Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2023, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Lonedaddy
Not familiar with Aegan but looking at Schengen flight ATH to FRA or AMS. Can't tell on Aegen sight but the aeroLOPA site shows that in business class the middle seat is open. Just trying to confirm on the A321 that is the case as it was not on SAS flight I recently took.
Aegean has "Euro"business (like most airlines for intra-europe flights): Middle seat can NOT be occupied.
giorginho and Lonedaddy like this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by kaliakman
Another aspect is if the above benefit can be combined with Aegean Pass. Basically can I redeem my Aegean Pass for a Guaranteed Booking? (I asked that as well but the reply was even more confusing, my understanding is that you can't however.)
If you have 0-day Aegean pass, you can get the last AVAILABLE seat.
It nowhere says you can get NOT available seats.
What you suggest would be impossible, since aegean pass is only booked online, and cannot be booked over the phone.
giorginho likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 11:30 am

On the website it reads like the only requirement is that you book 48 prior to the flight. I tried to reach out to customer support and the operator's response was a bit confusing. They mentioned that you are added in a queue and you might get a confirmation (with higher priority??) so it's not really guaranteed.

Another aspect is if the above benefit can be combined with Aegean Pass. Basically can I redeem my Aegean Pass for a Guaranteed Booking? (I asked that as well but the reply was even more confusing, my understanding is that you can't however.)
If you are so desperate to pay full fare economy (the most expensive price of economy) for a seat, you can use this benefit.
Don't bother what anyone says verbally.
When you need to use it, just read them word by word what the website says.
  • Guaranteed bookingBenefit of a guaranteed Economy Class cabin seat for AEGEAN and Olympic Air flights. Prerequisite is that your reservation is completed at least 48 hours prior to departure for flights operated by an Airbus aircraft type or at least 96 hours before departure for flights operated by DASH 8 100 (37 seats), Dash 8 Q400 (78 seats), or ATR (48 seats. Flights operated by DASH 8 100 (37 seats) or by ATR (48 seats) are excluded from the guaranteed booking benefit, during the period 1 June-30 September.
    It is clarified that the member is entitled to the benefit, provided that the Miles+Bonus member ID is included in the booking.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 11:49 am

I tried to reach out to customer support and the operator's response was a bit confusing....
Confusing because probably the agent wasn't familiar with either subject. Of course if 50 Golds call for the "guaranteed booking" privilege 50 hours prior to an already full flight, I guess Aegean would have a big issue to solve.
But anyway, the pass and that gold benefit are 2 completely different (and also logically incompatible) things. There are 2 passes which don't allow you to book later than 30 and 7 days prior to the flight respectively. As a gold you can try to purchase a "normal" ticket up to 48 hours prior. If you wish to do that with a pass, you'd have to bug the 0-day pass, but if the flight is already full, then this too won't work (as it only guarantees "last seat availability" and not a "guaranteed seat").

Anyway I'll shorten / sum up my own previous question:
If you open a Miles&Bonus account and credit miles from past flights, do those tier miles count for 12 months since opening the account or for less time than that (since they were flown earlier than the account's creation)? MeltingAlf 's comment, that he had 12 whole months to reach silver after/despite crediting flights taken prior to creating the account seems to suggest that they are indeed valid for 12 months since account opening, so effectively longer than 12 months since flown! Can anyone back this up?
Old Jul 28, 2023, 3:32 pm

Programs: A3 Silver, DL Silver Medallion
A few questions about J Tickets:

1) Until when are they refundable and changeable? Before check-in time, departure time or after departure time?
2) Is it true you have to pay a 23 euro fee to cancel these refundable tickets??!!!
3) Can you drop segments from your ticket by simply paying fare difference? For example if I book HER-ATH-FRA, can I drop the HER-ATH segment?
4) If I drop a segment and the overall price is less, and then I later cancel the tickets, will I get back all the money I paid for my tickets or only the cost of the cheaper changed tickets?

Last edited by MathAviation7; Jul 29, 2023 at 1:57 am
Old Jul 29, 2023, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by MathAviation7
A few questions about J Tickets:

1) Until when are they refundable and changeable? Before check-in time, departure time or after departure time?
2) Is it true you have to pay a 23 euro fee to cancel these refundable tickets??!!!
3) Can you drop segments from your ticket by simply paying fare difference? For example if I book HER-ATH-FRA, can I drop the HER-ATH segment?
4) If I drop a segment and the overall price is less, and then I later cancel the tickets, will I get back all the money I paid for my tickets or only the cost of the cheaper changed tickets?
First of all booking class "J" at Aegean is in economy class. I'll answer your questions assuming you're referring to business class. As of quite a few months now (must be since December 2022 or so) Aegean has introduced "business basic" tickets on almost all routes, which don't offer free changes or cancellation, so again I'll assume you're referring to the more expensive business class option.

1) I think until about boarding time (30min or so prior to scheduled take-off? Or around the time check-in closes?) you can change your ticket online for free. After departure if you're a no-show you have to call and pay I believe a 30€ no-show fee (if that hasn't changed) and probably the 23€ call center fee. It's been a while since I've last done my research about these matters, so please feel free to correct me.

2) Sure! Since you still have to go through the call center, you must pay that fee.

3) I've changed SKG-DUS to ATH-DUS by just paying a small amount on top (40€ including the call center fee and higher taxes ex-ATH), so I'd say it's possible. Just ask

4) You NEVER get refunds from Aegean by simply changing your ticket (unless we're talking less taxes, then you'll get the tax difference back). Even if according to what you see on the website the new ticket (the fare) would cost less (regardless of the reason, say a lower booking class is available or the same booking class is discounted), Aegean will always make it so that it either costs the same (if any booking class higher than the cheaper, generally available one, would cost exactly the same as what you've already paid) or you'll only be able to book the first booking class that costs slightly more than what you've paid before.
So your new tickets will never be "cheaper".
I any case, if it comes to a cancellation ("free" or not) and a refund at some point, then everything you've ever paid comes into the equation. So minus the call center fee and any cancellation fees, you're getting (the rest of) your money back.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 5:26 am

Programs: A3 Silver, DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by giorginho
First of all booking class "J" at Aegean is in economy class. I'll answer your questions assuming you're referring to business class. As of quite a few months now (must be since December 2022 or so) Aegean has introduced "business basic" tickets on almost all routes, which don't offer free changes or cancellation, so again I'll assume you're referring to the more expensive business class option.

1) I think until about boarding time (30min or so prior to scheduled take-off? Or around the time check-in closes?) you can change your ticket online for free. After departure if you're a no-show you have to call and pay I believe a 30€ no-show fee (if that hasn't changed) and probably the 23€ call center fee. It's been a while since I've last done my research about these matters, so please feel free to correct me.

2) Sure! Since you still have to go through the call center, you must pay that fee.

3) I've changed SKG-DUS to ATH-DUS by just paying a small amount on top (40€ including the call center fee and higher taxes ex-ATH), so I'd say it's possible. Just ask

4) You NEVER get refunds from Aegean by simply changing your ticket (unless we're talking less taxes, then you'll get the tax difference back). Even if according to what you see on the website the new ticket (the fare) would cost less (regardless of the reason, say a lower booking class is available or the same booking class is discounted), Aegean will always make it so that it either costs the same (if any booking class higher than the cheaper, generally available one, would cost exactly the same as what you've already paid) or you'll only be able to book the first booking class that costs slightly more than what you've paid before.
So your new tickets will never be "cheaper".
I any case, if it comes to a cancellation ("free" or not) and a refund at some point, then everything you've ever paid comes into the equation. So minus the call center fee and any cancellation fees, you're getting (the rest of) your money back.
Thank you for your response. Yes, I was referring to Aegean full fare business class. Just a quick question, since you can change the route online, can you do the segment omission online by changing the route to start in Athens? Or do you have to do it by phone, because I would prefer to save the €23 if possible…
Old Jul 29, 2023, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by MathAviation7
... can you do the segment omission online by changing the route to start in Athens? Or do you have to do it by phone, because I would prefer to save the €23 if possible…
No, such changes can only be made via the call center, but I never quite understood why I paid "only" 40€ back then, since the additional taxes alone would have been about 15€ and there was also a slight fare difference... It felt as if I didn't pay the fee (and it was April 2022 regarding a booking made November 2021, so I am pretty sure all covid-related courtesies, such as completely free re-bookings, we're over, but since what I was charged was less than what I expected I didn't question the amount​​​​​​). Anyway...
Originally Posted by giorginho
If you open a Miles&Bonus account and credit miles from past flights, do those tier miles count for 12 months since opening the account or for less time than that (since they were flown earlier than the account's creation)? MeltingAlf 's comment, that he had 12 whole months to reach silver after/despite crediting flights taken prior to creating the account seems to suggest that they are indeed valid for 12 months since account opening, so effectively longer than 12 months since flown! Can anyone back this up?
I caught up with a friend of mine, who despite flying return internationally once a year (along with his wife and 2 kids) with Aegean, he never cared to credit miles to his account, so I took care of account creation and retro-crediting for them and was able to answer my own question:
The newly created account(s) only have until the date of the oldest flight credited was actually flown +365 days in order to reach silver (which in this case is in just 6 weeks!, account created yesterday!), according to what is shown on the account's page. There must have either been something that MeltingAlf misunderstood (perhaps the fact that the indication of "to upgrade to silver you need Xxxx miles and 2 segments" remained unchanged for a full day after creating the account, even though miles were already retro-cretided successfully misled him), or something that was changed lately regarding such matters.

Bummer for me (well for my toddler anyway), since I can't avoid to either lose those 1300 miles or have him reach silver 5,5 months before he flies again ​​​​​​. I guess I'll just have to try and keep the "damage" to a minimum. What could be interesting is, that the 1000 miles they received as a registration bonus are of course valid for 365 days since registration, so they are "newer" than the miles retro-credited. Unfortunately none of them came even close to upgrading to silver with such few flights, so I couldn't find out how that works out regarding the actual upgrade. All miles were credited immediately, retro-crediting worked instantly, so all were credited and showed up in the account on the same day, but it took the account 1 day to "sort itself out" (did all that yesterday, but for example, "together" only became available today, yesterday the system didn't recognize any credited flights even though those miles were already showing up, typical Aegean IT), so my guess, that the system could actually keep all of the miles retro-credited, except for those exceeding 12.000 and then add the 1000 miles on top. Bit of a long shot, but if all is done ASAP within, say, one morning, it could work (in order to just lose 300 miles and be able to move the renewal date 5,5 months to the future).
​​​​​

Last edited by giorginho; Jul 29, 2023 at 8:32 am
Old Jul 30, 2023, 2:16 pm

Hey everyone,
I too have a few questions that I’m hoping can be answered with your guys‘ experience and knowledge …

1. has anyone ever (tried to) credited miles from an Portugalia Airlines flight to A3 M&B? Do they earn same as TAP? … I’m about to book a DUB-LIS-ORD flight (to achieve *G), the DUB-LIS being “operated by Portugalia Airlines”
(They seem to be a TAP subsidiary, either wetlease or as of now seemingly fully integrated as TAP express???)

2. How about SAS link, SAS connect, Air Baltic and Smartlynx as a SAS Business Class feeder flight?

3. What happens to “excess” tier miles after reaching a new status?
Will they stay in my account after reaching silver and count towards reaching gold?
once I’ve reached gold, will excess miles already count towards retaining gold?

I’ve already contacted Aegean several times via email and their online contact form but they only sent 1 automated (unhelpful) response and otherwise don’t reply at all. The call center agent just say they can’t help/not their responsibility/no other call center they could redirect me to🤔
Old Jul 31, 2023, 2:41 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
On TAP, all their subsidiary airlines earn as per the main chart. The last DUB-LIS flight I took was probably back in 2021, and it earnt as normal.

All wholly-owned SAS subsidiaries earn as per their main chart. Air Baltic is not a *A airline and therefore you will not earn on them (or at least should not earn on them). Smartlynx sounds like a wet lease, so for the purposes of the flight that would be regarded as being SK.

After reaching a new status, your status miles and/or flights carry over towards the next status and continue to expire 12 months after being flown. Once you reach Gold, there is no carry-over to the next qualification period so you are only effectively earning award miles.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by Mandyna
once I’ve reached gold, will excess miles already count towards retaining gold?
To correct the reply from NWIFlyer a bit on that part: Excess miles will always count after reaching a "new status", so after you reach gold for the first time, your excess miles will count towards retaining gold for the first time too! After that, the only tier miles that count, are the ones flown within the 365 days before your gold tier is set to expire.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 6:17 am

Programs: Nectar Card
Do A3 Golds get a free checked bag on A3 operated flights, but on a Light ticket? (Unfortunately, OTA doesn't list the fare family, and it might be a Light ticket)
Old Aug 4, 2023, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Do A3 Golds get a free checked bag on A3 operated flights, but on a Light ticket? (Unfortunately, OTA doesn't list the fare family, and it might be a Light ticket)
Yes, a free checked bag is included for *G in all classes on A3.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 7:21 am

Programs: BA, A3, LY; IHG/IC, Accor
I have a ATH-BER roundtrip ticket, purchased on aegean website, where outbound is LH operated codeshare flights via MUC, inbound is a direct A3 flight. I tried to apply a business upgrade coupon on the outbound part (direct A3 flight), but was told that this could be done only after I fly the inbound part of the ticket. The agent said that it is due to the inbound being operated by LH.

I have never heard about the restriction. Is it a case of hung up and call again?
Old Aug 5, 2023, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by eugnk
... but was told that this could be done only after I fly the inbound part of the ticket. The agent said that it is due to the inbound being operated by LH.
What has actually been reported multiple times is, that you can't upgrade an A3 segment at all, if other carriers are part of the booking! So it's a rather positive thing, that they'll at least let you apply for the upgrade after the outbound flights.
eugnk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.