South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2021, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You may want to ask this question in the relevant threads in the Africa forum.

Johan
Old Feb 5, 2021, 7:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Looking at both TIMATIC and the government website to which it links, I am not seeing any requirement for a signature. Can you point to the requirement on on an official website? Is it perhaps your air carrier which requires the signature as a condition of carriage rather than as part of a destination document check?

Also, note that South Africa merely requires a negative test for immediate entry. If one arrives without a negative test, one is required to submit to an immediate test + quarantine at one's own expense.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3.5MM), UA Premier, Hertz President's Circle, Marriott
Thank you
Old Feb 7, 2021, 3:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Looking at both TIMATIC and the government website to which it links, I am not seeing any requirement for a signature. Can you point to the requirement on on an official website? Is it perhaps your air carrier which requires the signature as a condition of carriage rather than as part of a destination document check?
The signature requirement was part of the original gazetted regulation and was subsequently removed when those regulations were revised. There isn't a "No signature required" statement in the updated regulations so some people may still give this advice not knowing that a change has been made.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, SAA Gold, Virgin Gold, Expedia Gold, Accor Silver
Things look like they may get worse before they get better for SA flights:
https://simpleflying.com/emirates-so...-suspension-2/

As things stand, I think SA is simply off limits, however an intrepid traveller you are. From the UK, I can't even think of a good intermediate country to visit on the return in order to avoid the hotel quarantine.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3.5MM), UA Premier, Hertz President's Circle, Marriott
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
The signature requirement was part of the original gazetted regulation and was subsequently removed when those regulations were revised. There isn't a "No signature required" statement in the updated regulations so some people may still give this advice not knowing that a change has been made.
Thank you for the update.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 7:41 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
At the moment, QR and ET offer a few fights a day. KLM/AF are sporadic, as is Swiss, LH and I see that a TK flight is coming into CPT tomorrow. There is also an Egypt Air flight on a sporadic basis.
I need to travel for work, intra-Africa, so will be shopping around with ET and QR (although no stopover is allowed anymore).
Old Feb 11, 2021, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
At the moment, QR and ET offer a few fights a day. KLM/AF are sporadic, as is Swiss, LH and I see that a TK flight is coming into CPT tomorrow. There is also an Egypt Air flight on a sporadic basis.
I need to travel for work, intra-Africa, so will be shopping around with ET and QR (although no stopover is allowed anymore).
KQ is also flying, plus some other "regional" flights, all depends on where you need to go but getting to JNB is very easy, CPT is a bit more limited so sometimes it's easier to just connect.
roadwarrier likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 10:29 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by fishz
As things stand, I think SA is simply off limits, however an intrepid traveller you are. From the UK, I can't even think of a good intermediate country to visit on the return in order to avoid the hotel quarantine.
Ethiopia
fishz likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Transit I-I

​​​Looking at flying QR DOH-WDH via JNB (using miles and the non stop is not available).

I plan on entering SA after Namibia so don’t want to deal with multiple entries without returning to home country.

1. Can I transit JNB without clearing immigration or picking up bags (all OW so bags shouldn’t be an issue I think)?

2. If I do have to clear and recheck for the next flight will I be restricted on re-entry to SA?

Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2021, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Transit I-I

​​​Looking at flying QR DOH-WDH via JNB (using miles and the non stop is not available).

I plan on entering SA after Namibia so don’t want to deal with multiple entries without returning to home country.

1. Can I transit JNB without clearing immigration or picking up bags (all OW so bags shouldn’t be an issue I think)?

2. If I do have to clear and recheck for the next flight will I be restricted on re-entry to SA?

Thanks
I'm not entirely sure how do you plan on flying QR from JNB to WDH? Maybe I'm missing something but for the foreseeable future only Airlink seems to fly JNB-WDH, to answer your questions:
1. Assuming bags are checked through, yes.
2. You don't specify what passport you are traveling with and whether you need a visa or simply getting a visa on arrival, what do tend to happen sometime with visa on arrival is that you will get 30/90 days on your first entry, and as long as the second entry falls within the same 30/90 days you will not get any extra days.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 7:27 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by Ditto
I'm not entirely sure how do you plan on flying QR from JNB to WDH? Maybe I'm missing something but for the foreseeable future only Airlink seems to fly JNB-WDH, to answer your questions:
1. Assuming bags are checked through, yes.
2. You don't specify what passport you are traveling with and whether you need a visa or simply getting a visa on arrival, what do tend to happen sometime with visa on arrival is that you will get 30/90 days on your first entry, and as long as the second entry falls within the same 30/90 days you will not get any extra days.
QR is showing a connection at JNB to a BA coded flight to WDH. Both BA and AA are showing award seats in June but I understand this may not be operating.

U.S. Passport. I was understanding entry rules only permitted one entry before returning to the home country. So, can I get a 90 day that allows multiple entries if I want to visit neighboring countries and return to SA?
Old Feb 14, 2021, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
QR is showing a connection at JNB to a BA coded flight to WDH. Both BA and AA are showing award seats in June but I understand this may not be operating.

U.S. Passport. I was understanding entry rules only permitted one entry before returning to the home country. So, can I get a 90 day that allows multiple entries if I want to visit neighboring countries and return to SA?
OK BA makes more sense, I guess it remains to be seen whether they actually resume their flights in June, albeit by that time the direct DOH-WDH flight is also available for booking for $$
And I never heard of such a rule, you won't be the first nor the last tourist visiting SA and neighbouring countries in such manner, land borders tend to be a bit more painful to avoid "visa runs" but even then as long as you are within the validity of your first visa and have a legitimate reason to enter (including onward ticket, hotel bookings etc in the very rare occasion they will ask for it) I really don't see any issue, assuming nothing changes until June you'll also need a negative PCR test and fill up an arrival form but that's about it.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 9:01 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I don't know when tkelvin69 is flying from WDH to JNB, but Comair (BA) starts daily service the beginning of March. At least that is what the schedule loaded online indicates.

If there are issues with Comair, is 4Z an option? It may present issues checking your bags through JNB.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I don't know when tkelvin69 is flying from WDH to JNB, but Comair (BA) starts daily service the beginning of March. At least that is what the schedule loaded online indicates.

If there are issues with Comair, is 4Z an option? It may present issues checking your bags through JNB.
I don't know about which schedule is loaded, but you can't book them until 1st of June on BA website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.