Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Old Jan 5, 15, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP cards 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming years desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesnt apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesnt apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Old Dec 16, 14, 11:41 am
  #166  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CLE
Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 3,603
Originally Posted by joelfreak
I have 2 cards (Pd and PP) which BOTH provide UC access. It is my understanding that a member cannot have 2 memberships, although I am willing to attempt to have them. I have asked that as I have 2 memberships being paid for by me being a member of a Chase card, that Chase waive part of the AF of the PP card as they have for others that are/were members by another method.
Other than the sign up bonus, why have both cards? I don't understand why you would get/both cards with the high annual fee on both for a benefit you can't use.
manneca is offline  
Old Dec 16, 14, 12:02 pm
  #167  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CLE
Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 3,603
Great! I called UA to find out when my miles expire so I can use them. The agent said she doesn't know. She checked back and can't find anything more than the number of FlexPQM as of 12/1/2012.

UGH.
manneca is offline  
Old Dec 16, 14, 1:12 pm
  #168  
RNE
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: JZRO
Posts: 9,113
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I don't think banking regulations prhibit a retetion bonus. They do seem to affect what banks can offer as a package of benefits that come along with a card.
The first rep I spoke to at Chase sure thought the regulation applied.

Originally Posted by manneca
Other than the sign up bonus, why have both cards? I don't understand why you would get/both cards with the high annual fee on both for a benefit you can't use.
The benefits go further than Club access. The Presidential Plus card grants waivers for the 4-segments and PQD qualifications, whereas the Club Card earns 1.5 miles/dollar spent. So, one may want to have the PP card, but not use it for spend, instead using the Club card for that.
RNE is offline  
Old Dec 16, 14, 1:29 pm
  #169  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SEA or BGR, Lower Earth Orbit
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 17,147
Originally Posted by RNE
The benefits go further than Club access. The Presidential Plus card grants waivers for the 4-segments and PQD qualifications, whereas the Club Card earns 1.5 miles/dollar spent. So, one may want to have the PP card, but not use it for spend, instead using the Club card for that.
I understand the benefit of having the PPMC, it has a lot more benefits than the Club Card. But instead of having both, wouldn't it make more sense to have a Sapphire Preferred (or Ink) and just dump the points where needed? Or a card that has a 2% cashback? (This can surely be debated ad nauseum, but I'm still having trouble working out the math behind it to make it advantageous.)
WIRunner is offline  
Old Dec 16, 14, 4:17 pm
  #170  
RNE
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: JZRO
Posts: 9,113
Originally Posted by WIRunner
I understand the benefit of having the PPMC, it has a lot more benefits than the Club Card. But instead of having both, wouldn't it make more sense to have a Sapphire Preferred (or Ink) and just dump the points where needed? Or a card that has a 2% cashback? (This can surely be debated ad nauseum, but I'm still having trouble working out the math behind it to make it advantageous.)
I get where you're coming from: Why get 1.5 miles/dollar when you can get 2? And I agree with you. Indeed, I have a CSP that I use along with my Presidential Plus card, but only for categories that give me 2 miles/dollar. Same thing with my Freedom card: category spend. I guess it's conceivable that someone with a really high non-category spendand who doesn't need FPQMsmight find putting that high spend on the Club card is worth its annual fee in addition to the PP card's annual fee. But I admit that happenstance is pretty tortured.
RNE is offline  
Old Dec 17, 14, 8:06 am
  #171  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CLE
Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 3,603
Originally Posted by RNE
The first rep I spoke to at Chase sure thought the regulation applied.


The benefits go further than Club access. The Presidential Plus card grants waivers for the 4-segments and PQD qualifications, whereas the Club Card earns 1.5 miles/dollar spent. So, one may want to have the PP card, but not use it for spend, instead using the Club card for that.
But the Explorer Card gives 2 miles/dollar. The Explorer Card doesn't give premier access, but the PP card does. I still can't see why someone would pay to have both cards.
manneca is offline  
Old Dec 17, 14, 8:16 am
  #172  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SEA or BGR, Lower Earth Orbit
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 17,147
Originally Posted by manneca
But the Explorer Card gives 2 miles/dollar. The Explorer Card doesn't give premier access, but the PP card does. I still can't see why someone would pay to have both cards.
The exploree gives 1:$1. On regular purchases, 2:$1 on united purchases
WIRunner is offline  
Old Dec 17, 14, 2:14 pm
  #173  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.9MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 63,218
Originally Posted by RNE
.... The benefits go further than Club access. The Presidential Plus card grants waivers for the 4-segments and PQD qualifications, whereas the Club Card earns 1.5 miles/dollar spent. So, one may want to have the PP card, but not use it for spend, instead using the Club card for that.
The Club card also provides 4-seg waiver and the PQD waiver (with $25K spend). So the Club has higher RDMs but higher spend requirement for PQD waiver --- and PP has FPQMs (and is not available for new customers).
Both cards has Premier Access and 2 bag waiver.

At the time I signed up, I preferred the higher RDM over the FPQMs.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Dec 17, 14, 2:51 pm
  #174  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 146
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The Club card also provides 4-seg waiver and the PQD waiver (with $25K spend). So the Club has higher RDMs but higher spend requirement for PQD waiver --- and PP has FPQMs (and is not available for new customers).
Both cards has Premier Access and 2 bag waiver.

At the time I signed up, I preferred the higher RDM over the FPQMs.
what do you they mean by "new customers?" i've had a United mileage plus account since I was a small kid. Am I able to qualify for Presidential Plus? I currently have explorer card.
EWRtoSFO is offline  
Old Dec 17, 14, 3:03 pm
  #175  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SEA or BGR, Lower Earth Orbit
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 17,147
Originally Posted by EWRtoSFO
what do you they mean by "new customers?" i've had a United mileage plus account since I was a small kid. Am I able to qualify for Presidential Plus? I currently have explorer card.
No, Chase no longer offers this credit card. It was available primarily when Continental was still flying. Shortly after everything was combined they stopped taking new applications. The only "premier" card available is the United Club Card.
WIRunner is offline  
Old Dec 17, 14, 3:03 pm
  #176  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Posts: 499
Originally Posted by EWRtoSFO
what do you they mean by "new customers?" i've had a United mileage plus account since I was a small kid. Am I able to qualify for Presidential Plus? I currently have explorer card.
He is referring to new customers of the Presidential Plus Credit Card. Chase and UA no longer offer this card, so if you don't already have it, you cannot get it. It's not a matter of qualifying per se, it's a matter of it not being offered.
USHPNWDLUA is offline  
Old Dec 17, 14, 3:14 pm
  #177  
RNE
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: JZRO
Posts: 9,113
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
At the time I signed up, I preferred the higher RDM over the FPQMs.
Gotcha. At the time I signed up, FEQMs were the only option.

Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA
He is referring to new customers of the Presidential Plus Credit Card. Chase and UA no longer offer this card, so if you don't already have it, you cannot get it. It's not a matter of qualifying per se, it's a matter of it not being offered.
Yet we have had at least one anecdotal account that Chase did in fact issue the Presidential Plus card to someone this year.
RNE is offline  
Old Dec 17, 14, 3:17 pm
  #178  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.9MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 63,218
Originally Posted by RNE
... Yet we have had at least one anecdotal account that Chase did in fact issue the Presidential Plus card to someone this year.
Who reported also that loophole had been closed so a repeat will probably not happen. Apparently an old "zombie" link that had not been removed but has since been closed.

for reference
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Originally Posted by RNE
Yes, ctownflyer has gotten a Presidential Plus card after they were officially unavailable. I know him personally and can vouch for his veracity.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23833777-post1906.html
Was due to a zombie link that no longer works.
Though there may be other zombie links still out there.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 17, 14 at 3:27 pm Reason: Reference previous posting
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Dec 17, 14, 4:33 pm
  #179  
RNE
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: JZRO
Posts: 9,113
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Who reported also that loophole had been closed so a repeat will probably not happen. Apparently an old "zombie" link that had not been removed but has since been closed.
The fact Chase both approved and issued a Presidential Plus credit card to a new customer is proof Chase is willing to do so; it could have simply denied the application had it not wanted to. Yes, the zombie link may be exorcised now, but the fact remains Chase issued a new PP card and therefore could possibly do so again under certain (unknown) circumstances.

RNE, not saying this is likely, merely possible.
RNE is offline  
Old Dec 17, 14, 7:00 pm
  #180  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SEA or BGR, Lower Earth Orbit
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 17,147
Originally Posted by RNE
The fact Chase both approved and issued a Presidential Plus credit card to a new customer is proof Chase is willing to do so; it could have simply denied the application had it not wanted to. Yes, the zombie link may be exorcised now, but the fact remains Chase issued a new PP card and therefore could possibly do so again under certain (unknown) circumstances.

RNE, not saying this is likely, merely possible.
I think with the zombie link it was all automated. If the offer wasn't expired, I could see it going through without any human interaction. Chase has the ability to issue new account numbers, as evidenced by getting two new PPMCs over the past year due the Home Depot and Target breeches.

The short of it: someone could have forgotten to shut off the offer for new customers
WIRunner is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread