Reload this Page >

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2021, 12:36 pm

Can anyone give me some clarity on what the rules are if we fly to RSA through Europe from the USA? Is it going to be a problem if we have a layover in FRA? Looking to go in August. I'm nervous to book the South Africa side of things until I get the flights figured out.

Thanks
Old Apr 1, 2021, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
At the moment, no restrictions. Also no quarantine. Have just had a colleague come through (Lufthansa). You MUST have a RT-PCR, that was done less than 72 hours before departure. Note that the SA Port Health are not flexible, and do not accept antigen / LAMP or Rapid PCR. Have again confirmed that they ONLY accept RT-PCR. Must be done by a lab and signed. Also note that the country where you are due to transit may have its own rules, even for transit passengers. For example, Germany also requires an RT-PCR, but this may not be done more than 48 hours before departure. Its OK to use the same test, but suggest that you make a couple of copies. For both Germany and Switzerland, you have to follow their national rules regarding their Health entry forms, even if you are in transit.

At the moment, there are daily Star Alliance flights. 4x per week LH from FRA, and 3x per week with LX through ZRH. So maybe check that the day you arrive in FRA is the day of the LH flight (Nice B748), otherwise you'll have an additional connector to get to ZRH.

We are watching the uptick and third waves in Europe, but so far there has been no change in RSA policy. They need the tourism. No comment or requirement for vaccines, yet.

The only predictability in Covid is its unpredictability, and the only certainty remains the uncertainty.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by KenBoffard
They need the tourism.
Tourism is very much needed but so far not many tourists arrive.
Visiting some game reserves and only hearing English and Afrikaans where usually there is a mix of German, Dutch, French etc. is a weird experience. Also very little of that on domestic flights and pretty much anywhere else you'd expect to hear it.

If anyone wants a vacation in South Africa now is probably the perfect time to avoid crowds and enjoy it.
QT31415 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 1:26 pm

And the prices for some reason are extraordinarily reasonable.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 11:37 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles, SPG
Originally Posted by midwestspring
Can anyone give me some clarity on what the rules are if we fly to RSA through Europe from the USA? Is it going to be a problem if we have a layover in FRA? Looking to go in August. I'm nervous to book the South Africa side of things until I get the flights figured out.
if you break your travel with a layover that might change your testing validity window.

for example, if you left on Wednesday at 1pm from the US, then RSA’s testing policy says you need the test to have been done within 72 hours of that flight, or Sunday at 1pm. If you broke up that flight and did a layover then you’ve got a different 72 hour consideration. Say you landed in France on thursday and laid over and left on Friday for RSA, now you need a test done in France because you broke up your travel. I believe most countries will consider 72 hours from your original country departure if connecting but if you’re doing a layover then they may not accept that far back.

very much looking forward to our flight to RSA next month that we had to delay from last summer. LAX-DOH-JNB
Old Apr 4, 2021, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
There should be some consensus with the 72 hour limit to allow for the time change between countries.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 10:27 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles, SPG
True, I think in my head I was doing layover as synonymous with stopover vs a shorter connection. More thinking that if you’re breaking travel or leaving the passport control area you might be scrutinized different.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 12:06 am

They are however giving pretty broad leeway with regards to visas. I stayed 3.5 months and could have stayed for 2 additional months because they keep extending all visitors visas.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 12:16 am

Limited consensus, Germany and Sweden 48 hours. UK, RSA and most others 72 hours. Most, including
RSA it is within 72 hours of your ticketed (“non-stop”) flight departure. Transit is part of that. However, if you layover / stopover landside, at least for RSA, your PCR would have to be within 72 hours of the new departure time. Coming from US West coast, that may be cutting it fine.
esquimau and konagirl2 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 2:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by dwugson
There should be some consensus with the 72 hour limit to allow for the time change between countries.
I hope this doesn't come across rude but I don't really understand your issue with time zones. 72 hours is 72 hours. If you cross a time zone, that doesn't affect how long you have lived for. The SA rule is 72 hours from time of departure (on one through-ticket so allowing for a transit), so that is 72 hours in the time zone of the departing airport.

If you want to layover somewhere that needs a test within ## hours of arrival, then you could use google to ask what time the aircraft arrival time in that country is where you are now, then count back the appropriate number of hours. Or you may find it more intuitive to convert the time of arrival at the arrival airport to UTC (formerly Greenwich Mean Time), taken ## hours back and then convert that to your time zone as the earliest time you could take the test?
Old Apr 5, 2021, 8:19 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by konagirl2
I hope this doesn't come across rude but I don't really understand your issue with time zones. 72 hours is 72 hours. If you cross a time zone, that doesn't affect how long you have lived for. The SA rule is 72 hours from time of departure (on one through-ticket so allowing for a transit), so that is 72 hours in the time zone of the departing airport.

If you want to layover somewhere that needs a test within ## hours of arrival, then you could use google to ask what time the aircraft arrival time in that country is where you are now, then count back the appropriate number of hours. Or you may find it more intuitive to convert the time of arrival at the arrival airport to UTC (formerly Greenwich Mean Time), taken ## hours back and then convert that to your time zone as the earliest time you could take the test?
Granted, but you must remember that you may be dealing with an Official who has never left the Country, so has no concept of time difference. That is where the problem is. I may be shot down for for this - but at a 30% pass rate at high school, maths does not feature highly, so trying to get the Official to calculate time differences versus actual times may be an actual impossibility.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Granted, but you must remember that you may be dealing with an Official who has never left the Country, so has no concept of time difference. That is where the problem is. I may be shot down for for this - but at a 30% pass rate at high school, maths does not feature highly, so trying to get the Official to calculate time differences versus actual times may be an actual impossibility.
The 72 hours is much more likely to be enforced by the airlines and should be fairly easy to calculate as 99.9% of the cases the timezone on your test and the timezone of your departure will be the same.
I sincerely doubt the DOH officials upon entry check anything more than your name and look for the word "negative", I was never asked for anything showing my time of departure.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 10:15 am

Wholly agree with ditto
Old Apr 6, 2021, 3:25 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by KenBoffard
Wholly agree with ditto
As I mentioned in an earlier post, the last time I entered the Country, a temperature check was done, and that was it - no checking of my paperwork or anything. The Airline checked my paperwork. So, at least one check is done.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 7:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
If you traveled to SA from the US in the last couple of months...

Can you tell me where you got the test? We are flying out May 1 getting into CPT May 3 so we need to get the RT PCR done 72 hrs prior to departure. CVS or Walgreens is an option but the test they provide - does it have the medical providers name and signature? Or did you use another place to do the test? Thank you in advance for your replies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.