Reload this Page >

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by Ditto
I don't think anyone knows what the restrictions would look like in March, at best "rumours" will pop up couple of days before the official announcement/regulations.
Yeah , looking at the way things are going at the moment situation seems to be improving quite a bit ... clearly got some way further to go, but the more dire predictions from a month ago don't seem to be coming true thankfully ! ... If this trend is sustained then I can't imagine the alcohol ban will persist into March, but nobody is going to know for sure.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 12:40 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by bigbadjoe
Anyone heard when the alcohol ban in South Africa will be lifted or reviewed?
We are trying to get out to SA to assess and attend to my aged mother's care needs and have postponed our trip twice now due to high infection levels here and in SA. Where my mother lives (Knysna) the number of infections have been dropping significantly in the last week or so which is hopeful and we currently have our departure date set at 17th March. We have all the ducks in a row (Battleface Insurance, booked pre departure PCR tests, located PCR testing in SA, staying in private rented accommodation, masks, gloves, etc.). It just won't be much fun being in SA without a Klippies & Coke! Already planning to take a "medicinal" bottle of gin in the suitcase.
I believe it's supposed to be reviewed Feb 15th. Whether it'll be lifted or not is anyone's guess.

Keep in mind you can legally bring in 2 bottles of wine and one bottle of hard alcohol. Not as nice as getting a drink at a restaurant, but it's an option.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 12:41 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Skywards Gold, BAEC Silver, SAA Voyager
Originally Posted by bigbadjoe
Anyone heard when the alcohol ban in South Africa will be lifted or reviewed?
We are trying to get out to SA to assess and attend to my aged mother's care needs and have postponed our trip twice now due to high infection levels here and in SA. Where my mother lives (Knysna) the number of infections have been dropping significantly in the last week or so which is hopeful and we currently have our departure date set at 17th March. We have all the ducks in a row (Battleface Insurance, booked pre departure PCR tests, located PCR testing in SA, staying in private rented accommodation, masks, gloves, etc.). It just won't be much fun being in SA without a Klippies & Coke! Already planning to take a "medicinal" bottle of gin in the suitcase.
Who is doing your pre-departure PCR test if you don’t mind me asking? I have just rearranged my RSA trip to departure on 28 March. Originally, I was going on. 14 January and had a PCR test booked with Harley Street Clinic in London.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by skaballet
I believe it's supposed to be reviewed Feb 15th. Whether it'll be lifted or not is anyone's guess.

Keep in mind you can legally bring in 2 bottles of wine and one bottle of hard alcohol. Not as nice as getting a drink at a restaurant, but it's an option.
While as far as SARS (tax office) are concerned that might be true, it is currently prohibited to transport liquor.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by tgsh2006
Who is doing your pre-departure PCR test if you don’t mind me asking? I have just rearranged my RSA trip to departure on 28 March. Originally, I was going on. 14 January and had a PCR test booked with Harley Street Clinic in London.
Will be booking with Collinson Group as soon as the booking windows opens (T-14 days). Although we will be departing from LHR, there is a Collinson testing station at Stansted which is just down the road, easy to get to for me. PCR test for £99, results "within 48 hours".
Old Jan 19, 2021, 12:46 am

While as far as SARS (tax office) are concerned that might be true, it is currently prohibited to transport liquor.
That is why I will be packing my "Vitamin G" in my suitcase. Duty free carrier bags will be too obvious plus I am not aware of what the DF shopping will be like at T5 (if it exists at all).
Old Jan 21, 2021, 12:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Looks like the Western Cape Govt is pushing for a return to how it was in December basically - https://www.timeslive.co.za/politics...s-urges-winde/ ... I imagine they won't be the only ones over the next while .. I'd be fairly surprised you wouldn't be able to have a drink in March unless the virus situation takes a dramatic turn for the worse.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 4:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
Well, options to travel to/from SA just got a little more limited.

Emirates Temporary Suspension
https://www.tourismupdate.co.za/arti...nds-sa-flights

KLM suspends weekend flights and requires more testing.
https://www.tourismupdate.co.za/arti...eekend-flights
"passengers from South Africa [and IRL and UK] need to have the following to travel to or via The Netherlands:
A negative rapid test (antigen test);
A negative PCR test that has been taken within 72 hours before arrival in The Netherlands. (NHS tests from the UK are not permitted);
A signed and printed test declaration;
Passengers are also strongly advised to go into quarantine for 10 days after arrival in The Netherlands and to only travel when it is essential."
The Netherlands has now imposed a travel ban on SA flights for 1 month from 00:01hrs Saturday 23rd January.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, SAA Gold, Virgin Gold, Expedia Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
The Netherlands has now imposed a travel ban on SA flights for 1 month from 00:01hrs Saturday 23rd January.
It looks like they've cancelled ALL long haul and UK flights from Friday. You will not find this information on the "up to date" and "latest updates" sections of their website. They'll happily take your money for a flight that they know they're not operating I imagine.
CoolCanuck54 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by fishz
It looks like they've cancelled ALL long haul and UK flights from Friday. You will not find this information on the "up to date" and "latest updates" sections of their website. They'll happily take your money for a flight that they know they're not operating I imagine.
They haven't (yet) as they are still trying to negotiate an exemption for crews with the government, let's not make this a KLM thread though, plenty of those available in the KLM sub-forum.
Desirees likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 5:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Biden administration is planning to ban most non-US citizens entry if coming in from SA. I am still optimistic on our plans. May is still 3 full months away - and I will not make a decision until probably end of March.
vbnet likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 11:57 pm

The US ban on PAX coming from the EU has been there for almost a year now, I doubt it will be removed any time soon.
That being said, if you're a US resident surely you will be allowed to go back?
Old Jan 25, 2021, 7:40 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by Desirees
Biden administration is planning to ban most non-US citizens entry if coming in from SA. I am still optimistic on our plans. May is still 3 full months away - and I will not make a decision until probably end of March.
The US ban on PAX coming from the EU has been there for almost a year now, I doubt it will be removed any time soon.
That being said, if you're a US resident surely you will be allowed to go back?
I don't see anything official from the CDC yet; that will probably come this week. Here are a couple articles about the Biden administration's plans.
Reuters - Exclusive: Biden to impose South Africa travel ban to combat new COVID-19 variant - CDC
NPR - Biden To Implement Travel Restrictions To Combat New Coronavirus Variants

It sounds like the restrictions that had been placed on travelers from the EU and UK to the US (these were actually lifted 18 Jan but will be re-instated this week) are being extended to South Africa as well. For returning US citizens, I expect there will be instructions to self-quarantine at home but don't see anything like a hotel quarantine happening.

Of course the other side of this is how it affects airline service, particularly if you're trying to fly one of the US-SA nonstops on UA or DL.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 8:12 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by mattp1987
I don't see anything official from the CDC yet; that will probably come this week. Here are a couple articles about the Biden administration's plans.
Reuters - Exclusive: Biden to impose South Africa travel ban to combat new COVID-19 variant - CDC
NPR - Biden To Implement Travel Restrictions To Combat New Coronavirus Variants

It sounds like the restrictions that had been placed on travelers from the EU and UK to the US (these were actually lifted 18 Jan but will be re-instated this week) are being extended to South Africa as well. For returning US citizens, I expect there will be instructions to self-quarantine at home but don't see anything like a hotel quarantine happening.

Of course the other side of this is how it affects airline service, particularly if you're trying to fly one of the US-SA nonstops on UA or DL.
+1

Also, I see the recent Seychelles policy change as a potential prototype for a new set of admittance policies going forward. We may see several countries with exceptions for travelers who are documented as being vaccinated along with some sort of recent covid-19 test.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3.5MM), UA Premier, Hertz President's Circle, Marriott
South Africa - PCR test requirement, doctor's signature

Heading to South Africa next month. I can get a one day PCR test from UCLA Health, but the results will come directly to my UCLA App on my phone. It shows the doctor who ordered the test etc. etc. but NO SIGNATURE. Are they that strict in requiring a SIGNAURE as listed on some websites?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.