South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2021, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I always put together 2 or 3 complete document packages with the local entry form/passenger declaration/whatever, test results, etc. And in both cases, the check in agent took a quick scan of it and on arrival immigration either never asked for it or just took a cursory look at it (at best).
For years, Mrs. jsnydcsa - who was in the throes of all sorts of back and forth with US CIS (or whatever it was called back then) - and I carried a three ring binder with multiple copies of every back and forth between ever agency, every step, etc. etc. It was VERY helpful on our periodic returns to the States.

But I think this is the best way to approach it. Better to be a bit overprepared as opposed to running in to a overzealous agent, immigration officer, etc and have less than what is being requested.
But, be careful, we had some agents abroad (outside the USA) who took this as "smug" on our part in a DYKWIA-sort-of attitude that they felt we were exhibiting b/c we were "too prepared."
Old Sep 16, 2021, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
But, be careful, we had some agents abroad (outside the USA) who took this as "smug" on our part in a DYKWIA-sort-of attitude that they felt we were exhibiting b/c we were "too prepared."
I never make any sort of show with all the documentation. I usually have either a small soft sided folder or letter size manila envelope with all the doc in it.

I produce whatever I am asked to produce. Nothing more, nothing less. So far no issues. Fingers crossed.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 9:00 pm

Just landed in JNB- NO PCR check

Literally off the qr flight into Jnb 30 minutes ago. NO PCR check and JNB. Only a quick temp scan and you hand them the entry form. Now sitting at fed air waiting for flight to the bush. Getting easier and easier. I asked why they don’t look at test results anymore and they say they count on airlines to do it. Last time when I flew to jnb in December ‘20 they scanned tests primarily for the 72 hour window. Flying on qr from Chicago was simple. 5 second glance at test result and off to klm lounge.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
Literally off the qr flight into Jnb 30 minutes ago. NO PCR check and JNB. Only a quick temp scan and you hand them the entry form. Now sitting at fed air waiting for flight to the bush. Getting easier and easier. I asked why they don’t look at test results anymore and they say they count on airlines to do it. Last time when I flew to jnb in December ‘20 they scanned tests primarily for the 72 hour window. Flying on qr from Chicago was simple. 5 second glance at test result and off to klm lounge.
That was effectively our experience last June.

A bit off topic, I think the FedAir lounge is the best lounge at JNB currently. In June you could sit outside and as long as there was enough distance between other people, you could go mask free.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:17 pm

That was effectively our experience last June.

A bit off topic, I think the FedAir lounge is the best lounge at JNB currently. In June you could sit outside and as long as there was enough distance between other people, you could go mask free.
agreed. With getting there at 4a they have an early arrival program that let us into the lounge and have us the private room to the right of the main area. Nice shower, and a nice buffet set up for us. Very nice way to end 48 hours of go.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 2:17 am

Latest UK travel updates

So South Africa missed out again, felt sure we were off and running there, even got PCR tested and held 2 flights to Joburg expecting to leave today ..any news on reasons why or when SA will open up ??
Old Sep 18, 2021, 6:00 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by stuarto
So South Africa missed out again, felt sure we were off and running there, even got PCR tested and held 2 flights to Joburg expecting to leave today ..any news on reasons why or when SA will open up ??
Although I too was hoping that SA would come off whatever colour the 'new list' is going to be, it was hope, not expectation. The process of deciding this 'protecting public health' seems more obscure then is suggested (case rates, percentage positive tests etc).
But there are now several options to avoid the dreaded quarantaine hotel and - assuming that SA will stay on the 'list' until mid November when I plan to return to the UK - I will probably take shelter in either Austria or The Netherlands for 10 days. For 2 people significantly cheaper and infinitely more palatable than the Heathrow Radisson....
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 8:20 am

South Africa has recently gone from Level 3 to Level 2. They are opening up both internally and to foreign tourists. We went last June and the people were very happy to see tourists and we had a wonderful time. The issue you are facing is the UK government (and its perception of what is going on internally in ZA).
Old Sep 18, 2021, 11:14 am

I’m sitting here In my safari lodge in sabi sands. Za seems very eager to let people, and more importantly, their money back in.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Although I too was hoping that SA would come off whatever colour the 'new list' is going to be, it was hope, not expectation. The process of deciding this 'protecting public health' seems more obscure then is suggested (case rates, percentage positive tests etc).
But there are now several options to avoid the dreaded quarantaine hotel and - assuming that SA will stay on the 'list' until mid November when I plan to return to the UK - I will probably take shelter in either Austria or The Netherlands for 10 days. For 2 people significantly cheaper and infinitely more palatable than the Heathrow Radisson....
We were thinking along same lines, maybe take motorhome to Ireland and park up , then return from CPT and tour for 10 days ..
Old Sep 19, 2021, 1:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, SAA Gold, Virgin Gold, Expedia Gold, Accor Silver
We were thinking along same lines, maybe take motorhome to Ireland and park up , then return from CPT and tour for 10 days ..
That sounds like a good plan! I'm in Durban right now and planning to head to the South of France in a couple of weeks to spend 10/11 nights before returning to London.

Not convinced that this improves UK public health but it complies with whatever political statement is being made.
thijsseh likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
This is encouraging!!
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 6:31 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
SOrry for what is probably a stupid question, but I'm flying to JNB from IAD in a couple weeks. The PCR test has to be within 72 hours of my IAD-DOH leg, as I'm only transiting Doha and not leaving the airport, correct? My trip is 40 hours including layovers so this gets appreciably harder (but not impossible) if I've got if testing before departure means the DOH-JNB leg rather than the first leg.

Thanks for any data points/advice.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by dcstudent
SOrry for what is probably a stupid question, but I'm flying to JNB from IAD in a couple weeks. The PCR test has to be within 72 hours of my IAD-DOH leg, as I'm only transiting Doha and not leaving the airport, correct? My trip is 40 hours including layovers so this gets appreciably harder (but not impossible) if I've got if testing before departure means the DOH-JNB leg rather than the first leg.

Thanks for any data points/advice.
As long as you are on a single ticket, meaning you purchased the trip as IAD-DOH-JNB as a single trip/award and not as two different purchases (IAD-DOH and then DOH-JNB), you need to have the sample taken for your PCR test taken less than 72 hours form the scheduled departure out of IAD.

It sounds like you have a long layover in DOH. You may want to look at getting a room in the Oryx hotel (airside at the DOH airport ... nice but pricey), or go through the hassle of getting a tourist visa at the airport so you can go into the city. You can find all the details on both of these topics in the Qatar forum here on FT.
dcstudent likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by thijsseh
The Brit High Commission provided this statement this week, following a meeting with scientists. Now that Ireland has also stopped the red list and the hotel quarantiine, etc, it seems incredible that the UK will continue with it, esp following said meeting. That said, stranger things have happened!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.