South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2021, 10:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime, IHG Spire Elite
So curious, nsoltz--Are you still going to Uganda and South Africa in June? I'm supposed to be visiting both in early June as well and am feeling insecure with the cutting of internal flights, level 4 advisories etc. We're definitely trying to make it work. As for as your months old question, it does appear to be mostly PCR tests needed at this point. I'm personally only worried about a quarantine in Addis Ababa on connection, but other markets appear more flexible.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA L.T. Plat; UA Platinum
The plans are still on but with 3 countries-- Uganda, South Africa and Zambia I do have some concerns. The plan was to depart EBB for JNB on 6/23, overnight at airport, and then depart for Tswalu on their private plane early afternoon 6/24. That might be tight considering timing of flights and PCR results. There is a lab near EBB which is advertising 6 hour PCR results. Possibility of being stuck a day in EBB and cutting a day off Tswalu. Can take PCR test either at JNB or Tswalu offers sample collection. Timing less critical since Zambia (as of now) only requires negative PCR 7 days in advance of arrival. Might have departure from LUN delayed depending upon COVID testing requirements at the time. Hope that happens, in fact, since it would let me shoot down to Victoria Falls, which was not on the original itinerary. Was hoping to depart directly from LUN to TLV for a couple of weeks and then home. But that might be a bit much to coordinate. Yes... difficult time to travel but vaccinated as is my daughter who will be going just on the Uganda segment. Never a guarantee but feeling a bit more secure about it as we're three months from departure.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 6:50 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
For those of you going to SA from the US - where are you getting the Covid testing done with the doctors signature on it? Back in September I had to go to India due to an emergency and did the testing via CVS. Don’t remember a doctor’s signature in it. We don’t fly until early May but wanted to check here and see what everyone is doing or planning to do...
Old Mar 15, 2021, 7:42 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Desirees
For those of you going to SA from the US - where are you getting the Covid testing done with the doctors signature on it? Back in September I had to go to India due to an emergency and did the testing via CVS. Don’t remember a doctor’s signature in it. We don’t fly until early May but wanted to check here and see what everyone is doing or planning to do...
There is a lot of detail in this thread. One of which is the answer to your question.

In post #1039, Steve_ZA says:

The signature requirement was part of the original gazetted regulation and was subsequently removed when those regulations were revised. There isn't a "No signature required" statement in the updated regulations so some people may still give this advice not knowing that a change has been made.
There is also some discussion on South Africa's requirements on the QR forum.

COVID Test Requirements

So it seems that South Africa does not require a physician's signature nor does it require a RT-PCR test.

Personally, I would travel to South Africa without a physician signed document. But the real question is, what will the agent at the check in counter require? Also you will need to visit the SOuth African government website on this (the link has been posted in this thread) and make sure the requirements have not changed a week or two before your travel date, just to be sure.

We are going in early June and will use a local outpatient physicians urgent care practice. They operate using one of the rapid results PCR tests. We will get the results back in approximately 24 hours (48 hours max). This costs a little more than some (something like $20 - $30 more) but it includes a quick health profile (temperature, blood pressure, a full set of health Q&As, etc) along with a visit by a doctor. If you are negative, you will be given a document that includes the test result print out along with a summary letter signed by the examining doctor. And it is open 7 days a week and is 10-15 minutes from our residence and operates exclusively on appointments.

If you would feel more comfortable getting test results that include something signed by a healthcare professional, I would look for something similar near where you live.
Desirees likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 7:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by nsoltz
The plans are still on but with 3 countries-- Uganda, South Africa and Zambia I do have some concerns. The plan was to depart EBB for JNB on 6/23, overnight at airport, and then depart for Tswalu on their private plane early afternoon 6/24. That might be tight considering timing of flights and PCR results. There is a lab near EBB which is advertising 6 hour PCR results. Possibility of being stuck a day in EBB and cutting a day off Tswalu. Can take PCR test either at JNB or Tswalu offers sample collection. Timing less critical since Zambia (as of now) only requires negative PCR 7 days in advance of arrival. Might have departure from LUN delayed depending upon COVID testing requirements at the time. Hope that happens, in fact, since it would let me shoot down to Victoria Falls, which was not on the original itinerary. Was hoping to depart directly from LUN to TLV for a couple of weeks and then home. But that might be a bit much to coordinate. Yes... difficult time to travel but vaccinated as is my daughter who will be going just on the Uganda segment. Never a guarantee but feeling a bit more secure about it as we're three months from departure.
Abercrombie & Kent told me that in EBB, someone will come to the hotel in full PPE and provide a test in the hotel. If you're staying at Protea, might be worth calling them for details. I'm honestly unsure if A&K or Protea is making this test happen. We just swapped around our itinerary, doing EBB first for gorilla trekking to ensure the least risk of picking up COVID on the way. We are still planning to do S. Africa after, though. Also cut a couple countries out unfortunately. Hoping testing requirements for vaccinated travelers lessen and testing availability for all travelers improves.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
PCR

For RSA: Just to emphasise that if you are arriving by air, you need an RT-PCR. They do NOT routinely accept Antigen /Antibody / LAMP / Rapid PCR. The airlines know this, and chances are you will be denied boarding if you do not have an RT-PCR, taken no more than 72 hours of boarding your ticketed flight to RSA. NB therefore if you have a separate flight to your departure airport it doesn’t count, as only the time of your actual ticketed original departure flight to RSA, counts (transit is fine). The PCR must be done in a laboratory, with all details, and electronically signed. They do not accept “home” or “mailed” self tests.

I also recommend you download the SA Port Health Arrival form, and fill it out before you leave. Mainly for Covid contact tracing. They may issue it on board, and you can get one on arrival, but extremely tedious standing in the temperature screening line, frantically filling it out, and trying to remember your seat number.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 4:55 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by KenBoffard
For RSA: Just to emphasise that if you are arriving by air, you need an RT-PCR. They do NOT routinely accept Antigen /Antibody / LAMP / Rapid PCR. The airlines know this, and chances are you will be denied boarding if you do not have an RT-PCR, taken no more than 72 hours of boarding your ticketed flight to RSA. NB therefore if you have a separate flight to your departure airport it doesn’t count, as only the time of your actual ticketed original departure flight to RSA, counts (transit is fine). The PCR must be done in a laboratory, with all details, and electronically signed. They do not accept “home” or “mailed” self tests.

I also recommend you download the SA Port Health Arrival form, and fill it out before you leave. Mainly for Covid contact tracing. They may issue it on board, and you can get one on arrival, but extremely tedious standing in the temperature screening line, frantically filling it out, and trying to remember your seat number.
Like so many others who have not travelled much lately, I left South Africa late November and returned just within the 72 hour cutoff. The test I did in Johannesburg was accepted by the airline when I flew back - they made a photocopy. Luckily, as I could not download the Port Health Arrival Form since the website was down,before I left, my Client could, and he printed one out for me. Had all paperwork ready when I arrived in JNB, and besides a temperature check, nobody looked at the forms.
So yes, the post above has sage advice.
And for those interested, more land borders have been opened, so, hopefully, it will remain like that. But, our vaccination rollout is a shambles. So, if you do come here, just take care and stay safe.

Last edited by roadwarrier; Mar 22, 2021 at 4:58 am Reason: Used wrong emoji
Old Mar 22, 2021, 6:41 am

RSA Port Health Arrivals form

SAA may not be flying, but they provide easy access to the Port Health arrivals form. This is for contact tracing. There is a good tracing app they recommend you download. NO personal details are retained.

https://www.flysaa.com/documents/518...1-d33f58cb9255

Visitors have to utilise Private care for all Health related conditions. This is pretty good in the major centres. For info, the Covid Death rate is 2-3% of hospital admissions, rather than the 10% or so in Europe. However, please ensure that you are adequately insured and covered for Covid Care. We have a relatively low rate of infection at present, but may have a third surge after the Easter holidays.

Currently, per 100,000 of population, rates of Covid are: Germany 109, UK 58, and RSA 14. (Sourse WHO).
roadwarrier likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 6:42 am

source
Old Mar 22, 2021, 8:12 am

This seems to run contrary to a lot of information I have seen here and in may of the airline forums. Please understand that I am not trying to disagree with what you are saying on this. Just seeking clarification.

I've checked a couple of South African government website and it appears that the latest published gazette (Gazette 44208, 1 March 2021) does not contain any reference to a specific test. All it says is a test recognized by the WHO.

https://www.gov.za/covid-19/individu...irus-covid-19#

Last edited by cheltzel; Mar 22, 2021 at 8:18 am
Old Mar 22, 2021, 11:30 am

With the opening of land borders, some of which are fairly remote, they have been more flexible, since PCR labs are few and far between in the bush. There are a couple of testing points at the border, for example with Botswana.
Afraid that ORTIA (JNB) and CPT airports are much stricter with International Air Travelers, and I would not advise chancing it. Remember, that there is no quarantine as such, and they are sensitive that all antigen / antibody / LAMP tests have a much higher chance of false negatives
Old Mar 22, 2021, 12:05 pm

Do you have any specific references for this? I mean where JNB is requiring specifically a RT-PCR test?
Old Mar 22, 2021, 9:49 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles, SPG
Not specifically JNB, but the South African requirements do specify a PCR, not even generically a NAA test (umbrella categoric that includes both PCR and LAMP tests)

https://www.gov.za/covid-19/models/c...provincemetro#
Old Mar 23, 2021, 12:59 am

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by cheltzel
Do you have any specific references for this? I mean where JNB is requiring specifically a RT-PCR test?
"Passengers entering or transiting through South Africa must have a negative COVID-19 PCR test result issued at most 72 hours before departure from the first embarkation point"

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php
Old Mar 23, 2021, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by QT31415
"Passengers entering or transiting through South Africa must have a negative COVID-19 PCR test result issued at most 72 hours before departure from the first embarkation point"

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php
Yes they specify PCR but not RT-PCR. This opens the options up quite a bit to the faster and cheaper tests.

The poster I was responding to was insisting that RT-PCR tests were being required in a de facto basis if you entered South Africa at one of the three major international air gateways (JNB, CPT, DUR).

Last edited by cheltzel; Mar 23, 2021 at 6:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.