FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]
Old Mar 5, 2021, 10:53 am
Ditto

Originally Posted by QT31415
Thanks for the link! Helpful, but STILL it says in at least four places "(i) must be in possession of a valid negative PCR test certificate OR a valid negative COVID-19 test certificate, obtained not more than 72 hours before the date of travel, from an accredited laboratory"

That give TWO options - a PCR certificate OR a valid negative Covid-19 certificate (which possibly could be a LAMP or Rapid Antigen)? Its a big fuss, because a 3 day wait for a PCR result vs a 2-4 hr wait for a rapid antigen test can make a huge difference in a tight safari schedule. In our case, we will be in the hoanib desert 72 hrs prior to our flight departure, and would have to fly in a nurse for testing or spend 3 extra days in Windhoek prior to transiting JNB to return to the states. Currently we are erring towards the side of caution, and planning to do the testing in camp 3 days prior, but believe me, it's not inexpensive.
This version of the text has been there for ages, your only option is to check with the airline as ultimately it is up to them, since both timatic and traveldoc explicitly say PCR, I doubt you will get a different answer.