Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:01 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by headingwest
Actually I don't think that is right. I just checked my progression through to Gold status and the 1000 miles sign-up bonus did actually count as Tier miles to enable me to reach Silver. I can't imagine I was just merely lucky!

Surely RCAQ01 only needs to check his account.
Technically I’m completely wrong then!

They used to count towards status in the original program, then they didn’t, now perhaps it’s changed again ...
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
........They used to count towards status in the original program, then they didn’t, now perhaps it’s changed again ...
I joined sometime during the pleiocene, but my wife more recently, 2013 (i.e. after the big change): the 1000 miles did indeed count both as award as well as tier miles. I just checked her account.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: QR Privilege Club (Gold), Aegean M+B (Gold), Hilton Honors Gold, Mariott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Technically I’m completely wrong then!

They used to count towards status in the original program, then they didn’t, now perhaps it’s changed again ...
The dashboard says 1000 award miles - Let's see what happens after crediting my first active flight on A3 flight this week.

In that case I expect a breakdown between my 1000 miles + first ATH flight. If the total of initial + first flight award miles = total tier miles after my flights this coming week, then great

I'll keep you guys updated.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RCAQ01
The dashboard says 1000 award miles - Let's see what happens after crediting my first active flight on A3 flight this week.

In that case I expect a breakdown between my 1000 miles + first ATH flight. If the total of initial + first flight award miles = total tier miles after my flights this coming week, then great

I'll keep you guys updated.
So you should log into the website and check how many miles you still require - if it says 11,000 then you know they've been counted.

Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: QR Privilege Club (Gold), Aegean M+B (Gold), Hilton Honors Gold, Mariott Bonvoy Gold Elite
So you should log into the website and check how many miles you still require - if it says 11,000 then you know they've been counted.
Yep - but it doesn't seem to be the case that 11k are remaining:

Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Oh! That explains why you're confused. I imagine that a flight needs to be credited before the Tier calculation begins. I'm pretty sure the sign-up miles will count as Tier miles too. Good luck!
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:58 am

Oh! That explains why you're confused. I imagine that a flight needs to be credited before the Tier calculation begins. I'm pretty sure the sign-up miles will count as Tier miles too. Good luck!
Fingers crossed - Thx!
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: A3*G, ex SK*G
Hi. When booking *A awards via A3, you cannot amend your name unless you untick the box next to "you are travelling" (or something to that effect), but then you won't be able to include your A3 membership number ("name doesn't match profile"). Thus, I cannot add my middle names, which I prefer to include ("all names as per passport") on long-haul flights - just in case. So in short, I'd like to add my middle names to my Miles+Bonus profile (first and last are correct, of course). I couldn't find any info about it anywhere. Is it straightforward to do with A3 - or even at all doable? When I did it with SQ, I had to print a form, fill in, and send to them with a passport copy.

Just wanted to check with FT before reaching out to A3. I have of course tried to find info on their website.

Thanks!
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:14 am

Middle names are never, ever used in Greece neither in Government- nor in private-related matters. I am not aware of any form to be filled that has a space for the middle name.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: A3*G, ex SK*G
Originally Posted by KLouis
Middle names are never, ever used in Greece neither in Government- nor in private-related matters. I am not aware of any form to be filled that has a space for the middle name.
True for many countries, which is presumably why in many countries where they use middle names, those names show up under "first/given names" in the passport, despite officially being a middle name in the passport issuing country. Regardless, the question is if it is possible to (request to) amend the Miles+Bonus registered name to include more names, so that I don't have to select "No" under "Are you travelling?" below in order to include said middle names (since the name fields in the below screenshot are not amendable if one selects "Yes"):

Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:16 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
It is possible to have multiple names in the "first name" field in the profile. I know this from personal experience as I carry multiple first names. I have my first and my second "first name" in the profile and on the tickets. The rest of my first names are not there, but they are in my passport and that mismatch has never caused me any issues. To me it appears only important to have tickets match the beginning of the first names.
AspirationalFF likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
On my account it says that I have "Up to 23/11/2018" to collect needed miles for renewing Gold status. Does anyone have any actual how smoothly it actually works if only renewing close to deadline? If I fly the last A3 flight required on 23/11 and most likely points will be deposited in 2-3 days time from that one and I would guess the system does auto downgrade directly on 24/11. Would like to avoid the mess with A3 CS etc..
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
Originally Posted by Furry
On my account it says that I have "Up to 23/11/2018" to collect needed miles for renewing Gold status. Does anyone have any actual how smoothly it actually works if only renewing close to deadline? If I fly the last A3 flight required on 23/11 and most likely points will be deposited in 2-3 days time from that one and I would guess the system does auto downgrade directly on 24/11. Would like to avoid the mess with A3 CS etc..
I'm not sure if 23/11 is allowed or too risky. If you'd fly on 22/11 and it is not credited yet on 24/11, you'll be downgraded, but as soon as you get credited you'll be gold again automatically.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:22 pm

Lounge access on day before departure while connecting

Originally Posted by HanDaniel
Is it possible to use ATH lounge coupon landing at 14:00 in Athens, the next day connecting flight is at 8:00 am?
No, you need a same day departing *A flight.

If your plan is to use it as an arrivals lounge, then (a) you can't, because it's for departures! (b) depending on where you arrive from, you won't be physically able to reach an airside lounge without a valid boarding pass for that day and (c) there's nothing in there that would be useful - there are no showers in the lounge and limited food, for example.
For reference, I was recently able to enter the A3 lounge after a late ATH arrival from HEL on A3 with an OA connection to HER the following day, all in one booking, in I. As I had assumed I wouldn't normally have been granted access the day before departure, I avoided the topic of the precise details of my connecting flight as far as possible in my interaction with the lounge dragon and attempted to keep her busy by having her apply one of my soon to expire lounge coupons, which she duly proceeded to do. My brilliant plan was, upon her realising that my flight wasn't until the following day, to talk her into giving me access anyway after the hassle of processing my coupon and since the lounge would be closing soon anyway.

So the final step was to apply the coupon, having deducted it from my account, to my boarding pass, for which purpose it (i.e. the bp) needed to be scanned first. To her shock the scan went green immediately, at which point she apologised for the confusion and advised me to reclaim my coupon through customer services since I already had access anyway on the basis of my ticket in business! She even went on to mention that the lounge would be re-opening at 3 a.m. and welcomed me to spend some more time.

Glitch in the system? I was physically able to get there as my incoming flight arrived on a remote stand and we were bussed to the B gates, my flights were all on one single booking on A3 stock, I was already checked in for my connecting flight, and my connection was within 24 hours. YMMV.

Sadly I did not try entering the LH lounge that night; in hindsight I probably should have as well. It would have been interesting to see if that would have worked...

Last edited by -Heathcliff-; Aug 27, 2018 at 1:33 pm
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:25 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by unusualtravelblog
I'm not sure if 23/11 is allowed or too risky. If you'd fly on 22/11 and it is not credited yet on 24/11, you'll be downgraded, but as soon as you get credited you'll be gold again automatically.
Thanks for the info. Are you saying that flights on 23/11 are not calculated towards the current period or is it just too risky if there is a cancellation for example? I understand from the wording that 23/11 is included - would be nice if someone would have experience from this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.