Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2020, 5:39 pm

Programs: AS; Aeroplan; Hilton (Diamond); Marriott (Platinum);
I’ve been struggling with Aeroplan with respect to a miniRTW I booked last August (old rules, two stopovers plus destination) . In short, my TK flights have been rebooked by TK without input from me (eg by 4 days) , but Aeroplan says they haven’t received notification of any changes from TK.

Would making Aeroplan provide me with paper tickets force their hand in admitting there is a flight change? I’ve tried to get their agents to look up my new TK itinerary on the TK website but they just shrug it off and say “we need TK to notify us of the change”. My trip starts in 7 weeks and I’m getting antsy.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 6:40 pm

Programs: AC SE, WJ Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Ambassador
Hi,

Wondering if someone could tell me if a mini RTW works out when starting in Europe, looking to book the below (with connections needed of course)

LHR-MNL
MNL-YYZ
YYZ-LHR

Thanks

Last edited by NB_Falcon; Feb 10, 2020 at 6:46 pm
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by NB_Falcon
Hi,

Wondering if someone could tell me if a mini RTW works out when starting in Europe, looking to book the below (with connections needed of course)

LHR-MNL
MNL-YYZ
YYZ-LHR

Thanks
Technically possible but not the most optimal one -

AFAIK
  • you will be paying 155K for that redemption in J as if the agent is on point - he will correctly tag it as a N.A to Asia 2 redemption (due to MNL - YYZ).
  • You will need to see if proposed routing with connections (which is not shown here yet) falls under the MPM
  • Also flying J out of LHR is COSTLY due to APD and you will be forced to fly LH especially if agent doesn’t allow you to segment switch with LX / SN etc
  • last but not least - cash fares from London are highly competitive to most parts of the world.

over all - it will be possible but may not be the most optimal redemption
NB_Falcon likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:10 pm

Programs: AC SE, WJ Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Ambassador
Looking at the routing below, realize the taxes out of LHR are not ideal (will try to convince wife to perhaps leave from Paris, however LHR is more likely), SE so can use AC for ICN-YYZ and YYZ-LHR, hopefully the MPM works out

LHR-BKK
BKK-MNL (Stop)
MNL-ICN
ICN-YYZ (Stop)
YYZ-LHR
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by NB_Falcon
Looking at the routing below, realize the taxes out of LHR are not ideal (will try to convince wife to perhaps leave from Paris, however LHR is more likely), SE so can use AC for ICN-YYZ and YYZ-LHR, hopefully the MPM works out

LHR-BKK
BKK-MNL (Stop)
MNL-ICN
ICN-YYZ (Stop)
YYZ-LHR
oh you forgot the most important part (SE), you are at advantage than majority here lol

if I may suggest an alternate routing,

Book an avios redemption to ZRH From LHR - even J as it will be under 2K miles so APD Is capped to lower amount

then,

ZRH - IST (LX / TK)
IST - MNL (TK)

MNL Is YQ limited Departure (IIRC)

MNL - HND - YYZ (via ANA & AC) or
MNL - TPE - YYZ (BR depending on availability)
MNL - IST - YYZ (TK - depending on what is considered destination by agent as back routing to IST is not possible unless it’s on way back)
or MNL - ICN - YYZ

YYZ - ZRH (AC or YYZ - YUL - ZRH With LX)
NB_Falcon likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by allbrosca
I decided to make a change to the mini RTW I previously booked for myself and my 2 daughters today. Wed wanted to avoid China because I was able to find an alternate booking and I did not know if I would be able to if the coronavirus became a problem.and its not the best time to be in China for a Canadian. I was able to find an alternate route from KIX to MEL through AKL, but with the last leg in economy (ugh!), but think I was pretty fortunate since there are 3 of us travelling on 2 different bookings. Bonus is we will have a layover in Auckland of over 7 hours. Any ideas how to spend it are welcome! Mini RTW looks like this now:

YYZ-YVR-HND-KIX (AC J, NH J, NH Y)
KIX-AKL-MEL (NZ J NZ Y)
MEL-SIN-WAW (SN J, LO J)
WAW-YYZ (LO J)

Second booking is:

YOW-YVR-HND-KIX (HND- KIX is on a flight 30 minutes earlier than the other booking)
KIX-AKL-MEL
MEL-SIN-WAW (MEL-SIN is on a flight 65 minutes earlier than the other booking)
WAW-YYZ-YOW

I have also booked internal flights from MEL-CNS-SYD-MEL. Should be a great trip!

Another bonus was my net refund was over $600 in taxes and surcharges, probably because I moved from 50K to 100K. I was lucky to get a great agent, but was on the phone for a long time. There was a problem reissuing the second ticket and the agent ran out of time and switched me to a second agent.who was able to finish the booking for me, but it took some time. Think I was on the phone for over 3 hours. Speakerphones are lifesavers in such situations!
I just did something similar ... supposed to come home through Shanghai at the end of March.

Our leg home was DPS-SIN-PVG-YYZ (Singapore Airlines and A/C) and changed to DPS-TPE-SEA-YYZ (now Eva and A/C)

The agent charged my credit card for the recalculated taxes of about $250 and the change fee for 2 ppl $220 (still considered "voluntary" when I made the change) and was told that $1000 of my original taxes/fees would be refunded to my credit card. I was so pumped about that that I didn't try to fight the change fee.

The charges have gone through (it's been about 4 business days) but no sign of the refund. How long did it take for you to get yours back?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:43 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by bobbiegt
I just did something similar ... supposed to come home through Shanghai at the end of March.

Our leg home was DPS-SIN-PVG-YYZ (Singapore Airlines and A/C) and changed to DPS-TPE-SEA-YYZ (now Eva and A/C)

The agent charged my credit card for the recalculated taxes of about $250 and the change fee for 2 ppl $220 (still considered "voluntary" when I made the change) and was told that $1000 of my original taxes/fees would be refunded to my credit card. I was so pumped about that that I didn't try to fight the change fee.

The charges have gone through (it's been about 4 business days) but no sign of the refund. How long did it take for you to get yours back?
I have not got my refund yet either! I made another change now trying to eliminate our stay in Japan. I am now:

YYZ-YVR-AKL (AC J)
AKL-MEL (NZ Y)
MEL-SIN-WAW (SN J, LO J for 2 bookings, one in Y)
WAW-YYZ (LO J)

When I phoned in to make the change, the agent had trouble doing it and upon further investigation, said it was because of the refund that was still outstanding. Lo and behold, I got a further refund on this one, probably becasue I graduated to SE100K since I booked it and not subject to all the YQ (if the refunds ever show up!). Flying about 5,000 miles less too!
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:12 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by allbrosca
I have not got my refund yet either!
Refund has now posted
Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:06 pm

Here's a picture of my damaged passport that made it through 3 countries on my mini rtw without a single immigration officer or airline staff noticing. The visa pages skips from page 14 to 23 and the top left corner of page 23 is mangled too. The Taiwan immigration officer ended up stamping page 23 upon exit and she didn't say anything.

I'm paranoid so I blacked out the serial number.
rankourabu and canadiancow like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Stuga
Here's a picture of my damaged passport that made it through 3 countries on my mini rtw without a single immigration officer or airline staff noticing. The visa pages skips from page 14 to 23 and the top left corner of page 23 is mangled too. The Taiwan immigration officer ended up stamping page 23 upon exit and she didn't say anything.

I'm paranoid so I blacked out the serial number.
Are you now able to tell us how this happened? Were poker chips involved?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by WKnight
Are you now able to tell us how this happened? Were poker chips involved?
Haha I think I'll keep it to myself...
Old Feb 15, 2020, 7:08 pm

This is promising!!! So how long did you wait ?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Only a very select few claim to be able to find agents to stitch itineraries together for new tickets.
The vast majority are told what you were told.
Just a quick update. I was successful recently (Feb 16) with an agent who I feed segment by segment for one of my booking from yyz to Per with stop over in SIN for Dec-Jan. So just keep trying and it is possible. It took her a while as she need to keep restarting her system. She even waived the booking fees.
cennis likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 1:42 pm

YYZ-SIN-PER

Originally Posted by toxiced
Just a quick update. I was successful recently (Feb 16) with an agent who I feed segment by segment for one of my booking from yyz to Per with stop over in SIN for Dec-Jan. So just keep trying and it is possible. It took her a while as she need to keep restarting her system. She even waived the booking fees.
I am also looking to book a similar trip only from YOW to PER via SIN for March 2021. I'm interested to know what routing you are taking and on which airlines. I'm looking to minimize YQ as much as possible and feeding segment by segment is definitely the way to go, if you can find an agreeable agent.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 3:28 pm

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by Shazaam
I am also looking to book a similar trip only from YOW to PER via SIN for March 2021. I'm interested to know what routing you are taking and on which airlines. I'm looking to minimize YQ as much as possible and feeding segment by segment is definitely the way to go, if you can find an agreeable agent.
You probably have more choices then me since you are going in March....My schedule was over the Christmas break so I didn't have too much to work with. But here is my routing for your info

YYZ - LHR - AC - A330
LHR - PEK - CA - A330
PEK- SIN - CA - A359

SIN - PER - SQ - 787

PER - SIN - SQ - A359
SIN - IST - TK - 777
IST - YUL - TK - 787
YUL - YYZ - AC

There are two AC flights that I am not crazy about since the fees are high, but I've locked down these routes for now and I am looking for availability and will most likely change some of the segment if other awards open up. If you go out of YUL, TK usually have good availability and I like TK since if your flight has a layover more then 9 hours, they put you up in 5 stars hotel or you can do a free tours ect. Plus the new lounge is super nice.

You can also look at Yow to bkk - to Per as an alternative if there's not much availability via SIN. I've seen some YYZ - to TPE - SIN with Eva, that has super cheap tax that you can also look at. Others may have other insight but that's what I found. Hope that helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.