Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2021, 8:43 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by hanglevst
Did the lodges do rapid tests or PCR? Thanks
Our lodge has some arrangement with Lancet and does a RT-PCR test. I can't speak for any other location though.

Last edited by cheltzel; Jun 10, 2021 at 8:48 am
Old Jun 10, 2021, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Back in the US now and I can provide some further insight from SA

Arrived into CPT from Victoria Falls. Airport was dead and we were out in no time. No issues at all in immigration. We did our covid test at our lodge in Livingstone Zambia and the results were accepted without a second look.

We then went for our covid test right at the airport. I believe it was administered by PathCare and the test tent was on the way to the parkade 2 exit. It was completely empty and we were finished in 5min. PCR test taken around 3PM and we had our results early next morning

Must say the airport covid tests offered at JNB and CPT were the cheapest and most convenient by far.

Leaving CPT on QR, we only showed our tests once at check in and then again at immigration. QR never checked it at the gate and US CBP didn't even ask.

All in all very pleased with our entry and exit in South Africa. Sad to have left so soon

​​​​​​
AAExecPlatFlier and konagirl2 like this.

Last edited by FlyingFrZ; Jun 10, 2021 at 6:18 pm
Old Jun 11, 2021, 3:41 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, Amex Platinum
It was Air France that denied boarding and said you needed a PCR test for exit or South African border control? So far as I know that is totally false and South Africa doesn't require an exit test. I'm concerned because I wasn't planning to do a test for exit since I can use my vaccination card for where I'm going (Spain). I also confirmed in a text message with the Dutch embassy that I could transit in AMS with only my vaccination card. And the US embassy just sent out a message saying you don't need a test to transit AMS only whatever is required by your final destination.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 10:10 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by skaballet
It was Air France that denied boarding and said you needed a PCR test for exit or South African border control? So far as I know that is totally false and South Africa doesn't require an exit test. I'm concerned because I wasn't planning to do a test for exit since I can use my vaccination card for where I'm going (Spain). I also confirmed in a text message with the Dutch embassy that I could transit in AMS with only my vaccination card. And the US embassy just sent out a message saying you don't need a test to transit AMS only whatever is required by your final destination.
Totally false? You reference the Dutch and U.S. embassy but not the governing body that might require an exit vaccination. I doubt embassies keep track of every country with covid rules. Come back when you get an answer from an official South African source.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
the governing body that might require an exit vaccination.
Is there any country anywhere that requires those leaving the country to be vaccinated?

Johan
Old Jun 11, 2021, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Is there any country anywhere that requires those leaving the country to be vaccinated?

Johan
My error. I meant negative covid test. If South Africa does indeed have such a requirement I think it is a very responsible position not to put positive people on planes.
johan rebel likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 6:06 pm

Programs: amex
The exit and entry forms, are they per family? Did a form for each kid? Thanks
Old Jun 13, 2021, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by hanglevst
The exit and entry forms, are they per family? Did a form for each kid? Thanks
We arrived about 4 days ago and did one form per person. Will do the same for exit.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 8:38 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

In case anyone is wondering, the charge for getting a PCR test (which allegedly is what both SA and Botswana require) at the lodge ranged from $275 to $340 per person. Yes, they have to bring in a nurse, but there is no discount for more than one person. This must be prepaid before arrival, according to Rhino tours.

In the case of the Kruger camp, since I have a rental car, I told the agent I would just drive to Skuzuza and back one day and get tested for $65. From our camp, google says the drive takes 1 hour and 44 minutes each way but the travel agent is currently saying that we can't take the route that goes through the park. I tend to disbelieve that, does anyone know?

Any insights? The Kruger camp is Singita Sweni and the Botswana camp is Kwetsani in the Delta.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Jun 14, 2021 at 12:35 am
Old Jun 14, 2021, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
In case anyone is wondering, the charge for getting a PCR test (which allegedly is what both SA and Botswana require) at the lodge ranged from $275 to $340 per person. Yes, they have to bring in a nurse, but there is no discount for more than one person. This must be prepaid before arrival, according to Rhino tours.

In the case of the Kruger camp, since I have a rental car, I told the agent I would just drive to Skuzuza and back one day and get tested for $65. From our camp, google says the drive takes 1 hour and 44 minutes each way but the travel agent is currently saying that we can't take the route that goes through the park. I tend to disbelieve that, does anyone know?

Any insights? The Kruger camp is Singita Sweni and the Botswana camp is Kwetsani in the Delta.
The charge at our camp (MalaMala) is less than half than most of your range. The test is a RT- PCR test done by Lancet in Skukuza.

I'll post back in a few days when I get the results to verify all this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 1:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
In the case of the Kruger camp, since I have a rental car, I told the agent I would just drive to Skuzuza and back one day and get tested for $65. ... but the travel agent is currently saying that we can't take the route that goes through the park. I tend to disbelieve that, does anyone know? ....
To get from Singita Sweni to Skukuza clinic, I thought that you pay the Kruger conservation fee as a Sweni guest because it is a concession? If you are self-driving there then you will be paying the conservation fee as an overnight guest in order to get through the gate / when you land at Skukuza, so no reason you can't drive through the park. The route from Sweni to Skukuza would take us more like 6 hours of driving each way, because there will be sightings, but near the speed limit you could probably do it around 2.5 hours each way allowing for a bit of slowing down for animals on the road but basically not stopping for anything (38 km of gravel where speed limit is 40 kph and then 55 km tarmac where speed limit is 50 kph; or 109 km of tarmac which would be preferable route imo). So you could risk missing your afternoon game drive, depending on the time of year / how early your morning drive gets back. You need to pre-book for a covid test at the doctors and you'll pay both the R850 test (lab) fee and a doctor's appointment fee per person there. I can't think of anywhere closer in time - it would equally take you 2 hours to get to Orpen gate (~90 km in a 50 kph speed limit) and another 1 hour to Hoedspruit town (~50 km on public roads) where there are labs (Ampath), so similar travelling time without any time to stop for animal sightings while in Kruger NP.
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 6:30 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by konagirl2
To get from Singita Sweni to Skukuza clinic, I thought that you pay the Kruger conservation fee as a Sweni guest because it is a concession? If you are self-driving there then you will be paying the conservation fee as an overnight guest in order to get through the gate / when you land at Skukuza, so no reason you can't drive through the park. The route from Sweni to Skukuza would take us more like 6 hours of driving each way, because there will be sightings, but near the speed limit you could probably do it around 2.5 hours each way allowing for a bit of slowing down for animals on the road but basically not stopping for anything (38 km of gravel where speed limit is 40 kph and then 55 km tarmac where speed limit is 50 kph; or 109 km of tarmac which would be preferable route imo). So you could risk missing your afternoon game drive, depending on the time of year / how early your morning drive gets back. You need to pre-book for a covid test at the doctors and you'll pay both the R850 test (lab) fee and a doctor's appointment fee per person there. I can't think of anywhere closer in time - it would equally take you 2 hours to get to Orpen gate (~90 km in a 50 kph speed limit) and another 1 hour to Hoedspruit town (~50 km on public roads) where there are labs (Ampath), so similar travelling time without any time to stop for animal sightings while in Kruger NP.
The pamphlet says there is a "tourism levy" not included in the rate but doesn't say how much. I assumed it was the normal Kruger park fee but will ask.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Yeah sorry I have never stayed in one of the concessions but I just assumed you have to pay the conservation fee like any other overnight visitor would. Having said that, when you enter the Kruger NP gate with an overnight reservation they issue you a permit but the fees are actually paid at the main camp (if you haven't paid before online). If it is a different levy for the concessions, then that could be why you aren't supposed to game drive your way around the National Park, but I am sure Singita can clarify for you.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
The charge at our camp (MalaMala) is less than half than most of your range. The test is a RT-PCR test done by Lancet in Skukuza.

I'll post back in a few days when I get the results to verify all this.
Update: The charge is ZAR 1500 or just under USD $110. The test is a saliva based RT-PCR. Results within 12 hours of the lab receiving the sample (approximately 14 - 15 hours after taking the sample).

I'll post another update when all this happens.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 6:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
We're supposed to be in Cape Town for 8 days, July 21-29.

Looks like a third wave/spike of COVID is occuring in RSA. We're up in the air whether to change our plans, what do you guys think? It's almost certain to be the top of a peak at the time we're there. What were the restrictions on movement etc during the last covid peak?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.