be at origin or destination.

The thing to me is that I thought it was a computer system function of deciding routings, and that the power of the agents was removed with the changes. That being the case, maybe the system allows the open jaw + 2 stops, but the agents are the ones that catch it.
Actually I got it wrong - checked and destination is listed as Ho Chi Minh (SGN), my bad. So all in line with what you said.

Do you mean the Dec 2015 changes? We actually booked this just before then on old rules, but only just got around to posting on the forum
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Are there any *A destinations from PNH other than BKK?

Trying to reroute a mRTW away from IST, but with PNH as the destination this gets hard to do without going through BKK more than once on each side of the POT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.