Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by TeeZee
Hi, I want to go from yyz to bud on September 18. I'm stuck on that date due to commitments. I've tried (jfk, ord, bos..) but can't find anything in J the whole way, without AC nonsense. I want to arrive in the afternoon of the 19th. Guess my lack of flexibility is the problem? This is my first time trying this out. Thanks.
JFK-FRA-BUD is available on LH J - but it will cost $$$ in YQ, so may as well fly YYZ-MAD on AC, and connect from there.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I had pieced together a nice trip last night, after Aeroplan was closed. This morning, my domestic NZ flight AKL-ZQN (and the other slightly worse timed one) is now X0.

How is NZ at opening domestic Y space?

I only have two full stops I want, but since ZQN isn't the POT (that would be SIN), I don't think I can turn this into an open jaw to make it work.

I suppose I could make some other NZ city my stopover and position myself, but we're looking at 3-6 hour drives or several hundred in round-trip Y fares to make it happen. All because Aeroplan closed at 9pm PDT

Edit: NZ space came back, but it's phantom. Aeroplan agent is being great, but no joy with getting this done.

So question remains the same: Does NZ open space on domestic routes closer to departure?
The short answer is yes (for Y). If you're looking at Y, can you not fly Jetstar for like $75?

curious about your itinerary if you don't mind sharing after you book.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Ok I have posted a slightly different version of the question below in the newbie thread but this is probably a better place:

I am a bit confused about open jaw mini atw.

YYZ-YUL-PVG (all in AC J)
Stop in Shanghai for a week, then leave from Shanghai’s SHA airport
SHA - SZX (Shenzhen Air X)
Stop in Shenzhen for a week
SZX- PVG (CA1894 economy, arriving 1:30PM) - YYZ (long haul in J departing 6PM same day as SZX-PVG).

I’m wondering if above is a valid mini rtw routing and what’s the risk for booking SZX-PVG leg on Air China. That is, if Air China segment craps out (cancelled, or delayed or flat out refused my award ticket), can I buy my own ticket and fly the long haul portion PVG-YYZ on AC J without flying the short haul on CA??

If I call Aeroplan to book can I ask them to waive the booking fee since it’s not doable on the website?

Thanks!!
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Rykoshet
The short answer is yes (for Y). If you're looking at Y, can you not fly Jetstar for like $75?

curious about your itinerary if you don't mind sharing after you book.
Two pax
SFO-AKL UA J
AKL-WLG NZ Y
/// paid tickets WLG-ZQN-WLG, refundable NZ Y - we have ski equipment and are both *G, but I did look at non-*A options
"real" stop is ZQN

WLG-SIN SQ J
POT

SIN-BKK SQ J
BKK-HKG TG J
HKG-YVR AC J (IKK)
YVR-SFO AC J (IKK)

320k miles, $380.80 taxes/fees ($0 YQ), $60 in phone booking fees

If I can get AKL-ZQN (and if ZQN-WLG remains open), I can change the stopover point and refund the paid tickets. Unfortunately I can't open-jaw there, since ZQN-WLG is available.

I also want to clean up the return. Hoping for SIN-TPE-SFO or similar. Or at least SIN-HKG-YVR-SFO, but SIN-HKG is Y-only right now.

I also want to make date changes on both ends to extend the trip, but there's simply no space.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:37 pm

Two pax
SFO-AKL UA J
AKL-WLG NZ Y
/// paid tickets WLG-ZQN-WLG, refundable NZ Y - we have ski equipment and are both *G, but I did look at non-*A options
"real" stop is ZQN

WLG-SIN SQ J
POT

SIN-BKK SQ J
BKK-HKG TG J
HKG-YVR AC J (IKK)
YVR-SFO AC J (IKK)

320k miles, $380.80 taxes/fees ($0 YQ), $60 in phone booking fees

If I can get AKL-ZQN (and if ZQN-WLG remains open), I can change the stopover point and refund the paid tickets. Unfortunately I can't open-jaw there, since ZQN-WLG is available.

I also want to clean up the return. Hoping for SIN-TPE-SFO or similar. Or at least SIN-HKG-YVR-SFO, but SIN-HKG is Y-only right now.

I also want to make date changes on both ends to extend the trip, but there's simply no space.
Which dates are you looking at? Could you do *-CHC-ZQN or or *-DUD-ZQN. (Also not that you asked, but if you aren't familiar with NZ and heard good things about Milford Sound...it's vastly underwhelming IMHO, especially if you've seen the BC countryside...)

For the route home, when you say "clean it up", do you have any criteria? Those routes you mentioned specifically? Would you be open to SIN-IST for example?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:57 pm

Which dates are you looking at? Could you do *-CHC-ZQN or or *-DUD-ZQN. (Also not that you asked, but if you aren't familiar with NZ and heard good things about Milford Sound...it's vastly underwhelming IMHO, especially if you've seen the BC countryside...)

For the route home, when you say "clean it up", do you have any criteria? Those routes you mentioned specifically? Would you be open to SIN-IST for example?
I've checked all the connecting options within NZ. Nothing available yet.

For the return, anything more pleasant than that 3 stop. Right now the first flight is 0900 from SIN and we get back to SFO after 2200.

I'd definitely consider IST, I just haven't seen anything reasonable. I found a couple options through Europe, but they had a 12-16 hour layover in the European hub which is not desirable.

This is meant to be the first week of July, but I can take an extra weekday or two the week before and after. Right now it's the 29th through the 7th.

We have five free days of skiing in ZQN, so we want to take advantage of that as much as possible. We are currently not there that long.

It's a shame there isn't one search engine that works though. Aeroplan showed phantom NZ, but UA did not. UA wouldn't show the SQ space.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:08 pm

I've checked all the connecting options within NZ. Nothing available yet.

For the return, anything more pleasant than that 3 stop. Right now the first flight is 0900 from SIN and we get back to SFO after 2200.

I'd definitely consider IST, I just haven't seen anything reasonable. I found a couple options through Europe, but they had a 12-16 hour layover in the European hub which is not desirable.

This is meant to be the first week of July, but I can take an extra weekday or two the week before and after. Right now it's the 29th through the 7th.

We have five free days of skiing in ZQN, so we want to take advantage of that as much as possible. We are currently not there that long.

It's a shame there isn't one search engine that works though. Aeroplan showed phantom NZ, but UA did not. UA wouldn't show the SQ space.
Got it. I'll see if I come across any possible routings. Have you tried ANA search and then conforming with ExpertFlyer in award class?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:34 pm

Got it. I'll see if I come across any possible routings. Have you tried ANA search and then conforming with ExpertFlyer in award class?
No, I've just been using AP and UA.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:41 pm

Mix matching married segments question as I've never run into this before:

When searching JNB-HKG in J, I've been getting JNB-SIN-BKK-HKG all in J, or JNB-SIN-HKG in Y. Would it be possible to do JNB-SIN in J and then SIN-HKG in Y?

Also, intra-south America on Avianca has trouble showing up unless attached to a flight flying out of south America (GRU-JNB, or BOG-MAD). Am I able to attach I fares that show up on Expertflyer but not showing on Aeroplan? Specifically, LIM-GRU connection, which I think doesn't show due to the nearly 20 hour layover in GRU
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Currently at Stopover #1 of my miniRTW (Seoul).
Due to fly to Destination (KUL) tomorrow.

Is it possible / permitted to change flights this late?
( < 24 hours to schedules departure to KUL)

Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:49 am

Yes, just call Aeroplan.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:28 pm

Is NZ Y space phantom availability always this bad? It's really hard to stitch together a better stopover when I'm getting multiple daily EF alerts for X2, AND it shows up in the Aeroplan search (but not United).
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update

Today June 13th, received an "Itinerary Change Notice" email from Aeroplan, and another email with new e-tickets attachment.

I have not contacted Aeroplan at all. So the system automatically re-issued eTickets on the UA schedule change (from a 9:40 am departure to a 10:02 am departure.)

Now I need to check on the partner airlines to make sure the re-issued tickets are properly done, i.e. the partner airlines still show "Confirmed" status on all their segments as to reflect they also receive the re-issued tickets. Sigh.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:08 pm

If you had selected seats, you should check that too to make sure you still have the same.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
mRTW - Farthest destination from YVR in Europe 2?

Doing 3x J trip from YVR to Europe 2 next spring. Would love to make it a true rtw if possible so looking for return via Asia (really just for fun, why not?). We're wanting to go to CDG & ATH and are open for our 3rd stop. It appears LCA at 10708 is the longest maximum miles permitted from YVR. Ideally we'd return on BR VIE-TPE-YVR but that's 11554 so don't see how we can make that work. So:
* Any tips on furthest Europe 2 from YVR that I've missed?
* Any ideas on how to route via Asia when doing YVR-Europe 2?
(Yes, I realize it's unnecessary, maybe even silly, and will likely just end up doing the standard transatlantic return - guys gotta try though!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.