South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2021, 8:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime, IHG Spire Elite
Hi! I see you're in Raleigh-Durham. I'm in NYC, and NYU Langone Hospital turns PCR tests around in under 24 hours (they say 48 but it's usually more like 12). I know in my hometown of Ft. Lauderdale that Holy Cross Urgent Care turns them around in 24 hours as well (they too say 48 hours). CVS has never seemed super confident in their turnaround time being within 72 hours, but it could be different by you. I'd try to contact local hospitals/urgent cares for turnaround times and also ask around locally. I'd venture to guess a hospital affiliated with Duke will be turning PCRs around quickly.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 8:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Originally Posted by dz1031
Hi! I see you're in Raleigh-Durham. I'm in NYC, and NYU Langone Hospital turns PCR tests around in under 24 hours (they say 48 but it's usually more like 12). I know in my hometown of Ft. Lauderdale that Holy Cross Urgent Care turns them around in 24 hours as well (they too say 48 hours). CVS has never seemed super confident in their turnaround time being within 72 hours, but it could be different by you. I'd try to contact local hospitals/urgent cares for turnaround times and also ask around locally. I'd venture to guess a hospital affiliated with Duke will be turning PCRs around quickly.
dz1031 my worry is more around the SA requirement of having the name and signature of the practitioner who conducted the test. I am trying to figure out whether the test results show that info...
Old Apr 13, 2021, 11:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime, IHG Spire Elite
Wish I could provide better information! I know that NYU Langone provides that if you tell them that you're traveling, but can't speak to anywhere else. I too would be worried about CVS or Walgreens providing this, so I would call around to see.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Desirees
CVS or Walgreens is an option but the test they provide - does it have the medical providers name and signature?
Surely the easiest and best way to get an accurate answer is to simply ask CVS or Walgreens?

Johan
tkelvin69 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Surely the easiest and best way to get an accurate answer is to simply ask CVS or Walgreens?

Johan
already did. They said the information is there - BUT they sounded unsure . Did HUCA and the responses just seemed canned as if they are guessing...
Old Apr 15, 2021, 8:22 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
dz1031 my worry is more around the SA requirement of having the name and signature of the practitioner who conducted the test. I am trying to figure out whether the test results show that info...
I believe you already received this answer on Trip Advisor and the signature is not required.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 10:05 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles, SPG
tkelvin69 Thanks for coming back to say that! after reading through this last night and emailing the testing site at LAX, and hearing they can't do signatures I was scrambling trying to figure out where to test in LA that would have quick enough turn around times yet have signatures. Its still on the South Africa MoH website, but I don't imagine they will update that guidance anytime soon.

I had anxiety about gate agents allowing me on flights from LAX and through our connection and then landing at JNB and getting stopped there or told we need to quarantine till retested.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 1:52 pm

Gosh- I still have anxiety my worry is that the ga is going to look at their site-see a signature i still required And deny us boarding because we have a negative rt per test and it doesn't show a signature.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Gosh- I still have anxiety my worry is that the ga is going to look at their site-see a signature i still required And deny us boarding because we have a negative rt per test and it doesn't show a signature.
Most (if not all) airlines have an entry requirements lookup page on their website these days. Have you looked it up there? That might ease your concerns a bit.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel
Most (if not all) airlines have an entry requirements lookup page on their website these days. Have you looked it up there? That might ease your concerns a bit.
I think thats their point. The country's entries requirements do state that a signature is required.
What are the requirements for the 72 hour PCR test for COVID-19?

Travellers intending to visit the country will be expected to produce a PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test that is not older than 72 hours from the time of departure from the country of origin to South Africa; and be presented before travelling to South Africa. This test must be conducted by a certified medical practitioner and should have the name and signature of the practitioner who conducted such test.
https://www.gov.za/covid-19/models/c...-provincemetro
Old Apr 15, 2021, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Then : These requirements for individual signature have been superseded for a number of Months. See SA Government Gazette No 44124 Dated 29 January 2021.

On TA post #3

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...th_Africa.html
Old Apr 15, 2021, 6:46 pm

Thanks, I'm goign to print out the gazette just to be safe. Every set site I called only does emailed results so I hadn't found any that would do with a signature. this is reassuring!
Old Apr 16, 2021, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by dwugson
There should be some consensus with the 72 hour limit to allow for the time change between countries.
Obviously, you've never flown to SA (that's a joke). But, TIA always applies.

Originally Posted by midwestspring
Can anyone give me some clarity on what the rules are if we fly to RSA through Europe from the USA? Is it going to be a problem if we have a layover in FRA? Looking to go in August. I'm nervous to book the South Africa side of things until I get the flights figured out.

Thanks
The difference is a layover v. transiting. If you're leaving the airport in FRA to stay there/see the town before your onward flight to SA, then you're likely checking in and have to retest based on the check in time when you check in at FRA. But, if you're just transiting, you've checked in all the through from XYZ to FRA to SA. So, your 72 hour window started at XYZ airport that checked your paperwork.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 4:27 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
IATA website does not list a signature as required, They are the best source of up to date information. Then again, if your info says "A" doctor's signature, not the ordering doctor's signature, and I'm pretty sure they don't have a database of doctor's signatures for the entire world.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but could someone check the Shindzela website for me? Are they operational/still exist? Everytime I try to access the website I get hotlinked to spam.

https://shindzela.co.za/

​​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.