Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:45 am

EWR-FLL. Saw an offer of 178 per person for EWR-FLL, and 89 per person on the return. I declined. Though very tempting. Florida is always booked as a 3 hour flight but its always between 2 and 2.5 hours.

What would you guys do? Worth it? I will be silver status then and maybe I'll get an upgrade. Was thinking of grabbing the 89 dollar seat upgrade.

Its amazing. They offer these upsells, but you can also use 20k miles and pay 75 dollars for the same thing.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
JFK-SFO
1K award ticket (XN)
$379 buy-up offer post check-in
Not accepted
This flight was booked 16/28 in BF at T-24. Six of the BF seats have disappeared. No one is getting upgraded.

Originally Posted by EWRtoSFO
EWR-FLL. Saw an offer of 178 per person for EWR-FLL, and 89 per person on the return. I declined. Though very tempting. Florida is always booked as a 3 hour flight but its always between 2 and 2.5 hours.
For a non-status passenger, the $89 is a pretty good deal. Free bag check and cuts in all the lines.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓

What would you guys do? Worth it? I will be silver status then and maybe I'll get an upgrade. Was thinking of grabbing the 89 dollar seat upgrade.

Its amazing. They offer these upsells, but you can also use 20k miles and pay 75 dollars for the same thing.
I would snag that return for certain. Even the EWR-FLL for 178 is not so bad, but I would maybe hold off on that one, but certainly not the FLL-EWR for $89.... I assume you will book into P... and as Kacee says, you get a free additional bag, first class seating, priority access, and additional award miles and PQM's for the first class booking class (P class, I am assuming).
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
JFK-SFO
1K award ticket (XN)
Not accepted
This flight was booked 16/28 in BF at T-24. Six of the BF seats have disappeared. No one is getting upgraded.

For a non-status passenger, the $89 is a pretty good deal. Free bag check and cuts in all the lines.
what about 616.00 total for 2 passengers both ways? worth it?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
what about 616.00 total for 2 passengers both ways? worth it?
Only you can answer that, but I agree with jjmoore and Kacee about the return. If you each check one bag, it equals roughly $25/per hour of flight time, which is a very good deal.

$89-$25 for bag, $64 divided by 2.5 hours of flight time=$25.6/hr.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:36 am

Thanks for all the help. I grabbed the return flight. I will be a silver for the outbound flight and hopefully we will get upgraded. 6:45 am flight out of EWR to floriday on a friday. hopefully not crowded with global servicers.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:22 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
PVG-ORD

BF (P) to GF

1 seat left at check-in, $4999.00

Seems like a relative bargain compared to the same price for SIN-NRT mentioned above...So I took it.

Kidding.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:37 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler

Kidding.
A fool and his money .....

OK, had me going there
Old Nov 1, 2014, 8:07 am

DEN-IAD
Q fare
$156 buy up offered post check in, booked to Z fare
Accepted

19 of 20 seats were sold, I had a crap E+ seat, so it was an easy decision.

Interestingly enough, before check in, upgrading into the same seat via SDC would have cost me $700.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
DEN-IAD
Q fare
$156 buy up offered post check in, booked to Z fare
Accepted

19 of 20 seats were sold, I had a crap E+ seat, so it was an easy decision.

Interestingly enough, before check in, upgrading into the same seat via SDC would have cost me $700.
Maybe I am misunderstanding your nomenclature...

But, how do you upgrade in to an F seat using SDC?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Maybe I am misunderstanding your nomenclature...

But, how do you upgrade in to an F seat using SDC?
Sorry if I used the wrong terminology. I am flying SFO-DEN-IAD tomorrow. I was upgraded on the first leg 3 days earlier via a CPU. An hour before check in started, I decided to see how much it would cost to change my flight to First using the change flight function, as there was one unsold seat in F on the DEN flight. $700 was too steep, so I waited until OLCI where I got the 159 offer for the DEN leg.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JFK-SFO
1K award ticket (XN)
Not accepted
Trying to understand:
At T-24 it there were 12 BF seats left (16/28). Then 6 disappeared, e.g. it was 22/28. So, there were still 6 seats left, but no u/gs ?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Trying to understand:
At T-24 it there were 12 BF seats left (16/28). Then 6 disappeared, e.g. it was 22/28. So, there were still 6 seats left, but no u/gs ?
Yes that was written a few hours prior to departure, at which point BF was booked 22/28, but still no pax showed as upgraded.

Ultimate one pax was upgraded.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Yes that was written a few hours prior to departure, at which point BF was booked 22/28, but still no pax showed as upgraded.

Ultimate one pax was upgraded.
So 11/12 went to TODs basically? Wow.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
Sorry if I used the wrong terminology. I am flying SFO-DEN-IAD tomorrow. I was upgraded on the first leg 3 days earlier via a CPU. An hour before check in started, I decided to see how much it would cost to change my flight to First using the change flight function, as there was one unsold seat in F on the DEN flight. $700 was too steep, so I waited until OLCI where I got the 159 offer for the DEN leg.
Got it. I think that is just 'Change Flight', but it may have a different name.

I have never tried what you did - I'll have to play with it to check out the results it offers.

Did the $700 include a change fee? Or were you on a refundable / full fare ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.