Mini RTW Questions

Old Jan 23, 20, 1:52 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Stuga View Post
I'm in the middle of a mini rtw and disaster struck. 5 pages have been ripped out of the middle of my passport. I'm currently in Bali it's Thursday 4:30 pm local time and I'm supposed to fly to Taipei in 24 hours.

There's no Canadian embassy in Bali and to get a replacement passport sent from Jakarta will take at least a week.

The photo page of my passport is fine and the pages ripped out were all blank and I still have them. I think if I just hand the passport to the Bali immigration they wouldn't even notice and stamp my exit beside the entry stamp. I'm very concerned about the Taiwanese officers denying entry and my next stop after that is Tokyo which decreases my chances of flying around with this passport even further.

I'm thinking about calling aeroplan when they open and abandoning the Taipei stop to fly to Jakarta and sort this out in person.

I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks.
This is a really tough situation that Iím afraid nobody here will be able to help you with and youíll have to rely on your gut to deal with.

If *I* were in your place, hereís what I would do.

1. Verify that ALL pages are available and that they match with serial number etc (since each page is stamped).
2. Depending on if itís a very clean rip or not, Iíd decide whether to:
- 2a) if the rip is very clean AND the Indonesian visa remains in place, Iíd just keep the pages in my backpack and hand the passport as is. If questioned, explain the situation and say you assumed you need to get to the closest embassy to fix it and thatís what youíre doing by going to Taipei (most agents will have no idea whether Canada has formal diplomatic relations with Taiwan or not)
- 2b) if the rip is not clean and is obvious pages were ripped (but they remain available), you attach them to the passport and be prepared to explain at exit.
3. On arrival to Taipei (or hopefully before! depending how soon the flight is) I would contact the Trade Mission there and request whether they can assist to replace the passport. If they say no, I would still not panic and try for Tokyo (assuming youíre going to Tokyo). The Tokyo embassy can get it done in a day or two in a true emergency.

In summary: Iíd not abort the trip, because thereís nothing you can do right now, and youíre not breaking any immigration laws so I wouldnít worry about ending up in jail. And have the emergency contact number for Canadians on speed dial JUST in case. Just be prepared with your explanation and your proposed next steps (get to an embassy and get it fixed).

https://www.international.gc.ca/worl....aspx?lang=eng

https://travel.gc.ca/assistance/emergency-assistance

Bonus thought: IF you make it as far as Tokyo and Canada is your next stop, then I wouldnít even worry about it since Canada must let you in even without a passport, so Iíd just deal with it when Iím back.
expert7700 and Stuga like this.
Old Jan 23, 20, 3:02 am

Thanks Pseudo Nim. I will try to get to Taipei with the current passport. I am only in Taipei from Friday night to Monday afternoon so of course the trade office embassy is closed the entire weekend as well as Monday and Tuesday for Chinese New year. Couldn't make this stuff up.

​​​​​​If I can get there I will request emergency consular services and see what happens.
Old Jan 23, 20, 3:26 am

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Stuga View Post
Thanks Pseudo Nim. I will try to get to Taipei with the current passport. I am only in Taipei from Friday night to Monday afternoon so of course the trade office embassy is closed the entire weekend as well as Monday and Tuesday for Chinese New year. Couldn't make this stuff up.

​​​​​​If I can get there I will request emergency consular services and see what happens.
Yup. And donít stress it. The airline has to fly you back if they let you on.
Old Jan 23, 20, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade
Anyone has found ways to take the EVA new 789 flights for 2?
I have been checking TPE-VIE route and there is at most 1 seat at any time. TPE-CDG on the other hand has two seats, but it is still flying the older 777 config

EDIT: found some availability within T-7.

Last edited by cennis; Jan 23, 20 at 4:02 pm
Old Jan 23, 20, 4:34 pm

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by cennis View Post
Anyone has found ways to take the EVA new 789 flights for 2?
I have been checking TPE-VIE route and there is at most 1 seat at any time. TPE-CDG on the other hand has two seats, but it is still flying the older 777 config

EDIT: found some availability within T-7.
I have my upcoming mrtw booked on EVA 789 TPE - VIE, flying in july and booked in Oct
Old Jan 23, 20, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade
Originally Posted by jugaadkabaap View Post
I have my upcoming mrtw booked on EVA 789 TPE - VIE, flying in july and booked in Oct
​​​​​​​> 1 people?
Old Jan 23, 20, 8:02 pm

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by cennis View Post
> 1 people?
Nope. 1 pax. But a friend of mine booked same for 2 pax (him and his wife) - he booked his trip first and told me. It tempted me to route via VIE. Unsure whether he ticketed it in same PNR or booked from 2 separate AE accounts.
cennis likes this.
Old Jan 24, 20, 11:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by jugaadkabaap View Post
Nope. 1 pax. But a friend of mine booked same for 2 pax (him and his wife) - he booked his trip first and told me. It tempted me to route via VIE. Unsure whether he ticketed it in same PNR or booked from 2 separate AE accounts.
I found 1, but couldn't find 2 pax either around the Feb 19 range. Which has to be a blessing in disguise...I would have switched my whole second leg to fly TPE-VIE-ZRH-YUL-YYZ instead of TPE-YYZ direct!
Old Jan 24, 20, 11:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by Rykoshet View Post
I found 1, but couldn't find 2 pax either around the Feb 19 range. Which has to be a blessing in disguise...I would have switched my whole second leg to fly TPE-VIE-ZRH-YUL-YYZ instead of TPE-YYZ direct!
I would never fly four segments instead of a direct flight no matter what... the craziest I did for AHA F was YYZ - ORD - NRT - WUH.
Old Jan 24, 20, 11:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes View Post
I would never fly four segments instead of a direct flight no matter what... the craziest I did for AHA F was YYZ - ORD - NRT - WUH.
Oh I know it's definitely odd, but the purpose of this whole trip is to treat my wife to J. We enjoyed our first mRTW to NZ so much we're doubling the segments on this YYZ-PER run. And lots of crisscrossing to pad flight hours Something like 74 hours of flying on a 420 hour trip. Considering some of our favourtime pastimes are travel, reading and drinking, it fits nicely into the whole vacation. *shrug*
cennis likes this.
Old Jan 24, 20, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes View Post
Depends on fleet and YQ.

Well, I am cheap so if i can save 600-800$ on YQ and fly a better airline and fleet and have more fun up in the air plus enough time for me to stretch my body properly - i will pick that instead of a 12+ hr direct flight. To each to their own - ha ha

I found that a 12 hr + direct in J (i havent flown F yet by choice) is more tiring than a hopped routing - i arrive much more fresh (a shower in lounge, good food & drinks etc) with the hopped routing save the recovery time at destination even if it takes couple more hours to reach.
Twickenham and don_drapper like this.
Old Jan 24, 20, 3:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by Rykoshet View Post
Oh I know it's definitely odd, but the purpose of this whole trip is to treat my wife to J. We enjoyed our first mRTW to NZ so much we're doubling the segments on this YYZ-PER run. And lots of crisscrossing to pad flight hours Something like 74 hours of flying on a 420 hour trip. Considering some of our favourtime pastimes are travel, reading and drinking, it fits nicely into the whole vacation. *shrug*
To be honest our first ever mini RTW was all about J in the air and minimizing fees too. Then... we got a baby. End of story. Haha!
Old Jan 26, 20, 12:21 pm

I want to try ANA new J so part of planning my mini-RTW includes the leg in bold on the way home, would this be valid or is this considered backtracking? Also can we fly in to JFK but leave from EWR? Are they considered co-terminals? From my research it seems to be so, not sure if this has changed with recent changes at aeroplan.

YVR-TPE-SIN-CMB (stop)
CMB-SIN-NRT
NRT-JFK-EWR-YVR

Last edited by aleks77; Jan 26, 20 at 12:27 pm
Old Jan 26, 20, 12:24 pm

Are you over mpm?
Old Jan 26, 20, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona View Post
Are you over mpm?
Depends how i route from CMB-NRT, I might do open jaw at CMB and figure out a way to keep it under mpm.

Search this Thread