South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2021, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by jeffers
Would love to hear how things are with current restrictions. Doesn't seem too bad. Will be there in 3 weeks.
I have been at the Safari lodges since I arrived…no changes with the current lockdown level. Can’t speak for the cities. Heading back home tomorrow. PCR test arranged thru the lodge is today and all forms filled out! Cheers!
Old Jun 26, 2021, 5:26 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cheltzel
The QR agent at ORD check in was not interested in the SA entry form.
Thanks, but why would they be? It's purely for port of entry in SA.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 6:59 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by jeffers
Thanks, but why would they be? It's purely for port of entry in SA.
When I posted the reply I thought I was responding to a question about what was needed at initial check in. Maybe I should stop responding just as I am about ready to shut down and get to bed
jeffers likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 8:23 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Skywards Gold, BAEC Silver, SAA Voyager
Originally Posted by drwook
Yeah I suspect it'd take a lot for SA to close the border, but risk/situation seems "sub-optimal". Plus I'm in UK; unless situation changed it'd be 10 days mandatory hotel room quarantine on the way back, which just isn't something I'm willing to do.
Unless you are willing to come back to the UK via a 3rd country? I am double vaccinated so I left RSA on 11 June and headed to Poland (who admitted me without isolation requirements on basis of NHS vaccination certificate). Did 11 nights in Poland, and had a good break there actually, returning to the UK on 23 June with no requirement to even declare visit to RSA due to having not been there in the 10 days prior to entering the UK. Had to come into UK as an amber passenger but still meant I could visit RSA without any of the hotel quarantine nonsense on return. Another option now (if you are double vaccinated) is enter the Common Travel Area via Dublin. No requirement for hotel quarantine in Republic of Ireland if you have been fully vaccinated.
HGOLI likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 10:35 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Gauteng in the middle of a Delta variant surge. President will address the nation tomorrow, but no international changes expected. Tourism not affected. Currently, restaurants have to close at 21:00. Curfew is 22:00-04:00 (to allow hospitality workers to get home). Restaurants can serve alcohol as normal, but retail sales prohibited Fri-Sunday.
There are slightly different entry and exit tracker forms accepted at International ports. These can easily be downloaded. I would strongly advise against any attempt to try to submit things online. The forms are available as pdf’s with fillable fields, which can be printed out.
It makes sense to pre-fill in a downloaded form as hard copy. The airlines also have these available in board. It is much easier simply to hand in the form, on arrival, (just before passport control) and your RT-PCR will probably be checked at the same time.
You will need to hand in a paper copy of the departure form before security and passport control at departure. The forms are available there, but again it makes sense to pre-complete them. One per passenger.
No requirement for domestic flights.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Emirates flights to RSA

Emirates reports that it will restart flights to RSA from 23 June
Old Jun 26, 2021, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by tgsh2006
Unless you are willing to come back to the UK via a 3rd country? I am double vaccinated so I left RSA on 11 June and headed to Poland (who admitted me without isolation requirements on basis of NHS vaccination certificate). Did 11 nights in Poland, and had a good break there actually, returning to the UK on 23 June with no requirement to even declare visit to RSA due to having not been there in the 10 days prior to entering the UK. Had to come into UK as an amber passenger but still meant I could visit RSA without any of the hotel quarantine nonsense on return. Another option now (if you are double vaccinated) is enter the Common Travel Area via Dublin. No requirement for hotel quarantine in Republic of Ireland if you have been fully vaccinated.
Thanks for the info. Poland is my planned stop on the way back from CPT in September. Did you need a negative test result to leave SA/enter Poland?
Old Jun 27, 2021, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Jaydm101
Thanks for the info. Poland is my planned stop on the way back from CPT in September. Did you need a negative test result to leave SA/enter Poland?
This is the beef. Strictly speaking if you are fully vaccinated then no test to enter Poland is necessary (and Timatic appears to confirm this) BUT try getting past a check in agent in RSA. I got an antigen test on the morning of departure and that was good enough for Qatar Airlines. You will need your vaccination certificate to show immigration in Poland. The paper one is best and can be obtained (if you live in England) via 119. Always be sure to check Timatic for up to date entry requirements as they could suddenly change if Angela Merkel gets her way and the EU adopt a unified approach.
HGOLI and fishz like this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, SAA Gold, Virgin Gold, Expedia Gold, Accor Silver
Another option now (if you are double vaccinated) is enter the Common Travel Area via Dublin. No requirement for hotel quarantine in Republic of Ireland if you have been fully vaccinated.
This looks like a option for travelers to the UK but I think travel to Ireland is still for "essential purposes only." Would seem to make this ineligible for a tourist/family visitor for now. Will have to keep an eye on this in case of changes.

I've struggled to identify feasible third countries with no quarantine restrictions and open travel so far. Mexico anybody?!!
Old Jun 27, 2021, 7:39 am

This is the beef. Strictly speaking if you are fully vaccinated then no test to enter Poland is necessary (and Timatic appears to confirm this) BUT try getting past a check in agent in RSA. I got an antigen test on the morning of departure and that was good enough for Qatar Airlines. You will need your vaccination certificate to show immigration in Poland. The paper one is best and can be obtained (if you live in England) via 119. Always be sure to check Timatic for up to date entry requirements as they could suddenly change if Angela Merkel gets her way and the EU adopt a unified approach.
Thank you, that's good to know. Have got the NHS app with my vaccine status loaded in but will print copies too. Hopefully by the time I go cases here in UK and SA will be on the way down.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 12:42 pm

President Ramaphosa has announced the following:

Level 4 from tomorrow until at least 11 July. Restaurants on take away only. Curfew 21:00-04:00. All non-essential business to close by 20:00. NO gatherings of any kind. Parks and beaches open but no gatherings. All leisure travel in and out of Gauteng is prohibited. Restrictions on sale of alcohol. I left RSA a fortnight ago.

It seems to me these level of restrictions are incompatible with leisure activity. Had I been going this week, I would have postponed the trip.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond

Level 4 from tomorrow until at least 11 July. Restaurants on take away only. Curfew 21:00-04:00. All non-essential business to close by 20:00. NO gatherings of any kind. Parks and beaches open but no gatherings. All leisure travel in and out of Gauteng is prohibited. Restrictions on sale of alcohol. I left RSA a fortnight ago.

It seems to me these level of restrictions are incompatible with leisure activity. Had I been going this week, I would have postponed the trip.
This is brutal. Hopefully the vaccine rollout picks up
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 4:09 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!

Curious if the leisure travel restriction is meant to extent to foreign visitors transiting to safari destinations outside of Gauteng; obviously very problematic for those intending to use OR Tambo as the port of entry.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Curious if the leisure travel restriction is meant to extent to foreign visitors transiting to safari destinations outside of Gauteng; obviously very problematic for those intending to use OR Tambo as the port of entry.
Would effectively kill inbound SA tourism for the next several weeks, given the # of pax who come through JNB.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by dave_261
Would effectively kill inbound SA tourism for the next several weeks, given the # of pax who come through JNB.
All I can think io is flying into DUR or CPT and try to get to your safari from that point. Not especially easy or affordable though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.