South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2021, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PP, Bonvoy Titanium
I'm due to leave in 5 days, so I need to figure out pretty quick how the new restrictions will affect tourism to Kruger.

"There will be no limits on transit or commercial travel"

Is transiting through JNB, but on a separate PNR included in transit? Are Airlink flights automatically commercial travel?

Going to be hard to get a definitive answer in the next few days

Last edited by poupre; Jun 27, 2021 at 6:21 pm
Old Jun 27, 2021, 6:51 pm

Programs: amex
Just flew mub-jnb-doh-lax. Not restrictions other than showing negative test results.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by poupre
I'm due to leave in 5 days, so I need to figure out pretty quick how the new restrictions will affect tourism to Kruger.

Is transiting through JNB, but on a separate PNR included in transit? Are Airlink flights automatically commercial travel?

Best of luck. I hope everything works out for you.
poupre likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by hanglevst
Just flew mub-jnb-doh-lax. Not restrictions other than showing negative test results.
New restrictions in SA go in place tomorrow. A bit of confusion about what, if any, transit restrictions will be implemented.
LETTERBOY and poupre like this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 1:14 am

I am heading over on 15th July to visit the Kruger and hopefully the level 4 restrictions are not carried over beyond the 11th July.

My interpretation is -
If I fly to JNB and pick up a hire car to drive to the Kruger, then I am in breach as no leisure travel is permitted to or from Gauteng. Driving would require crossing the provincial border from Gauteng to Mpumalanga or Limpopo.

However, transit through airports is allowed.
If I fly to JNB and then onto Nelspruit and pick up a hire car there, then I am not in breach as Nelspruit is in Mpumalanga and there is no restrictions on travel to or from that province. Similarly, flying to Hoedspruit as that is in Limpopo.

Your and others interpretation may differ.

Originally Posted by poupre

Official rules now published

https://www.gov.za/sites/default/fil...EY2BzjhhmB-hIo

Regs say ‘transiting through Gauteng’ is allowed no distinction made between air travel and road travel.

https://www.tourismupdate.co.za/arti...-4-regulations

Therefore, to prevent the spread of infections, Gauteng residents have been restricted from travelling. However, travellers from other provinces in SA, from the rest of Africa and internationally, may still transit through Gauteng and through OR Tambo International Airport,” said Tshivhengwa.

“As far as this is concerned, should they need to stay in a hotel or any other formal accommodation facility while in transit, this will be permitted,” he clarified, adding that it was advisable for travellers to carry their itinerary as well as their air ticket and possible booking details for their visit in another province along with them.
poupre likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Sep 9, 2021 at 3:07 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 28, 2021, 11:06 am

For what it is worth, I just heard from our safari operator. Because we are travel through Johannesburg, not touring, we are allowed to stop over on the way to Maun.
poupre and hoseks like this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 11:30 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Lovethecabin
For what it is worth, I just heard from our safari operator. Because we are travel through Johannesburg, not touring, we are allowed to stop over on the way to Maun.
Does this include an overnight stopover in Joburg?
Old Jun 28, 2021, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by hoseks
Does this include an overnight stopover in Joburg?

Yes it does but we (by prior choice) are not leaving the hotel. The operator says since we have no touring plans, we are considered transit.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 12:58 pm

This is very helpful. We had no plans to tour either, but because we arrive late into JNB there were no outbound flight options to CPT. We are booked for the night near the airport. I wonder how they'll allow us to be processed the next morning. I'm hopeful the gazette guidance will be updated to be clear about overnights. Fingers crossed!
Old Jun 28, 2021, 8:12 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Due to fly into CPT for 8 days on July 21.

Fingers crossed these restrictions don't carry over past July 11. Sure cutting it close though. :/
Old Jun 29, 2021, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by jeffers
Due to fly into CPT for 8 days on July 21.

Fingers crossed these restrictions don't carry over past July 11. Sure cutting it close though. :/
We're due to land on July 11! Lots of debate now on what to do... 9 nights safari/3 in CPT. Per our safari company, other than no alcohol, rest of the lodge time would be more or less the same (perhaps with a bit more spacing for dinner guests). If numbers hold flat (or, fingers crossed, begin to decline), we're hopeful the restrictions might be modified a bit... or at the very least, not get more strict.

Going to CPT might still be at risk if the lockdowns hold, since so much would be closed or unavailable, so in that scenario we might try to get flights home after the safari.

As a back-up, we're exploring moving everything over to Tanzania, which seems crazy to plan in a week!
Old Jun 29, 2021, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by dave_261
We're due to land on July 11! Lots of debate now on what to do... 9 nights safari/3 in CPT. Per our safari company, other than no alcohol, rest of the lodge time would be more or less the same (perhaps with a bit more spacing for dinner guests). If numbers hold flat (or, fingers crossed, begin to decline), we're hopeful the restrictions might be modified a bit... or at the very least, not get more strict.

Going to CPT might still be at risk if the lockdowns hold, since so much would be closed or unavailable, so in that scenario we might try to get flights home after the safari.

As a back-up, we're exploring moving everything over to Tanzania, which seems crazy to plan in a week!
Good luck with everything...you got unlucky with the dates there.

I will be keeping an eye on cases with a view to Level 3 coming back after July 11.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 7:15 am

We're now erring on the side of no with this. Many people seem of the opinion that the restrictions will extend past July 11.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 10:22 am

We are going to brave it. Everyone on the ground in SA has told us not to cancel, and we are willing to work around the restrictions. Fingers crossed it all works out! I just can't stomach cancelling 2 years in a row.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 12:49 pm

I am planning to arrive in JNB on 9 July at 5.45p (via Newark) and am unable to find a flight to Botswana until the next morning. I'm glad to hear safari operators say an overnight stay is permitted but am still nervous. If anyone can post their firsthand experiences of this, I would appreciate it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.