Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:36 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by jbfield
No, it will take a few days for the miles to credit on the A3 account and only then will the *G status be distributed into the StarNet system for other airlines to see.
More importantly, the actual Gold status will not begin until those miles post. i.e. 3 or 4 days after India-SIN. This means that the status miles for SIN to US will disappear into a 'black hole' and WILL NOT COUNT for re-qualification next year. This seems to be the only inconsistency with the program in terms of mile posting dates being used rather than actual flight dates.

That's a LOT of miles to lose. If they are important to him, he might want to buy at least 550 status miles now (or do a quick mileage run). He could buy 1000 Tier miles for 100 Euro and this would mean he would be upgraded to Gold approx. three days after arrival in India and give him the benefit of Lounge access in India AND SIN on the way home (assuming he's in India for at least 3 or 4 days) and would mean those SIN-US miles would count for renewal - as well as the India-SIN ones! You don't mention the exact route but if he's in SQ PEY all the way, that's got to be around 11000 miles towards renewal and two lounge accesses, all for 100 Euro.

Last edited by Knobbgb; Nov 22, 2017 at 12:47 am
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
More importantly, the actual Gold status will not begin until those miles post. i.e. 3 or 4 days after India-SIN. This means that the status miles for SIN to US will disappear into a 'black hole' and WILL NOT COUNT for re-qualification next year. This seems to be the only inconsistency with the program in terms of mile posting dates being used rather than actual flight dates.
When I qualified for Gold in 2016, I thought the same would happen but A3 seems to have changed the system. The actual status took some time to show in the system but the date of the status was based on when the miles were earned so no miles were lost. This was not the case though when I reached silver from blue 2 years ago. The status was upgraded in the system after 3 days and the miles in between the dates of the qualifying flight and the status upgrade got lost.

Last edited by nikolask; Nov 22, 2017 at 1:19 am
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:16 am

Hello!
In the fare conditions, a sentence like "(...) FOR VCLSOW TYPE FARES (...)" means that I'm buying a V class fare, right?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by nikolask
When I qualified for Gold in 2016, I thought the same would happen but A3 seems to have changed the system. The actual status took some time to show in the system but the date of the status was based on when the miles were earned so no miles were lost. This was not the case though when I reached silver from blue 2 years ago. The status was upgraded in the system after 3 days and the miles in between the dates of the qualifying flight and the status upgrade got lost.
Well I'm glad that's changed! Although too late for me. I lost a flight (only 900 miles) by flying the day after my Gold qualification flight, but that was three years ago. The OP should still consider what might happen though - after all I'm assuming the follow on flight back to the US is on the SAME DAY as the qualifying flight. Perhaps a call to A3 would be in order...
Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: SK, A3, QR
I guess it wouldn't grant OP lounge access, but s/he could always retro-claim if some miles do not show. Surely, miles do not have to be lost, just because the system is reconfiguring FFP status.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
This discussion about the mileage in between a qualifying flight and the status activation is interesting.

Let's say I have 3K miles and 2 A3/OA segments (Blue status). I then take an SAS Plus flight, ARN-HKG, which gives me 10K miles and is enough to bump me up to Silver. 3 days later I take the return leg (another 10K) but the Silver status hasn't yet gone through. A couple of days after the return flight, the Silver status earned from ARN-HKG becomes live.

If the system works as nikolask said, then I would be OK - the 10K miles from HKG-ARN would count towards my Gold qualification. However, if the system still works as Knobbgb stated, my 10K miles could go into a black hole and wouldn't count for qualification.

I actually have 6 days between the 2 legs on the HKG flight I've booked so I hope I'll be okay whichever way it works!
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by yurtripper
This discussion about the mileage in between a qualifying flight and the status activation is interesting.

If the system works as nikolask said, then I would be OK - the 10K miles from HKG-ARN would count towards my Gold qualification. However, if the system still works as Knobbgb stated, my 10K miles could go into a black hole and wouldn't count for qualification.
!
It's a different situation with Silver. the miles left over after earning Silver were always carried over so nothing would be lost. In any case, if what nikolask says is correct, the situation has changed anyway.
yurtripper likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by yurtripper

Let's say I have 3K miles and 2 A3/OA segments (Blue status). I then take an SAS Plus flight, ARN-HKG, which gives me 10K miles and is enough to bump me up to Silver. 3 days later I take the return leg (another 10K) but the Silver status hasn't yet gone through. A couple of days after the return flight, the Silver status earned from ARN-HKG becomes live.

I actually have 6 days between the 2 legs on the HKG flight I've booked so I hope I'll be okay whichever way it works!
I can help you with that as I'm doing the exact same route, although in different situation. I did my 4 A3/OA segments in October, so needed a little over 9,000 miles to renew my Gold status before 23/11. I booked return SAS Plus HEL-HKG - outbound was Monday, on the 20th and the miles posted to M&B yesterday, the 22nd. I noticed that M&B does updates not overnight but very close to noon - either at 10:30 or 11:30 Athens time. Since the miles posted before the cutoff date of 23/11, I avoided the risk of losing the Gold status and being reinstated when the miles did post. My inbound segments are 6 days later - just like yours - on Monday, the 27th, so now that I've requalified for Gold for 2018, I'll be almost done with status for 2019 minus the 4 A3/OA segments, which I'll have plenty of time to complete before 23/11/2018. Just for your information, the ARN-HKG segment in SAS Plus credits 10,252 M&B miles. M&B has attractive earn rates for SAS and I've only flown them in Y until now, where I've been quite disappointed but Premium Economy is quite a decent product and I got a good deal, so I may be using them again. I was concerned that if the outbound miles didn't credit in time for my inbound trip and I lose my Gold status, I'll have trouble with lounge access but then I remembered that SAS Plus provides lounge access, so I would have been covered either way.
yurtripper likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: LH SEN
Flight on last day of status

Hi!

My friend can qualify for A3*S if he gets "2,253 Tier miles regardless of the partner airline Until 20/12/2017".

He will get the required amount of miles, however the last qualifying flight will take place on December 20th. So the miles will be accumulated several days later.

Does anybody know, if to get status miles need just to be flown or need to be accumulated by 20/12.2017?

From my research it seems that at worst he needs to call A3 Infoline. But he will gain status. Anybody can confirm?

Thanks for your help

Regards
Jakub

Last edited by kuba1234; Nov 23, 2017 at 6:51 am
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kuba1234
Hi!

My friend can qualify for A3*S if he gets "2,253 Tier miles regardless of the partner airline Until 20/12/2017".

He will get the required amount of miles, however the last qualifying flight will take place on December 20th. So the miles will be accumulated several days later.

Does anybody know, if to get status miles need just to be flown or need to be accumulated by 20/12.2017?

From my research it seems that at worst he needs to call A3 Infoline. But he will gain status. Anybody can confirm?

Thanks for your help

Regards
Jakub

What matters is the departure time and date of the flight. So if his flight departs on the 20th December then that is date that it will show on the statement (or eventually will). It may, however, take a couple of days for the system to catch up, so if things don't look right on the 21st Dec, he should wait a day or so.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: oneworld *A,Nexus/GE
Hi all, Just want to clarify and try to reach star gold, I will need 24,000 for silver and an other 48,000 tier miles regardless which airline , so is 72,000 all together. And the 48,000 is calculated from I reach silver for 1 year. Thank in advance.

Last edited by ncncyoo; Nov 24, 2017 at 10:26 pm Reason: Found possible solution
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: oneworld *A,Nexus/GE
Never mind I think I got the answer, Very difficult from the beginning,
Old Nov 25, 2017, 10:08 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Does have anyone had experience with the service on flights from and to Yerevan ? In both Y and C please, is it an expedited meal ? Has the timing of those is really weird and at a time where few people might want to eat, I wonder what A3 is proposing.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:58 am

No experience with Yerevan, sorry. But I would love to

Do you know if the miles are per segment?
Meaning, if I buy a ZRH-FRA-LUX, should I ask WhereToCredit for ZRH-FRA + FRA-LUX, or for ZRH-LUX ?
Thanks!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:58 am

Miles are per segment, that's why you always should try to fly big detours with many segment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.