FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]
Old Jan 18, 2021, 12:40 pm
skaballet

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by bigbadjoe
Anyone heard when the alcohol ban in South Africa will be lifted or reviewed?
We are trying to get out to SA to assess and attend to my aged mother's care needs and have postponed our trip twice now due to high infection levels here and in SA. Where my mother lives (Knysna) the number of infections have been dropping significantly in the last week or so which is hopeful and we currently have our departure date set at 17th March. We have all the ducks in a row (Battleface Insurance, booked pre departure PCR tests, located PCR testing in SA, staying in private rented accommodation, masks, gloves, etc.). It just won't be much fun being in SA without a Klippies & Coke! Already planning to take a "medicinal" bottle of gin in the suitcase.
I believe it's supposed to be reviewed Feb 15th. Whether it'll be lifted or not is anyone's guess.

Keep in mind you can legally bring in 2 bottles of wine and one bottle of hard alcohol. Not as nice as getting a drink at a restaurant, but it's an option.