Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 4:42 am

The rules for all Star Alliance flights and frequent flyer programs are very "simple": You always earn according to the operating carrier (what's sometimes erroneously referred to as "metal flown"), you don't earn according to the marketing carrier (i.e. the code on your ticket), with the exception of wet lease flights.

So, if you want to find out how many points you will earn for a flight which is booked under LX code, but operated by Edelweiss as an Edelweiss flight, you cannot look under the headline "Swiss" on the M&B "How to earn" page. You instead have to find out how your LX booking class maps onto an Edelweiss booking class, and look for that class under the headline "Edelweiss" on the M&B "how to earn" page. And if you cannot find an "Edelweiss" headline, chances are that Edelweiss are not part of Star Alliance, meaning that all mapping earnings will be 0.
Old May 4, 2018, 5:28 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
@RedChili, if so, then *A is very special. You will not see this in 1W or ST alliances. Now I am curious if I will get miles for my UA flights on Hawaiian metal.
Old May 4, 2018, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by GBobon
@KLouis, then A3 should make it very clear on their website.
Originally Posted by RedChili
The rules for all Star Alliance flights and frequent flyer programs are very "simple": You always earn according to the operating carrier (what's sometimes erroneously referred to as "metal flown"), you don't earn according to the marketing carrier (i.e. the code on your ticket), with the exception of wet lease flights.

So, if you want to find out how many points you will earn for a flight which is booked under LX code, but operated by Edelweiss as an Edelweiss flight, you cannot look under the headline "Swiss" on the M&B "How to earn" page. You instead have to find out how your LX booking class maps onto an Edelweiss booking class, and look for that class under the headline "Edelweiss" on the M&B "how to earn" page. And if you cannot find an "Edelweiss" headline, chances are that Edelweiss are not part of Star Alliance, meaning that all mapping earnings will be 0.
RedChilli's post says it all, and there is no need for any additional info to be included in the web pages in this specific matter. Even A3's earnings when flying A3 issued tickets on code-shares with other non *A member airlines are not included! When flying a *A member airline one earns according to that airline's quoted miles (and not to the rules of the one that issued the ticket) while when flying a non-member (here: Edelweiss) one earns nothing. Of course, all of this is, logically, not the case when wet leases are involved. In the long thread on A3's using "funny" code-shares with OA one can find lots of examples that I didn't bother to list: among them are LH-Eurowings and Air Dolomiti, Thai-Thai Smile and Nok, Singapore-Silk Air and Scoop, Swiss-Edelweiss, etc. By the way, members of the other two major alliances also use a similar system. Whether this is a "scam" to reduce miles earning (and other benefits) is considered to be a fact by many although, obviously, not one airline ever agreed with this idea.

The fact that something is not explicitly mentioned in a web page does not mean much, in contrast to the opposite (what is mentioned should always be true). Including all airlines that do not award miles to M+B members is a sheer "impossibility" for A3 as it would contain hundreds of them. A3 follows the same system as the one followed by Swiss: M&M doesn't include earnings on OA in their web pages.
Old May 4, 2018, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by LacMajeur
Even Air Dolomiti ?!

I thought there were wet leases, but apparently LH 2383 might be a codeshare of EN2383
Yes, Air Dolomiti is a wholly owned subsidiary of LH and it is not a member of *A. It serves several Italian destinations from MUC and, I think, only Verona from FRA. All of them are code-shared with LH. I think that as a member of M&M you are entitled to your benefits but as a simple *G you get no lounge, no miles, no free luggage, basically no nothing! (Based on experience! )
Old May 4, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I have a flight from MUC-ATH and then purchased a separate flight from ATH - JMK. ( I didn't know I was meeting folks in Mykonos until after I purchased the MUC-ATH ticket).

1) Do you think I will be able to check my bags through to JMK?
2) I have a 2 hour layover in ATH. If I have to go get my bags and recheck to Mykonos, is 2 hours enough? I assume no immigration as I am flying within Schengen.
I suppose I can purchase their fast track package for ATH-JMK if it looks too tight.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 4, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I have a flight from MUC-ATH and then purchased a separate flight from ATH - JMK. ( I didn't know I was meeting folks in Mykonos until after I purchased the MUC-ATH ticket).

1) Do you think I will be able to check my bags through to JMK?
2) I have a 2 hour layover in ATH. If I have to go get my bags and recheck to Mykonos, is 2 hours enough? I assume no immigration as I am flying within Schengen.
I suppose I can purchase their fast track package for ATH-JMK if it looks too tight.

Thanks in advance.
1) Assuming that both your flights are with A3 and/or OA, you should be able to check your bags all the way to JMK, even with separate bookings. I have done it a couple of times before with no problems at all. Just inform the agent at the check-in counter in MUC and make sure your bags are tagged to ATH and JMK, not just ATH.

2) if need arises, 2 hours is comfortable enough to claim and recheck your bag, and clear security, since this is an intra-Schengen flight and no immigration/customs are involved... Unless some irregularity/delay/problem shows up. In which case you may still make it if it is a minor one (up to half an hour/three quarters max). If a delay occurs, inform A3's "connection ambassador" immediately once you land in ATH.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Thanks for the quick and reassuring reply. Yes, both tickets are with A3/OA.

I will do just as you suggest.
Old May 4, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by KLouis
RedChilli's post says it all, and there is no need for any additional info to be included in the web pages in this specific matter. Even A3's earnings when flying A3 issued tickets on code-shares with other non *A member airlines are not included! When flying a *A member airline one earns according to that airline's quoted miles (and not to the rules of the one that issued the ticket) while when flying a non-member (here: Edelweiss) one earns nothing. Of course, all of this is, logically, not the case when wet leases are involved. In the long thread on A3's using "funny" code-shares with OA one can find lots of examples that I didn't bother to list: among them are LH-Eurowings and Air Dolomiti, Thai-Thai Smile and Nok, Singapore-Silk Air and Scoop, Swiss-Edelweiss, etc. By the way, members of the other two major alliances also use a similar system. )
Although, things are never quite that simple. I think confusion sometimes arises with Swiss as they have other flights, such as those operated by their subsidiary Helvetic Airways, that DO earn. Likewise, SAS for example have many flights operated by Cityjet that also earn. I'm not disagreeing with the other posters, just highlighting how confusion can easily occur. I think a good (but not foolproof) guide is that if the 'subsidiary' flights have a mainline flight number then they are probably treated the same as mainline flights. This is certainly true for the flights (such as IST) that Olympic operate on behalf of Aegean that DO earn for all *A programs.
Old May 5, 2018, 1:48 pm

I just booked flights on A3 Cairo->TLV for July. There is a 17:45 hr layover in Athens (arrive 6:10am dep 11:55pm). I would like to checkin 2 bags, I understand 1 bag is free, and there is a discount if I purchase online. I purchased the tickets thru Priceline (as the route does not show on A3) and confirmed the reservation is being shown on A3.

When I checked online for the luggage price it was showing 2 charges : Cario->Ath $40, and Ath->TLV $27. I thought there would only be 1 charge since the layover is less than 24hrs.

I called the US # customer service, and the rep said it would be 1 $40 charge, and she would need to get back to me later as the offices are closed in Athens on why I am seeing two charges online.

Since it is the weekend there maybe additional delay. As I have 24hr to cancel the priceline ticket, has anyone experienced something similar? Will there be 1 charge or will I be charged twice?
Old May 5, 2018, 2:50 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
maybe you have this issue because priceline booked you a multi city ticket? anyway, you PM them on facebook for more details
https://www.facebook.com/aegeanairlinesinternational/
2008traveler likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 3:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I have three pretty elementary questions:

1) Does non-A3 Star Alliance Gold status work on OA-coded, OA-operated flights (booked on A3 website) for lounge/extra baggage/J check-in?

2) Can you get into the LH lounge at ATH on M&M Star Gold or A3 M&B Gold holding a BP for an OA-coded, OA-operated (booked on A3 website)?

3) Can you credit OA flights to non-M&B Star programmes?

I did a search but could not find an answer. I'm assuming that 1) to 3) would be a No, due to OA not being part of Star?

1) and 3) are just practical questions of where to credit the flights as M&M earn for almost all of my non-A3 flights are better than M&B earn, and if there is no merit in keeping M&B other than upgrade vouchers etc. then I might consolidate my miles to M&M (currently triple Star Gold with M&M, M&B and PPS). 2) are out of curiosity... just fancy having a nosy at the LH lounge but essentially all of my Schengen flights ex-ATH are OA!
Old May 6, 2018, 4:03 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I have three pretty elementary questions:

1) Does non-A3 Star Alliance Gold status work on OA-coded, OA-operated flights (booked on A3 website) for lounge/extra baggage/J check-in?

2) Can you get into the LH lounge at ATH on M&M Star Gold or A3 M&B Gold holding a BP for an OA-coded, OA-operated (booked on A3 website)?

3) Can you credit OA flights to non-M&B Star programmes?

I did a search but could not find an answer. I'm assuming that 1) to 3) would be a No, due to OA not being part of Star?

1) and 3) are just practical questions of where to credit the flights as M&M earn for almost all of my non-A3 flights are better than M&B earn, and if there is no merit in keeping M&B other than upgrade vouchers etc. then I might consolidate my miles to M&M (currently triple Star Gold with M&M, M&B and PPS). 2) are out of curiosity... just fancy having a nosy at the LH lounge but essentially all of my Schengen flights ex-ATH are OA!
1) No. Though there gave been a few reports on people being able to enter the Aegean lounge with *A Gold or UA Membership cards, but this is far from firmly confirmed - those instances may have been a fluke. If you do hold a M&M Senator card you could give it a try though..

2) No. Neither *A Gold nor M+B Gold can enter the LH lounge when flying OA.

3) I'd imagine that it depends a bit on the flight in question. Some A3 flights are operated (Wet leased?) by OA, and in those cases I would expect yes (Eg flights to MLA, IST). But the majority of OA flights will be operated by Olympic under OA flight numbers, or, with a A3 codeshare. In those cases I would expect that no miles can be earned in other programmes.

I'm just curious though, unless you are based in Greece I'd expect you to also fly out of ATH internationally? For those flights you should be able to use the LH lounge (as it is a general *A lounge).

Opinions are divided, however for me personally the LH lounge is far, far above the A3 one. It does get crowded at times (Eg around noon), but the food is miles ahead of any other lounge in ATH (and many other airports in Europe).
Old May 6, 2018, 12:12 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Thanks Xandrios. That's pretty much what I thought.
It's good to have it all confirmed.

Originally Posted by Xandrios
I'm just curious though, unless you are based in Greece I'd expect you to also fly out of ATH internationally? For those flights you should be able to use the LH lounge (as it is a general *A lounge).
I am based in Greece part-time, however most of my international flights to/from Greece are non-Schengen, so no access to the LH lounge.
Old May 7, 2018, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
The only Edelweiss-operated flights that earn miles with M+B are those that represent wet-leased planes.
That.
Old May 7, 2018, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by RedChili
It's not that simple. I've been on about two dozen flights operated by Jazz, which all credited to M&B. I've been on a similar number of ExpressJet operated flights, and all of those booked as UA credited. I've been on three SkyWest operated flights, and two credited.

I have more examples like that.

As for Edelweiss operated, some will likely credit (LX capacity purchase) and some likely won't (Edelweiss flying on their own account).

Last edited by sokolov; May 7, 2018 at 11:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.