Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rankourabu
There are plenty of elite awards between SFO and LAX in IN class on nonstops in August (see calendar)
You have your priority rewards (well 10 of them anyway), we have ours.
I was looking for 2 seats. I'm not sure how that affects the IN results.

But if we take a comparable AC route (YYZ-YUL), here's the calendar without IKK, again with 2 seats selected.

Not a huge deal for me, since we'll get the CPU if we can't find I space, but it just surprised me that nothing would be available this far out.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Most of my large bookings are made hours up to a couple weeks (at the very high end) before departure, and I've usually been able to find I2 to I3 on something reasonable.

In recent memory I found I3+ (maybe higher, didn't check) on SFO-IAH 3 hours out. I found I2+ on EWR-SFO a day or two out.

I can usually find SFO-LAX fairly easily. My first failure was in September where I just couldn't get LAX-SFO for two people in X or I, so we had to buy tickets. But MPM will allow us to do LAX-YYZ stop -SFO with the remains of the booking, so we're content.

I'm booked in X right now (everything else is I or O), and due to the status of the other passenger, we'd likely clear an upgrade if I can't find I space before departure, but I find it ridiculous that this is considered acceptable within Star Alliance.

I've been booked SFO-SBO-LAX before due to availability, and even that would be fine. There's just nothing. Compare that to something like LH where I can usually find I space on almost every flight between FRA/MUC/TXL.
21/30 days in the next 3 days are available for SFO-LAX for Silver and up.... You cant complain these are not available to Aeroplan. You get access to a lot more inventory as an AC SE than other star alliance members (how is that considered acceptable within Star Alliance!)
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was looking for 2 seats. I'm not sure how that affects the IN results.

Not a huge deal for me, since we'll get the CPU if we can't find I space, but it just surprised me that nothing would be available this far out.
So was I, 2 seats.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
21/30 days in the next 3 days are available for SFO-LAX for Silver and up.... You cant complain these are not available to Aeroplan. You get access to a lot more inventory as an AC SE than other star alliance members (how is that considered acceptable within Star Alliance!)
This is what's available to UA for YYZ-YUL for 2 people in J:

I'm not saying everything should be made available, it just seems odd that NOTHING is made available.

Even as a 1K, you have better access to AC YYZ-YUL than to UA SFO-LAX.

Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even as a 1K, you have better access to AC YYZ-YUL than to UA SFO-LAX.
Luckily, I have no desire or need to fly either
But I see your point. The sheer glut of UA miles out there, and most being redeemed on domestic flights, really limits availability.

I can much easier find J TATL/TPAC space on AC than UA using either Aeroplan or MP.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:57 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Star Alliance - Gold, Bonvoy-Titanium, Hilton-Gold, Avis-President's Club
Can i stitch these below segments and how much points do i need to get all these in Business class? All business are still available using AP rewards.

Pvg-bkk
bkk-cgk
cgk-sin
sin-hkg
All 4 segments are direct.

can this be sticthed as 1 one way ticket or does this have to be done 2 one way ticket (pvg-bkk / bkk-cgk and cgk-sin / sin-hkg)?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Flyingbunny88
Can i stitch these below segments and how much points do i need to get all these in Business class? All business are still available using AP rewards.

Pvg-bkk
bkk-cgk
cgk-sin
sin-hkg

can this be sticthed as 1 one way ticket or does this have to be done 2 one way ticket (pvg-bkk / bkk-cgk and cgk-sin / sin-hkg)?
I called aeroplan and spoke with 4 different agents and I was told no stitching allowed.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pvg-bkk
bkk-cgk
cgk-sin
sin-hkg

Even if you could find an agent willing to put this together like we were used to be able to do pre amadeus devaluation, it would be over MPM as a one way.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Even if you could find an agent willing to put this together like we were used to be able to do pre amadeus devaluation, it would be over MPM as a one way.
Yeah there's no way this would be bookable as a one-way , way too much flying for PVG-HKG.

A round-trip PVG-BKK-CGK // CGK-SIN-HKG is what you'd need to do and should be bookable online.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 6:35 pm

Just logged into my booking because I got a notification about a seat change.

It says my flight has been rescheduled, but shows up as completely normal.

Before I call Aeroplan and spend eternity on hold, does this have anything to do with the Amadeus switchover and it's just a glitch? Everything shows up the same in my account.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:40 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Star Alliance - Gold, Bonvoy-Titanium, Hilton-Gold, Avis-President's Club
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Yeah there's no way this would be bookable as a one-way , way too much flying for PVG-HKG.

A round-trip PVG-BKK-CGK // CGK-SIN-HKG is what you'd need to do and should be bookable online.
Did you mean 2 one way tickets? PVG to CGK via BKK and CGK to HKG via SIN?
I want to stop at BKK for 5 days on the way to CGK, and stop at SIN for 3 days on the way to HKG. I don't think i can do it online.
I have to do 4 one way tickets if i were to do it online, i think.. Can I then call so that they stitch the stopover with different dates of departure at BKK and SIN?

Last edited by Flyingbunny88; Jan 7, 2020 at 9:41 pm Reason: Adding # of days at SIN.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you mean 2 one way tickets? PVG to CGK via BKK and CGK to HKG via SIN?
I want to stop at BKK for 5 days on the way to CGK, and stop at SIN for 3 days on the way to HKG. I don't think i can do it online.
I have to do 4 one way tickets if i were to do it online, i think.. Can I then call so that they stitch the stopover with different dates of departure at BKK and SIN?
How exactly were you planning to book all that as a one-way flight? oO

And no, I mean a round-trip multi-city. If you book two one-ways you're not allowed a stopover. Since the rule changed a ways back (September) you're also not allowed to combine an open-jaw with a stopover or have two stopovers anymore.

So yeah, you have to do 4 one-way tickets with your itinerary. no way around it. The current rules only allow one stopover or open-jaw - not 2 stopovers AND an open jaw. You can't stitch them together, it won't price out that way because the rules just don't allow it.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:40 pm

Travel within a single continent (Asia) doesn't even have stopovers on a roundtrip, or did that change?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crimsona
Travel within a single continent (Asia) doesn't even have stopovers on a roundtrip, or did that change?
No, I just forgot about that too. So that itinerary wouldn't work on like... three different levels.

Honestly the BEST way to book that is using BA Avios and zig-zag around on one-ways since distance-based it's gonna be more affordable than 4 intra-asia oneways.

(or just cash.)
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:44 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by smuncky
Had my first experience w/ calling in and didn't go all too well unfortunately. Would've booked everything online but because I wanted to do a change of airport (HND to NRT) for my 2nd leg, I had to call in.

Called 30 times and got the instant rejection. Call 31 got me in the queue for 1.5 hours (no status both for AC or AP).

Here was the route I tried to get:
YYZ-HND AC J
NRT-CTU-SIN CA J
SIN-HKG-YYZ SQ J, AC PY

First leg was fine, second leg he stumbled on as he didn't see the flights but then was able to take them as 2 separate segments, and third flight he wasn't able to do the AC PY portion (even though it's available as a stand alone flight) and said that if I wanted to do that as a 'combo', it'd be in AC Y.

I argued a bit but reluctantly agreed to doing SIN-PEK-YYZ with CA J and AC PY, because I wanted to lock in the first leg and then monitor EVA availability closer to the date. However, when he tried to book the whole thing, he said he got an error for the second leg and didn't give a great explanation of why. I asked if it was because of the new system, he said possibly. Asked him if he could try to book it on the old system and was told no.

Guess I'm gonna have to keep on trying.
Tried to call yesterday and was on hold for 1h40m but had to hang up because it was getting late. Called in today, waited 1h50m before I got an agent. Tried to do the same book as above but it ultimately didn't go through. The first and third legs were ok, but the second leg would not show up on her end. She said it's probably phantom award space and there's nothing she can do. I had a quick chat w/ her about the new system and about booking segment by segment and got the same answer as many on here, and other places, that they aren't able to do that anymore. What you see online is what you'd be able to book w/ them (unless there's phantom availability). You'd only need to call them if you had a co-terminal like in my example above, as the website doesn't allow for that.

So in the end, I did find some space as a back up and my final itinerary came out to this, which I booked fully on the AP website.

YYZ-HND, AC J
HND-PVG-SIN, NH/SQ J
SIN-HKG-YYZ, SQ/AC J/PY

Everything in J w/ only the last segment in PY, which I'm hoping I can change to some BR J if space opens up a few days before the last flight.

Came out to $590/pp. I know I've seen some itineraries w/ super low fees/taxes, but I don't think I have it *too* bad considering there's 2 AC flights.

Either way, excited about the upcoming trip in a few months!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.