Reload this Page >

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2021, 3:22 am

Yesterday (or was it Tuesday?) they announced going back to level 3 which includes a (further) limit on gatherings, sale of alcohol in stores to be only Monday to Thursday during the day and curfew is now from 10PM.
If this helps we will know a lot before the end of July, otherwise I expect that further restrictions will be introduced in early July, so better check again in ~3 weeks.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 3:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Originally Posted by jeffers
We're supposed to be in Cape Town for 8 days, July 21-29.

Looks like a third wave/spike of COVID is occuring in RSA. We're up in the air whether to change our plans, what do you guys think? It's almost certain to be the top of a peak at the time we're there. What were the restrictions on movement etc during the last covid peak?
II was hoping to be there 11-21st August, whilst I'm crossing my fingers I am expecting a cancellation, the main question being whether it's by me or the airline...
Old Jun 17, 2021, 9:45 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by drwook
II was hoping to be there 11-21st August, whilst I'm crossing my fingers I am expecting a cancellation, the main question being whether it's by me or the airline...
Seems likely that the border would remain open, it's just restrictions on what you can do whilst there. Not to mention turning up as a tourist during a pandemic...not sure what to do as we need to make a decision very soon in order to secure something else.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 12:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Yeah I suspect it'd take a lot for SA to close the border, but risk/situation seems "sub-optimal". Plus I'm in UK; unless situation changed it'd be 10 days mandatory hotel room quarantine on the way back, which just isn't something I'm willing to do.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 4:23 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by drwook
Yeah I suspect it'd take a lot for SA to close the border, but risk/situation seems "sub-optimal". Plus I'm in UK; unless situation changed it'd be 10 days mandatory hotel room quarantine on the way back, which just isn't something I'm willing to do.
I agree with your take on this. Unlikely that they'll close the border, too devastating for tourism. For now (from what I hear from family, I'm in the UK myself) life goes on more or less as 'normal', especially for tourists (bear in mind that with the new curfew restaurants will close an hour earlier), which includes wearing face masks EVERYWHERE, ie also outside (not in your hotel room).
The caveat is that the SA government has been known to put strange restrictions in place without much (or any) prior notice. So one may get caught.
tgsh2006 and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EP
Hello All -

all set to travel from the US to JNB (connecting in DOH) ans then continuing on Comair down to CPT.

I don’t know if I am imagining something or read it somewhere, but arrivals into JNB isn’t there an ELECTRONIC version of the THQ (traveler health questionnaire) that you have to use? I see some links for it but the links all are dead (server cannot be found). I can easily download a PDF. But just wondering if it’s a requirement for JNB for an electronic TQH / they have given up on an electronic THQ version?

many thanks!
Old Jun 24, 2021, 8:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PP, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Hello All -

all set to travel from the US to JNB (connecting in DOH) ans then continuing on Comair down to CPT.

I don’t know if I am imagining something or read it somewhere, but arrivals into JNB isn’t there an ELECTRONIC version of the THQ (traveler health questionnaire) that you have to use? I see some links for it but the links all are dead (server cannot be found). I can easily download a PDF. But just wondering if it’s a requirement for JNB for an electronic TQH / they have given up on an electronic THQ version?

many thanks!
My agent confirmed the link was down. Apparently paper forms will be given out on the plane
Old Jun 25, 2021, 12:50 am

see this kink https://www.tourismupdate.co.za/arti...still-possible

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Hello All -

many thanks!
Old Jun 25, 2021, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by poupre
My agent confirmed the link was down. Apparently paper forms will be given out on the plane
I'm in SA now and when we arrived and made our way to immigration…I had my code ready to go but the gal checking the forms wanted nothing to do with my code…she wanted to see the hard copy that was handed out on the plane…fortunately I had filled it out as well and handed it to her. My advice is to have both.
AAExecPlatFlier likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 6:47 am

Many thanks! Let’s hope QR has “gotten the memo”

Originally Posted by acucobol
Old Jun 25, 2021, 6:47 am

Thank you!
Originally Posted by poupre
poupre likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 8:27 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Here is a link to an Airports Company South Africa website that has the entry and exit PDFs available for download.

I used these for our recent trip and if you have a Windows/Mac computer with the Acrobat Reader installed on it, you can fill it our and print it (then sign it of course).

https://www.airports.co.za/about-us/...sked-questions
konagirl2 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Lddove
I'm in SA now and when we arrived and made our way to immigration…I had my code ready to go but the gal checking the forms wanted nothing to do with my code…she wanted to see the hard copy that was handed out on the plane…fortunately I had filled it out as well and handed it to her. My advice is to have both.
Would love to hear how things are with current restrictions. Doesn't seem too bad. Will be there in 3 weeks.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel
Here is a link to an Airports Company South Africa website that has the entry and exit PDFs available for download.
When in transit (eg. PHL-DOH-CPT) I presume one puts PHL as the city travelling from on these forms?
Old Jun 25, 2021, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by jeffers
When in transit (eg. PHL-DOH-CPT) I presume one puts PHL as the city travelling from on these forms?
We flew ORD-DOH-JNB about 2 weeks ago. The QR agent at ORD check in was not interested in the SA entry form. I had copies made of both the SA entry form as well as the PCR test ressults.

Just to be on the safe side, have a couple of extra copies handy. You can always us the reverse side as note paper if they go unused.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.