FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]
Old Apr 5, 2021, 8:19 am
roadwarrier

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by konagirl2
I hope this doesn't come across rude but I don't really understand your issue with time zones. 72 hours is 72 hours. If you cross a time zone, that doesn't affect how long you have lived for. The SA rule is 72 hours from time of departure (on one through-ticket so allowing for a transit), so that is 72 hours in the time zone of the departing airport.

If you want to layover somewhere that needs a test within ## hours of arrival, then you could use google to ask what time the aircraft arrival time in that country is where you are now, then count back the appropriate number of hours. Or you may find it more intuitive to convert the time of arrival at the arrival airport to UTC (formerly Greenwich Mean Time), taken ## hours back and then convert that to your time zone as the earliest time you could take the test?
Granted, but you must remember that you may be dealing with an Official who has never left the Country, so has no concept of time difference. That is where the problem is. I may be shot down for for this - but at a 30% pass rate at high school, maths does not feature highly, so trying to get the Official to calculate time differences versus actual times may be an actual impossibility.