Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:52 pm

Yeah I know it was 5 months ago they still have the status till the end of the year but I am talking beyond that there has to be something we could do
Old Mar 27, 2015, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
You do know that nothing UA does has much to do with the customer, just the $$$. Sure there's some sweet deal between the suits and Hertz.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:09 pm

Yeah I know but it's horrible since that is part of what I was paying the annual fee for

Does anyone know another way to keep the avis presidential status

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 27, 2015 at 7:38 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by D98lakefan
Yeah I know but it's horrible since that is part of what I was paying the annual fee for

Does anyone know another way to keep the avis presidential status
Quite honestly, it isn't much of a loss. You can status match to National, and have a fairly equivalent programme to use there. Two of my six rentals this year have been with Avis, and it really hasn't been much of a difference. The "pick your car" setup is nice, I've found usually a mix between SUVs, mid-size and large cars in the aisle, and they've all been fairly new. At the end of the day: A car is a car.

On an unrelated side note, did any one get the giant "Luxury Hotel" book this year? Or has it been, finally, replaced with the booklet and a website?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by WIRunner
On an unrelated side note, did any one get the giant "Luxury Hotel" book this year? Or has it been, finally, replaced with the booklet and a website?
I received only that booklet thing, which was not so impressive. I would've been just as happy to get a letter, explaining the website. The old book was wasteful but provided some info. This new item is full of. . .nothing really.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Q

I'm debating what to do with this card. I've stopped chasing UA status and pretty much all but stopped flying UA all together since 3/1. I'll never make 1K again because of the PQD spend. With the RDM earn cut, plat elite has just too high of a incremental cost relative to what I get from my earned MM gold status.

I'm MM gold elite so that gives me free bags etc. The earn of this card on non-UA is mediocre at best especially when I consider that there is the commitment to the points going to UA where they're likely planning their next deval. A Chase Ultimate Rewards card makes more sense because I don't need to bank the points to a program and that gives somewhat of a hedge from devals.

If I were still chasing UA elite then this card would be invaluable because of the PQD waiver but I just don't see the value other than the club access...and I could get that from the UA club card with the extre miles earn (1.5 miles per $) on the extra spend.

What am I missing?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
There was a code to extend your top Avis status as well, despite the change, but had to be done by 12/31/14
Actually, that was to sign up for Avis President's Club if you hadn't already. If you'd already linked your accounts you didn't need to do anything.

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Quite honestly, it isn't much of a loss. You can status match to National, and have a fairly equivalent programme to use there. Two of my six rentals this year have been with Avis, and it really hasn't been much of a difference. The "pick your car" setup is nice, I've found usually a mix between SUVs, mid-size and large cars in the aisle, and they've all been fairly new. At the end of the day: A car is a car.
I'm with the folks saying this is a significant loss of value to the Presidential Plus benefits. It's the Hertz benefit that will be crappy. I've gotten great upgrades with Avis President's as long as I rent an Intermediate and above. I remember getting in my car at LAS and thinking that it just seemed like a normal car so I went back to the little desk in the parking lot and the agent told me, "Oh no, no, you're President's, that car won't do. Let me get you a real car."

Originally Posted by Renard
I'm debating what to do with this card. I've stopped chasing UA status and pretty much all but stopped flying UA all together since 3/1. I'll never make 1K again because of the PQD spend. With the RDM earn cut, plat elite has just too high of a incremental cost relative to what I get from my earned MM gold status.
[snip]
What am I missing?
You're not missing anything, really. The reason to keep this card is if you want United Club access and PQMs or the PQD waiver up to Platinum. If you don't need both, this is not the card for you. I'd consider switching myself except I figure if I start flying UA a lot again I could use the PQD waiver and the card isn't open to new members so I figured I'd hang on to it.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
This card became virtually useless once 1K status could not be achieved via Spending.

How is national in terms of upgrades? Does anyone know if the status match is forever or for 1 year?

I'm used to getting BMW's 80% of the time @ avis, and Cadillac 20% of the time.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
This card became virtually useless once 1K status could not be achieved via Spending.

How is national in terms of upgrades? Does anyone know if the status match is forever or for 1 year?

I'm used to getting BMW's 80% of the time @ avis, and Cadillac 20% of the time.
National does not offer "upgrades" - they put a selection of cars on their aisle for Emerald or Emerald Executive members to pick what they want. Some stations offer very nice cars depending on their booking load, while others offer a consistent selection of crap...but the chance of going to the manager and asking for something nicer when there are plenty of cars on the aisle will generally fall on deaf ears unless you're asking for a specific car model which is within the classification range of what's already out on the aisle.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:34 pm

I've had very good experiences with National and like the idea of being able to pick my car. In the few cases where I was not happy, I asked the manager and they had something brought around although I had to wait 15 minutes.

The match is only good for a year.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:47 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
The problem is that Hertz is not a benefit with any real value now. It was easy to get before, and the stations NEVER really honor it. Avis, ESPECIALLY when traveling internationally, LOVE Presidents Club members. Its a real loss to not have it any more, and it devalues the card. :-(
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:10 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by joelfreak
Avis, ESPECIALLY when traveling internationally, LOVE Presidents Club members.
Yes, I found that whenever you start complaining to international AVIS's that the U.S. gives me this & that they will match it. So basically its up to your jargon.

More than half of the times, the manager even got out of his office to shake my hand appreciating our business.

The whole time I'm like I rent with Avis only 5 times or so a year and I pay at most $35/day. (still getting BMW's)
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lensman
I'm with the folks saying this is a significant loss of value to the Presidential Plus benefits. It's the Hertz benefit that will be crappy. I've gotten great upgrades with Avis President's as long as I rent an Intermediate and above. I remember getting in my car at LAS and thinking that it just seemed like a normal car so I went back to the little desk in the parking lot and the agent told me, "Oh no, no, you're President's, that car won't do. Let me get you a real car."
I've only had that happen at a few stations. At MKE I seem to get the same class that I get or a Captiva. The switch to National at least lets me pick what colour Captiva I want to get for the weekend.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: United Premiere 1K, SW Companion, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime, Hertz Presidents Circle
I have what most would consider a "Good problem" if there is such a thing! Lucky enough to have the legacy PP card and would not think of getting rid of it as we use it for our business and amass tons of miles. (and live in Houston so flight choices are great). Now my "problem" is that I am also amassing tons of flexible PQM's - currently over half a million of them! At 75K a year to keep plat status for myself...I am going to start losing at least some of them pretty soon as they only have a 3 year lifespan. I assume I have no other options but figured I'd ask you pros out there just in case!
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I asked if I could apply some to my husband's account and was told no. This was about 2 or 3 years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.