Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Ah, OTAs. Thanks for that. Having said that after a number of really bad experience with OTAs I avoid them like the plague. I was hoping for a workaround on A3 website itself, so that I can avoid the OTA, or a human TA that charge quite a bit for their service.
I am sorry to hear ythat you had bad experiences with OTAs, but have you read the Wiki I gave you? The userscript creates links to many airlines, on top of OTAs.

Basically you will be able to buy even the weirdest routings and classes mix, especially the kind of routing that airlines will ostensibly refuse to sell you.
I get excellent results with deeplinks to Priceline, that uses the credit card data only to guarantee the booking, that is still invoiced and debited by the airline itself. No booking fees, but invoicing in USD only.

There is no workaround on A3 website. You have two options:
- To learn how to use ITA Matrix, and how to book tickets priced by it.
- To pay someone (example: airline hotline) to do it for you. This one is good: https://propellertravel.com/fees/

Last edited by LacMajeur; Jun 19, 2018 at 10:02 am
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
Looking for some specific advice on a segment run. I will need four segments. I arrive late 10/23, will stay at Sofitel. I need to be in FRA by evening of 10/24. For FRA route, logical routing is ATH-SKG-FRA, gets me two segments (but leaves ATH at 1330). So need two segments that morning, hopefully after a decent sleep. The candidate flights for a same-airport turnaround (that fit the time slots) on the morning of 10/24 seem to be to CHQ, MLO, RHO, SKG, possibly HER, all out between 8-10, returning 10-12. I will be arriving in ATH at the end of a longer trip, so I will have a checked bag to deal with. My thoughts were to travel luggage free for the turnaround, then check the bag to FRA. Questions for the experts:

1 - Can I check luggage for the ATH-SKG-FRA flight in the morning BEFORE flying the first pair of flights?
2 - If not allowed, how long should I allow between flights to get bag and check in for later flight? Thinking 90-120 mins and that I would just leave it at hotel and get it during gap.
3 - Which airports would be recommended for turnaround?

Thanks much in advance!
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by Governator
Looking for some specific advice on a segment run. I will need four segments. I arrive late 10/23, will stay at Sofitel. I need to be in FRA by evening of 10/24. For FRA route, logical routing is ATH-SKG-FRA, gets me two segments (but leaves ATH at 1330). So need two segments that morning, hopefully after a decent sleep. The candidate flights for a same-airport turnaround (that fit the time slots) on the morning of 10/24 seem to be to CHQ, MLO, RHO, SKG, possibly HER, all out between 8-10, returning 10-12. I will be arriving in ATH at the end of a longer trip, so I will have a checked bag to deal with. My thoughts were to travel luggage free for the turnaround, then check the bag to FRA. Questions for the experts:

1 - Can I check luggage for the ATH-SKG-FRA flight in the morning BEFORE flying the first pair of flights?
2 - If not allowed, how long should I allow between flights to get bag and check in for later flight? Thinking 90-120 mins and that I would just leave it at hotel and get it during gap.

Thanks much in advance!
1) Should be OK. I've checked my bag 5 or 6 hours before an A3 flight at ATH. There are only common check-in desks so no waiting for the desk to open.
2) Even 60 minutes would probably work at a pinch. I don't know if you're familiar with ATH (I assume so), but the Sofitel is only a 2 or 3 minute walk from the terminal. If you're already Gold, check-in and security should be really smooth at that time.
3) no comment (no direct experience)

How late do you arrive in ATH? Have you considered flying out to somewhere the night before (SKG? - there is a really late flight around 23:15 I think) and then doing three legs (xxx-ATH-SKG-FRA) the next day? That would remove some of the time pressure and you'd likely get a better value hotel, but you'd need to take your checked luggage with you.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:49 am

I booked an international flight on A3 and entered my A3 M&B number (had it from some Olympic flights I took last year). After booking I realized I'd rather credit to UA. Anyone know how I can change the loyalty number on this reservation to put in my UA number instead? Thanks!
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
1) Should be OK. I've checked my bag 5 or 6 hours before an A3 flight at ATH. There are only common check-in desks so no waiting for the desk to open.
2) Even 60 minutes would probably work at a pinch. I don't know if you're familiar with ATH (I assume so), but the Sofitel is only a 2 or 3 minute walk from the terminal. If you're already Gold, check-in and security should be really smooth at that time.
3) no comment (no direct experience)

How late do you arrive in ATH? Have you considered flying out to somewhere the night before (SKG? - there is a really late flight around 23:15 I think) and then doing three legs (xxx-ATH-SKG-FRA) the next day? That would remove some of the time pressure and you'd likely get a better value hotel, but you'd need to take your checked luggage with you.
Thanks Knobbgb. I arrive on a LX flight from ZRH after midnight - otherwise, yes, I think I would try something the night before.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:25 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
@Governator, maybe you can store your bags in the airport https://www.aia.gr/traveler/airport-...ggage-services
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by matravelguy
I booked an international flight on A3 and entered my A3 M&B number (had it from some Olympic flights I took last year). After booking I realized I'd rather credit to UA. Anyone know how I can change the loyalty number on this reservation to put in my UA number instead? Thanks!
Take your phone, call A3 reservations, let the FFP change in your booking!
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:40 pm

Now, I'm fairly new to flying Aegean, but I recently made two transfers at Athens between intra-Schengen and extra-Schencen flights (one transfer each way). And is it really correct that the only way of making such transfers is to go through the baggage claim hall, exit through customs, going upstairs to the check-in area, and then enter through the same security control that passengers starting the journey in Athens use?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by RedChili
Now, I'm fairly new to flying Aegean, but I recently made two transfers at Athens between intra-Schengen and extra-Schencen flights (one transfer each way). And is it really correct that the only way of making such transfers is to go through the baggage claim hall, exit through customs, going upstairs to the check-in area, and then enter through the same security control that passengers starting the journey in Athens use?
Yes, you're correct that there are no airside transfers. I'm not sure why but probably because of the layout of the airport and (I guess) that there aren't that many people actually making transfers between intra/extra Schengen to justify the extra cost. For intra - extra it would involve an additional immigration post too, as this is before security. Maybe, with all the recent work to centralise the B Gates security, that will be the next stage - a totally common airside with just the immigration separating the A gates. It would be a good enhancement.

You're not 100% correct about going out through the baggage hall though. From intra to extra Schengen you can take a stairway directly up from the arrivals area that brings you out just in front of the immigration entrance to the A gates. Just have your boarding card ready to show. This saves three or four minutes at least.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
You're not 100% correct about going out through the baggage hall though. From intra to extra Schengen you can take a stairway directly up from the arrivals area that brings you out just in front of the immigration entrance to the A gates. Just have your boarding card ready to show. This saves three or four minutes at least.
Thanks! I'll look for that next time I'm doing a similar transfer in Athens.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold

Thanks much in advance!

Or for a small fee, if you're returning in ATH, you can leave your bag at the airport: Care4bag | Athens International Airport
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:02 pm

Thanks much in advance!
Thanks again for feedback on bags. Still looking for some more advice/comments on my third question, which airports (out of CHQ, MLO, RHO, SKG, HER) are best for turnaround flights of 30-50 minutes on the ground?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by LacMajeur
WhereToCredit add-on works well with Expedia.
SAS and Ethiopian are good picks for long-haul. Austrian is a good pick for short-haul (if you come visit from Berlin to Geneva in Z class, it will give you 8'000 miles for 350€).
Thanks for this, what is this add on (where can I find?). I like your idea to use Austrian with the 2000 miles per flight within Europe so I don't have to go so far, I'm just struggling to find appropriate flights that are definitively z class.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:28 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
just use google flights to see cheapest flights in J with OS for specific route and then on their website you will see the booking class
Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by ob7777777
what is this add on (where can I find?).
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...gfoabbiakfkkfk

Courtesy of https://www.wheretocredit.com/

Originally Posted by ob7777777
I'm just struggling to find appropriate flights that are definitively z class.
Use this argument on ITA Matrix: opairlines OS ; f ..z-

Arrivals likes this.

Last edited by LacMajeur; Jul 4, 2018 at 3:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.