Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2021, 9:24 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Ditto
I don't know about which schedule is loaded, but you can't book them until 1st of June on BA website.
I didn't try to book it. Just displayed the timetable loaded in the GDS.

You are correct, when I try to find a price for flying BA between WDH and JNB, I don't see a fare until June 1. And starting June 1 BA flies only 1x daily. It looks like 4Z flies 3x daily.
Ditto likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 10:29 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by Ditto
the direct DOH-WDH flight is also available for booking for $$
Yes, the non stop is available for purchase at a steal of $5,000 usd in business 😮. 4Z doesn’t appear to be available using OW miles.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 11:39 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Yes, the non stop is available for purchase at a steal of $5,000 usd in business 😮. 4Z doesn’t appear to be available using OW miles.
4Z was originally part of the SAA family. It split off a couple of years ago and is not associated with any alliance. You can't use *A miles/points either. I've flown them a bit as they are basically the only carrier between JNB/CPT and the Kruger Park airports.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 11:34 am

For anyone thinking of flying JNG to Madagascar with Airlink:

Airlink regrets to announce the further suspension of its service between Johannesburg and Nosy Be, Madagascar, up until 27 June 2021. Unfortunately despite multiple efforts from the lodges on Nosy Be, the Nosy Be Tourism Authority and Ravinala Airports, we have to date been unable to obtain certainty as to when Madagascar intends to reopen its borders for regional travel.

Airlink News
Old Feb 18, 2021, 7:25 am

Qatar is reportedly increasing flights to SA

Qatar is reportedly increasing flights to SA

https://umhambi.blogspot.com/2021/02...lights-to.html

18 February 2021
Qatar Airways increases flights to South Africa!
The state-owned flag carrier of Qatar, Qatar Airways, is set to increase flight frequencies to Cape Town, Durban and Johannesburg. By March 2021, the airline will operate 28 weekly flights between its main hub Hamad International Airport (DOH) in Doha and South Africa. Qatar Airways announced that Cape Town will increase to seven weekly flights from 01 March 2021, while return flights Durban increased to three weekly flights on 14 February 2021 and return flights to Johannesburg already increased to 18 weekly flights from 26 January 2021.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 3:17 pm

KLM Partially Back, SAA ... Not So Much

KLM is coming back online - with limitations
https://www.tourismupdate.co.za/article/klm-returns-sa

This article (IMHO) somewhat doesn't jibe with the headline
https://www.tourismupdate.co.za/article/saa-fly-may
I've cross posted in the SAA thread about it. Bottom line, I wouldn't be booking SAA anytime soon.
Indeed, while the "positive"/"good news" article is below, this https://umhambi.blogspot.com/2021/02...ts-before.html tends to more clearly lay out the bad situation.

Last edited by jsnydcsa; Feb 19, 2021 at 3:21 pm Reason: Create Title
Old Feb 22, 2021, 8:31 am

Programs: AA L.T. Plat; UA Platinum
Makes me cautiously-optimistic about my June 24 SA trip. Except for the fact that I'd be coming from Uganda and then from SA to Zambia. Not worried about COVID testing in SA since the resort where I'm staying offers PCR collection and sending sample to JNB for analysis. But getting tested in Uganda in time for late-night June 23 departure might be an issue based on itinerary. But who knows what the testing situation will be in June.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 4:54 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by nsoltz
Makes me cautiously-optimistic about my June 24 SA trip. Except for the fact that I'd be coming from Uganda and then from SA to Zambia. Not worried about COVID testing in SA since the resort where I'm staying offers PCR collection and sending sample to JNB for analysis. But getting tested in Uganda in time for late-night June 23 departure might be an issue based on itinerary. But who knows what the testing situation will be in June.

Same issue here! I've asked this question and not found the answer - We are traveling from Windhoek to Doha on Qatar and will be transiting via JNB. Our final destination is Seattle, USA. The USA requires only a rapid antigen test for entry. Is a COVID PCR test REQUIRED for passengers with airside transits through JNB with tickets onward to DOH the same day? JNB airport info says the transit requirements are dependent on the final destination, but our agent and the airlines say that PCR is mandatory to transit JNB.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 8:22 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by QT31415
Same issue here! I've asked this question and not found the answer - We are traveling from Windhoek to Doha on Qatar and will be transiting via JNB. Our final destination is Seattle, USA. The USA requires only a rapid antigen test for entry. Is a COVID PCR test REQUIRED for passengers with airside transits through JNB with tickets onward to DOH the same day? JNB airport info says the transit requirements are dependent on the final destination, but our agent and the airlines say that PCR is mandatory to transit JNB.
You might want to check your WDH-JNB flights as I believe airlink is the only airline currently flying that route and QR isn’t on the schedule for WDH-DOH.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
You might want to check your WDH-JNB flights as I believe airlink is the only airline currently flying that route and QR isn’t on the schedule for WDH-DOH.
Correct, to clarify, Airlink from WDH to JNB, transit (do I need a PCR Covid test here!) then JNB-DOH on QR.

PCR COVID test has a 72 hr turnaround in windhoek, rapid has a 24 hr turnaround. USA only requires a rapid, but our agent says I need a PCR to transit JNB airport, even if only airside transit. JNB airport says (very unclearly) that transit requirements depend on the destination city,
Old Mar 4, 2021, 12:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
You are required to have a negative PCR test to transit in South Africa. The wording was put into the gazette on Air travel, Pat (p) in the following link. If you want a definitive you have to download each of the gazettes (legal statutes) in turn and see where bits have been replaced or added to which is a pain, but it is clear anyone who arrives (transiting or entering SA) must have a negative PCR to board the flight.

https://www.gov.za/covid-19/individu...virus-covid-19
QT31415 and fishz like this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 12:28 pm

FWIW. Booked UA, from US to SA, for December holidays. No issues with booking via united.com - no complaints or hiccups with flight availability, etc. Covid shot (J&J) pending (touch wood) in the next week or so.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by konagirl2
You are required to have a negative PCR test to transit in South Africa. The wording was put into the gazette on Air travel, Pat (p) in the following link. If you want a definitive you have to download each of the gazettes (legal statutes) in turn and see where bits have been replaced or added to which is a pain, but it is clear anyone who arrives (transiting or entering SA) must have a negative PCR to board the flight.

https://www.gov.za/covid-19/individu...virus-covid-19
Thanks for the link! Helpful, but STILL it says in at least four places "(i) must be in possession of a valid negative PCR test certificate OR a valid negative COVID-19 test certificate, obtained not more than 72 hours before the date of travel, from an accredited laboratory"

That give TWO options - a PCR certificate OR a valid negative Covid-19 certificate (which possibly could be a LAMP or Rapid Antigen)? Its a big fuss, because a 3 day wait for a PCR result vs a 2-4 hr wait for a rapid antigen test can make a huge difference in a tight safari schedule. In our case, we will be in the hoanib desert 72 hrs prior to our flight departure, and would have to fly in a nurse for testing or spend 3 extra days in Windhoek prior to transiting JNB to return to the states. Currently we are erring towards the side of caution, and planning to do the testing in camp 3 days prior, but believe me, it's not inexpensive.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 5:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
If you check TIMATIC with a connection in SA, it says (https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/pas...quirements.htm ):

"Passport South Africa

Warning:

Passengers entering or transiting through South Africa must have a medical certificate with a negative Coronavirus (COVID-19) PCR test result issued at most 72 hours before departure from the first embarkation point.

Passengers in transit are subject to a check by immigration. ..."

I wonder if the 'valid negative COVID-19 test' in the legal documents they are meaning if have had coronavirus and have recovered? Of course things might change by June.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by QT31415
Thanks for the link! Helpful, but STILL it says in at least four places "(i) must be in possession of a valid negative PCR test certificate OR a valid negative COVID-19 test certificate, obtained not more than 72 hours before the date of travel, from an accredited laboratory"

That give TWO options - a PCR certificate OR a valid negative Covid-19 certificate (which possibly could be a LAMP or Rapid Antigen)? Its a big fuss, because a 3 day wait for a PCR result vs a 2-4 hr wait for a rapid antigen test can make a huge difference in a tight safari schedule. In our case, we will be in the hoanib desert 72 hrs prior to our flight departure, and would have to fly in a nurse for testing or spend 3 extra days in Windhoek prior to transiting JNB to return to the states. Currently we are erring towards the side of caution, and planning to do the testing in camp 3 days prior, but believe me, it's not inexpensive.
This version of the text has been there for ages, your only option is to check with the airline as ultimately it is up to them, since both timatic and traveldoc explicitly say PCR, I doubt you will get a different answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.