Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by daron4000
I tried to clear my MP number unsuccessfully but it continued to recognize my Silver status. I then went back and replaced my MP # with ANA non-status # and the buy-up dropped back down to $224. The website continued to show the same inventory as in both previous situations. I accepted the lower price offer.
Not sure if someone already made this observation, but this does sound like the first viable workaround for elites considering a buy-up. Assuming the site isn't smart enough to lose your E+ seat assignment when you change to the ANA #.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by UA_Sycophant
Not sure to what extent AS tries to collect the extra cash from willing passengers before clearing elites.
to no extent at all, unless said passengers are willing to buy up to the prevailing F fare in the market, whether it's offered as P, F, or some other bucket. otherwise, they ain't getting a cheap offer until T-24, and then only if U remains >0.

AS has the best upgrade system of all the airlines, IMO. It's transparent in that you can see the inventory on their website or on EF, the system works as advertised, and there's a fair offer made to no-status passenger for remaining F seats at OLCI that is distance based...not based on the whims of inventory management.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
I have a LHR->SFO leg on Oct 30. Currently in E+ on a U fare, waitlisted for C. Have received two cash offers so far when I check my reservations:

Five days ago, F offered for about $2700 (note double upgrade), two F seats available - declined

Today the F offer is still there, but now it's $10,700. Still two F seats available.

This is an almost full flight in C, but I'm reasonably happy with E+ seating if I don't clear, as it's 3-3-3. Still $2700 was a pretty good offer, relatively...
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:47 pm

My no-status neighbor got your RPU waitlisted upgrade ...

Originally Posted by fjfv19
6th fail on p.s. this year on tomorrow's JFK-SFO. My girlfriend will be enjoying my J seat while I sit in E+ yet again. R never appeared at T-24, or at any point. I give up.

p.s. is just a raging TOD Fest, to the point where it's actually a farce. 4 of us are on JFK-SFO tomorrow. I'm already in J. Gold, offered $399 at check-in to upgrade. His fiancée, GM, offered $269 at check-in. My girlfriend, waitlisted on RPU, offered nothing. It went from 22/28 at check-in to booked full in J in a few hours. This is the new UA.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by StingWest
I have a LHR->SFO leg on Oct 30. Currently in E+ on a U fare, waitlisted for C. Have received two cash offers so far when I check my reservations:

Five days ago, F offered for about $2700 (note double upgrade), two F seats available - declined

Today the F offer is still there, but now it's $10,700. Still two F seats available.

This is an almost full flight in C, but I'm reasonably happy with E+ seating if I don't clear, as it's 3-3-3. Still $2700 was a pretty good offer, relatively...
$2700 economy to F definitely would have had me considering the offer on a flight that length
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
$2700 economy to F definitely would have had me considering the offer on a flight that length
...and today it's down to $2349!

I wonder if this is a mistake: would I really be upgraded to GF, or just BF. I also wonder if I would get the $300 upgrade fee (+20k miles) back that I paid to waitlist for business!?)
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
...and today it's down to $2349!

I wonder if this is a mistake: would I really be upgraded to GF, or just BF. I also wonder if I would get the $300 upgrade fee (+20k miles) back that I paid to waitlist for business!?)
If it says Global First, I think you would get the double upgrade. If you take the offer, make sure to take the screenshot first!

You would be entitled to get your miles and cash back, but it might take a few phone calls/e-mails.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
11-4-14
DEN-MSP-DEN

Q fare offered buy-up to F during purchase for $69 each way. Declined and UG offer is now showing $168 each way on my reservation.

Last edited by limey1K; Oct 21, 2014 at 11:43 am Reason: Fare code correction
Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
If it says Global First, I think you would get the double upgrade. If you take the offer, make sure to take the screenshot first!

You would be entitled to get your miles and cash back, but it might take a few phone calls/e-mails.
I took it (big splurge for me), and got the double-upgrade to First (A)!

Forgot that I had also had paid the $100 UK departure tax in advance. The upgraded price included the $200 UK departure tax to first, so if I get my original upgrade fee, tax, and miles back, I would do the calculation as:

$2350 double upgrade to First from Coach
less: 300 already paid in advance to waitlist Coach->Business (U fare)
less: 100 departure tax paid in advance for the waitlist
less: 400 what I value 20,000 miles at

Net $1550 <- not bad!

I have the screen shots and will fight for the refund of fees and miles later, if necessary
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:22 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K

Forgot that I had also had paid the $100 UK departure tax in advance. The upgraded price included the $200 UK departure tax to first, so if I get my original upgrade fee, tax, and miles back, I would do the calculation as:

Net $1550 <- not bad!

I have the screen shots and will fight for the refund of fees and miles later, if necessary
Congrats! That seems like a great buy-up!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:15 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold

Net $1550 <- not bad!

Fight fiercely (if you need to).
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status

Net $1550 <- not bad!
It's possible I'm just stupid (it wouldn't be the first time I've been called that...today), but I'm not sure I understand how you rationalize the cost this way.

You paid $2350 for the upgrade. The $300 U fare and the $100 departure tax are essentially just prepayments against the $2350.

You could argue, that the miles you saved were worth something, since you were definitely going to spend the miles, but you're still out of pocket $2350 to upgrade from Y to F.

Again, I may be missing your point, and that's a nice deal to get to F, but it's not $1550 "net".

Greg
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Hopefully the buy-up gods will be with you and you'll also accrue miles based on the int'l A fare.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by greg99
You paid $2350 for the upgrade. The $300 U fare and the $100 departure tax are essentially just prepayments against the $2350.

You could argue, that the miles you saved were worth something, since you were definitely going to spend the miles, but you're still out of pocket $2350 to upgrade from Y to F.

Again, I may be missing your point, and that's a nice deal to get to F, but it's not $1550 "net".

Greg
Hi Greg

Yes, I see what you mean.

Well, I called last night and yes the $300 and $100 are being refunded. I already got the 20,000 miles back. So the $2350 really did replace the already-paid upgrade fees and miles. The (nice) agent also mentioned that this would happen automatically after the segment was flown, but I had noticed a little message "R class requested" still there, right next to my First designation, and didn't want to take the chance that my "upgrade" (downgrade) to business would happen on the day

It's now showing a clean First (A) - hopefully I'll get the miles bonus for this fare class too.

Regarding the miles refund, I think 2c a mile is a good valuation, as I use them on international premium class flights, and am way ahead of the fare I would otherwise pay, even for an upgraded coach ticket.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: UA GS MM SPG Platinum (Lifetime Platinum)
SNA-ORD in 3 weeks. RPUs are in (I sti have all of them since not a single one or GPU has cleared all year). 6 seats available for purchase on the way out, 7 on the return and $499 eah way to upgrade. I guarantee at the kiosk it wi be around $199 each way and my instruments will again fail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.