Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2018, 4:05 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by East_and_West
Hi, I would be grateful if any of you could help me with this. Earlier today while booking a flight for my wife and me (ATH-CPH on A3) I missed the last letter in her first name (Sofi instead of Sofie). I called their customer service right away to have it fixed but apparently there is a €20 charge for that. Their representative also told me that the change NEEDS to be done because my wife will be refused boarding if the name on her passport does not match exactly the name on her ticket.

This has happened to me in the past with both SK (mixed my first with my last name when SK had first changed the interface of their website) and LH (the colleague who booked my tickets mistyped a letter in my last name). In both cases I contacted them immediately, and this turned out to be a no-issue resolved after a two-minute communication with the airline (through their online chat, not even a call required). I am surprised by how icky has A3 become lately...

Anyway, does any of you guys have any similar experience when travelling form ATH? Do you think this could be an issue? Thanks in advance!
Not only a similar issue but almost the same. I mis-spelled a friend's name when booking her a ticket and she also got charged the 20 Euro. And - her name was Sophie too. Weird! Anyway, I missed out a letter due to small keyboard on my phone and despite calling them within two minutes of the mistake, they wouldn't budge.

As to if it actually has to be changed... well. the gate staff always seem busy (of course) and they only seem to take a cursory glance at most passports and the name that comes up on their screen may well be something like YOURSURNAME,S MRS or some such abbreviation. Within Schengen I doubt there are many pre-travel ID checks like there are with 'Advanced Passenger Information' being collected for destinations such as the UK, so it might not even be spotted and if it is, pleading ignorance MIGHT work I guess... after all, there is no government requirement that everyone has to show ID within Schengen other than for security - to show you are actually the person on the ticket (and some countries don't even check ID at boarding). Standing ones ground and causing a scene is almost a national sport in Greece, so maybe common sense will prevail. Having said that, I would wimp out and just stump up the 20 Euro.

On a slightly different note, I had a friend who, through being able to turn on the waterworks on demand was able to board an Aegean flight to the UK with no passport (she'd been pickpocketed an hour earlier) but that was three or four years ago.

Last edited by Knobbgb; Mar 28, 2018 at 4:20 am
Old Mar 28, 2018, 6:01 am

Not a new "behaviour' on their part! About ten years ago I bought the tickets for three couples and for one of the pax I checked Mr instead of Mrs. Given that the first name was Georgia, I thought it would be easy to change and I called immediately. 20 € would have been cheap! I had to cancel the, then, uncancelable and unchangeable ticket and buy a new one for my friend, which cost me about 200 €!
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Thanks for your feedback Knobbgb and KLouis!

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
Not only a similar issue but almost the same. I mis-spelled a friend's name when booking her a ticket and she also got charged the 20 Euro. And - her name was Sophie too. Weird! Anyway, I missed out a letter due to small keyboard on my phone and despite calling them within two minutes of the mistake, they wouldn't budge.

Having said that, I would wimp out and just stump up the 20 Euro.
Maybe there are some issues with Sophies and A3 to beigin with But I think I ll follow your advice and pay to avoid any surprises at the gate.

Originally Posted by KLouis
Not a new "behaviour' on their part! About ten years ago I bought the tickets for three couples and for one of the pax I checked Mr instead of Mrs. Given that the first name was Georgia, I thought it would be easy to change and I called immediately. 20 € would have been cheap! I had to cancel the, then, uncancelable and unchangeable ticket and buy a new one for my friend, which cost me about 200 €!
€200 just for that is outrageous Makes the €20 I have to pay sound like a bargain. But you are right, most likely it has always been like that, but since no such issues had showed up until recently I never had to deal with that… When some years ago SK was faltering, and I decided to abandon EB, I went for M&B not only because I was flying A3 almost as often as SK, but also because of their excellent cabin service, their (according to experience until then) efficient customer service, and also for them refraining (or at least so I thought) from engaging into this combination of quality undercutting and penny-pinching that most European and North American airlines race towards lately. Flying A3 back then felt to me like flying a little Qatar/Singapore/Thai/R.Jordanian (or at least the closest equivalent one could find in Europe, apart perhaps from TK), still keeping some of the aura of a bygone era in aviation Their recent downturn on various levels leaves me feeling kind of sad…
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL PL, B6 M3
Economy award availability on A3 803 MUC to ATH seems to be non-existent per UA in November. I'm interested in Nov. 22nd 11am in particular. Any chance availability will open open up at a particular number of days out, or should I stick with the wide open LH flights?
Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:59 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
That is odd - availability is wide open for M+B:

So there is availability on this day (and all the days around it), but, somehow not through UA..
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:11 am
formerly gantid

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Platinum elite, *G, Hilton Gold
Hi,

i just booked ATH-JTR on OAL. When I try to enter my FF #, the only option I have is Miles&Bonus account. It doesn't allow me to enter my UA Mileage Plus number. So, am I not entitled to the additional bag allowance as *G? Do I need to show the physical *G card or can I show my digital card if I am allowed the additional bag?

thanks
Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:59 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by washingtonian_2017
Hi,

i just booked ATH-JTR on OAL. When I try to enter my FF #, the only option I have is Miles&Bonus account. It doesn't allow me to enter my UA Mileage Plus number. So, am I not entitled to the additional bag allowance as *G? Do I need to show the physical *G card or can I show my digital card if I am allowed the additional bag?

thanks
OA is not a Star Alliance member, so you do not get any alliance/status benefits. It happens to share a FFP with Aegean, hence why you can only enter a M+B number.

See this thread for some rather more than light reading on the implications:
Is A3 using OA flight numbers to deny *A benefits?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by washingtonian_2017
Hi,

thanks
Washingtonian unfortunately albeit a subsidiary of A3, OA is not officially a *A member, and hence your benefits as *G do not carry over on flights operated by OA (even if they are A3 metal). So you do not collect MileagePlus miles, and you are not entitled to any of your usual *G benefits.

There is however a chance that you can actually get your bag checked for free: Is your OA flight a segment of a trip with the first one operated by A3? If yes, then you can do it. Even if you booked the two flights separately, this should still work out. Some time ago, when I was still SK*G, we had booked a flight ARN-ATH on A3, and then a couple of days later ATH-RHO on OA. Due to some unfortunate events we had to postpone our flight to ATH, and reschedule it on the same day as our ATH-RHO flight. So when checking in at ARN we asked at the check in counter if our luggage could be tagged directly to RHO, in order for us not to have to pick it up in ATH and recheck it. The agent at counter made a call, and then she said that there was no problem with that. No objections brought, no questions asked, despite me having one extra bag (due to my status as SK/*A gold).

If however your ATH-JTR flight is not (officially or unofficially) a segment of a larger trip, then normally only as an A3G are you entitled to a free bag. I wouldn't nevertheless completely rule out that they may unofficially let you check your bag. Given though that the charge for adding additional luggage is significantly higher at the airport than buying this service online, I would suggest that you contact them in advance to have this resolved, in order to avoid any unpleasant surprises.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:54 pm
formerly gantid

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Platinum elite, *G, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by East_and_West
Washingtonian unfortunately albeit a subsidiary of A3, OA is not officially a *A member, and hence your benefits as *G do not carry over on flights operated by OA (even if they are A3 metal). So you do not collect MileagePlus miles, and you are not entitled to any of your usual *G benefits.

There is however a chance that you can actually get your bag checked for free: Is your OA flight a segment of a trip with the first one operated by A3? If yes, then you can do it. Even if you booked the two flights separately, this should still work out. Some time ago, when I was still SK*G, we had booked a flight ARN-ATH on A3, and then a couple of days later ATH-RHO on OA. Due to some unfortunate events we had to postpone our flight to ATH, and reschedule it on the same day as our ATH-RHO flight. So when checking in at ARN we asked at the check in counter if our luggage could be tagged directly to RHO, in order for us not to have to pick it up in ATH and recheck it. The agent at counter made a call, and then she said that there was no problem with that. No objections brought, no questions asked, despite me having one extra bag (due to my status as SK/*A gold).

If however your ATH-JTR flight is not (officially or unofficially) a segment of a larger trip, then normally only as an A3G are you entitled to a free bag. I wouldn't nevertheless completely rule out that they may unofficially let you check your bag. Given though that the charge for adding additional luggage is significantly higher at the airport than buying this service online, I would suggest that you contact them in advance to have this resolved, in order to avoid any unpleasant surprises.

Thanks. It is not part of a larger itinerary, just a OW ATH-JTR. Since I just have one bag to be checked, I will buy the advance online booking for the bag.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Quick question, just to be sure. Does Aegean use the main Turkish Airlines lounge at IST?
Old Apr 5, 2018, 7:16 pm

Yes, it does!
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:09 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Thank KLouis, that's what I was hoping. Star Alliance's website shows Aegean as using the Millenium Lounge but I can't imagine it being anywhere near as good as the TK Lounge!

Old Apr 6, 2018, 12:59 pm

I admit that I never checked the lounge finder of the *A site. I simply went to the TK lounge and was let in. Mind you, last time was a few years back, so...
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:51 pm

Programs: A3 *G, HH Gold
The *A Site's lounge has the lounge access policy section that lets you put your in exact flying class and FF details to get exactly what lounges you are allowed to access. TK Lounge is always available. The Aegean Airlines listing under Millenium Lounge means you can use that lounge in addition to the TK Lounge where another *A flight may not be able too.
headingwest likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 1:35 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
Millenium lounge is a... :/ go to CIP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.