Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2023, 4:39 am

Programs: A3 *G
For some logistic problems I will be at the airport 5 hours before takeoff in MXP. Unfortunately I have a registered luggage. When do check-in counters typically open in MXP for a intra-Schengen flight? 3 or 2 hours before flight? There are no self-deposit counters for *A flights, right? Thanks
Old Jun 21, 2023, 7:37 am

Hi,
I've taken CGN-ATH-SKG the day before yesterday and SKG-ATH-FRA yesterday to at least qualify for silver and foundation for more. Miles are credited in already but it somehow shows I have to fly 13,089 miles independent of partner airline. How long does it usually take for the tier upgrade to be displayed? Secondly, according to my math I've collected 35,000-13,089 = 21,911 tier miles. where 12,000 will be deducted for silver. Does it still apply that 21,911-12,000 = 9,911 will count towards gold?

Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 21, 2023, 9:26 am
KRS

Surcharges on *A award tickets

Having never redeemed any of my Aegean miles I am now looking into doing so, and I am wondering if there is an overview somewhere, or general rule of thumb that I can use to determine which routes make sense to redeem for wrt minimizing fuel/carrier surcharges on *A flights?
E.g. I looked into flying Scandinavia to North Africa as it seemed a sensible redemption based on it all being in the same zone, and only 50000 miles for a round trip in Business; however, the cash payment is a hefty EUR430 (combination of SK and MS), which is only slightly less than buying a regular (economy) ticket outright.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 11:21 am

Programs: AS MVP75K, SPG Platinum
I'm flying Aegean for the first time this summer on a FCO-ATH-MLO route. The ATH-MLO flight is on a Olympic Air ATR. I've got a few questions about my travel and would appreciate any insight.

1. The carry-on dimensions are smaller for the ATR than the Aegean Airbus aircraft. Can anyone confirm that the overhead bins are actually smaller on this type of aircraft? My carry-on bag is an Away larger carry-on, which fits standard overhead bins.

2. I typically don't travel with a checked bag and am paying for the ComfortFlex fare that includes carry-one and checked bags. If the ATR bins are too small, will they just gate check my bag for the ATH-MLO flight? Should I just check the bag starting at FCO?

3. I see that seats aren't assigned on the Olympic Air ATR. Do they get assigned at check-in? I'm curious what the boarding process is for the Olympic Air ATR flight.

Thank you!
Old Jun 21, 2023, 2:29 pm

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
Originally Posted by jumpallover
For some logistic problems I will be at the airport 5 hours before takeoff in MXP. Unfortunately I have a registered luggage. When do check-in counters typically open in MXP for a intra-Schengen flight? 3 or 2 hours before flight? There are no self-deposit counters for *A flights, right? Thanks
wich flight?
Old Jun 21, 2023, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by KRS
Having never redeemed any of my Aegean miles I am now looking into doing so, and I am wondering if there is an overview somewhere, or general rule of thumb that I can use to determine which routes make sense to redeem for wrt minimizing fuel/carrier surcharges on *A flights?
E.g. I looked into flying Scandinavia to North Africa as it seemed a sensible redemption based on it all being in the same zone, and only 50000 miles for a round trip in Business; however, the cash payment is a hefty EUR430 (combination of SK and MS), which is only slightly less than buying a regular (economy) ticket outright.
Nop. That would require someone to make a list of charges airport/ticket/airline and I dont think that has realy been done.
KRS likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by snoopdeloops
I'm flying Aegean for the first time this summer on a FCO-ATH-MLO route. The ATH-MLO flight is on a Olympic Air ATR. I've got a few questions about my travel and would appreciate any insight.

1. The carry-on dimensions are smaller for the ATR than the Aegean Airbus aircraft. Can anyone confirm that the overhead bins are actually smaller on this type of aircraft? My carry-on bag is an Away larger carry-on, which fits standard overhead bins.

2. I typically don't travel with a checked bag and am paying for the ComfortFlex fare that includes carry-one and checked bags. If the ATR bins are too small, will they just gate check my bag for the ATH-MLO flight? Should I just check the bag starting at FCO?

3. I see that seats aren't assigned on the Olympic Air ATR. Do they get assigned at check-in? I'm curious what the boarding process is for the Olympic Air ATR flight.

Thank you!
Yes, the ATR bins are smaller then the airbusses. The limits are lower because of that. If you are outside limits for the mlo flight, they will gate check it, you have allowance.

Atr seats are assigned. At ATH you get bussed to the place. MLO is so small that you all have to wait in the lobby and then walk up to the plane when its parked at the stance.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Yreal
wich flight?
MXP - ATH.

Last edited by jumpallover; Jun 22, 2023 at 3:18 am
Old Jun 22, 2023, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by antoni0707
Hi,
I've taken CGN-ATH-SKG the day before yesterday and SKG-ATH-FRA yesterday to at least qualify for silver and foundation for more. Miles are credited in already but it somehow shows I have to fly 13,089 miles independent of partner airline. How long does it usually take for the tier upgrade to be displayed? Secondly, according to my math I've collected 35,000-13,089 = 21,911 tier miles. where 12,000 will be deducted for silver. Does it still apply that 21,911-12,000 = 9,911 will count towards gold?

Thanks for your help!
solved, turned out exactly like this
Old Jun 22, 2023, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by jumpallover
MXP - ATH.
Call the call center, it's 2 hours before flight.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by KRS
MS is what driving the surcharge through the roof! Try to find a connection with Ethiopian, or if you're flying to Egypt perhaps even Aegean. It'll be much cheaper.
Originally Posted by antoni0707
solved, turned out exactly like this
I am quite curious as to how you got over 9000 miles to carry over, when you still needed to reach silver, by taking just those 4 flights, which, even if booked in business class, wouldn't have credited more than 8000-ish miles (and the last time I remember Aegean offering double tier miles was over 2 yeads ago).
KRS likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by giorginho
MS is what driving the surcharge through the roof! Try to find a connection with Ethiopian, or if you're flying to Egypt perhaps even Aegean. It'll be much cheaper.
I am quite curious as to how you got over 9000 miles to carry over, when you still needed to reach silver, by taking just those 4 flights, which, even if booked in business class, wouldn't have credited more than 8000-ish miles (and the last time I remember Aegean offering double tier miles was over 2 yeads ago).
Oh, I think I described it not clearly enough though Let’s put it the other way round with some rounded numbers. Before that, I collected 17000tier miles without having any a3 flight in. Taking those 4 flights gave me +5000 miles -12000 =10000 to take over. My upgrade to gold shows now 14000 including 2 a3 flights. Where was my mistake?
Old Jun 23, 2023, 9:39 pm

antoni0707 no mistake there, I had already kind of suspected that you had collected more miles than required, just without the segments, but this is exactly what got me curious!
There has been a lot of uncertainty around here regarding when one should take those Aegean segments in order to not lose any miles exceeding the silver threshold.
Yours is actually a very important data point, that it actually works to have already exceeded (and in fact by far!) that threshold, then credit the A3 segments and actually have all the excess miles carry over to count for gold!
Nice!
antoni0707 likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 3:41 pm

Hello everyone,

I did some research (also in the terms and conditions of A3), but unfortunately didn't find an answer and hope you can help:

How about "excess" status miles at A3 when you are upgraded a level. For example, if I have 15,000 status miles and then fly two times with A3 and achieve Silver status, the 3,000 excess miles + the new miles from the two A3 flights will already count toward Gold status qualification or will they expire and I have to start from scratch to qualify for gold status?

Many thanks in advance and best regards
Old Jun 30, 2023, 11:28 pm

Patrickf91 to add something to what I replied to you in the other forum: make sure those Aegean flights get credited automatically (so have your frequent flyer number entered correctly in the booking prior to flying), because if you need to retro-credit, then the day on which your silver tier begins will be the day of the retro-credit, not the day of the flight(s) and then the miles will not count towards obtaining gold!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.