Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Bonehead
That's my point...I'm assuming that an "M" would be a larger differential.
Yes, an M would be hundreds more than a P. And would book into PN.

I think there are at least four potential buy-up pricing models that may be applied to a given reservation:

1. Buy-up to full F/J.
2. Buy-up to Y/B/M.
3. Buy-up to UP/UPDI.
4. Random upgrade price, e.g., $299 on ps, $839 on TPAC, etc.

The gross unfairness referenced in this thread is that in many instances elites don't seem to get #4 (or if they do, it's at a higher price than what non-elites are offered).
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Kacee

I think there are at least four potential buy-up pricing models that may be applied to a given reservation:

1. Buy-up to full F/J.
2. Buy-up to Y/B/M.
3. Buy-up to UP/UPDI.

The gross unfairness referenced in this thread is that in many instances elites don't seem to get #4 (or if they do, it's at a higher price than what non-elites are offered).
To add to this... the other gripe I have is that when you purchase a buy-up, you never know what booking class you are booking into until after the transaction is complete. I would like to know if the $200 for BOS-DEN buy-up is into P or into M (via PN)... that makes a difference in PQS, PQM, and award mileage accrual.... luckily when I purchased up on this one, it was into P and I got 150% award mileage, PQD, and PQS... which was more worthwhile than PN, which strictly gets me into first with no other benefit.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond

1. Buy-up to full F/J.
2. Buy-up to Y/B/M.
3. Buy-up to UP/UPDI.

You do see that I was responding to a specific hypothesis offered by a previous poster (whom I quoted), right?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Bonehead
You do see that I was responding to a specific hypothesis offered by a previous poster (whom I quoted), right?
I did not disagree with you anywhere.

I do not buy mduell's hypothesis, at least not as a comprehensive explanation, either.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I had an interesting offer to "buy up" to GF from a Z fare using 30k miles + $600 from ORD - SIN, and on the return from NRT to IAD it was $350 + 30k. I then switched my NRT - SIN flight to the next day and now it is $600 + 30k for ORd-NRT, $75 + 15k for NRT-SIN, and NRT-IAD is still $350 + 30k. When I called GS about the buy ups she told me that she only sees $600 + 30k each way when she is logged in to my account - which is what I was expecting. So, she basically didn't believe me - so I took a screen shot and sent it to them for reasearch... My point for bringing this all up is that UA systems do some weird things some times - and attributing intent / logic to it can be dangerous lol... That being said - I do think - IMO - that UA offers non-elites better buy up options than it does to its own elites to get people to try the product...
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I had an interesting offer to "buy up" to GF from a Z fare using 30k miles + $600 from ORD - SIN, and on the return from NRT to IAD it was $350 + 30k. I then switched my NRT - SIN flight to the next day and now it is $600 + 30k for ORd-NRT, $75 + 15k for NRT-SIN, and NRT-IAD is still $350 + 30k. When I called GS about the buy ups she told me that she only sees $600 + 30k each way when she is logged in to my account - which is what I was expecting.
That is really odd. Don't think I've ever heard of a discounted points upgrade being offered.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:18 pm

That is really odd. Don't think I've ever heard of a discounted points upgrade being offered.
Check it out - I wanted them to honor the $600 and 30k all the way to SIN...

Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
SNA-DEN
Q
$119 at checkin
32 customers eligible for upgrade
1 F seat available

DEN-SLC
S
$59 at checkin
12 customers eligible for upgrade
1 F seat available

Declined both (though both are still available on the mobile app). Currently sitting at #5 and and #3 on the list, so more segments in Y for me..... Thought I had a decent chance as a Plat seeing as these are Sunday evening flights....

Sometimes I get this feeling that UA is not respecting my status at all for CPUs. Standing in line at SFO yesterday I saw a Gold that was in F. Now of course, she could have bought an F fare, or bought a TOD, or bought a Y/B fare...but it just feels like I was jumped in the CPU queue. I think my UG rate this year as a Plat is worse than it was as a Gold the previous year.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
I have proven a few times that I have been upgraded as a 1k behind golds and plats. Also I have been behind in the standby list as well.

I don't believe that they even know what there computer system is doing. Unless there is still a tag on my number that says I am pmUA and they are prioritizing pmCO first. I do just feel like that at times. Being number 20 for upgrade on a domestic flight and even being down to 4-5 paying m,y,b fares is ridiculous.

On the other hand I was offered a pre checkin buy up for 99 from Phl>lax in September. It booked into p or z. Imagine my surprise.

Then on a flight from iah > lax on Thursday last week the buy up on the mobile app started at 350 the went down to 150 right before boarding. They really wanted to try to sell that last seat and screw the upgrade. And again I saw within a 12hour window a 757 have 12 unsold seats to booked full-1 about 3hours before boarding with only 5 CPUs clearing. They have to be selling seats for cheap because if they hold true to what they say that the higher status gets a better deal then who is paying that much more for a 3.5hour flight to buy an upgrade.

Something shady going on for sure.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:34 pm

This is a new low (high) for me....

Route: NRT - SIN
Cabin: BF - GF
Price: $4,999

I was offered $1,039 at check in yesterday. I must be the poster child for outliers as I never get anything even remotely close to tempting from UA - and I spent $7,700 on this ticket in total!

Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:01 pm

This is a new low (high) for me....

Route: NRT - SIN
Cabin: BF - GF
Price: $4,999

I was offered $1,039 at check in yesterday. I must be the poster child for outliers as I never get anything even remotely close to tempting from UA - and I spent $7,700 on this ticket in total!
That's $4500 for the seat and $499 for the soup
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:12 pm

That's $4500 for the seat and $499 for the soup
This is so sad on so many levels - at least my flight is on time and I'm about to hit the ANA noodle bar!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:17 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
This is so sad on so many levels - at least my flight is on time and I'm about to hit the ANA noodle bar!
If you want to have some fun, remove your GS# from the booking and then go back to other options on the app and see if the offer has changed - could be interesting!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
If you want to have some fun, remove your GS# from the booking and then go back to other options on the app and see if the offer has changed - could be interesting!
LOL I'd rather avoid the aggravation of seeing a $99 offer...
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
I think fare rules may play a part in the differences. Kettles, esp to vacation destinations, tend to buy long in advance. A lot of the UPDI offers require advance purchase.

For example. I flew with 2 friends to the Caribbean. They had bought tickets months in advance for around $250 one-way. They reported that first class was available for around $400 one-way at the time of purchase. They received upgrade offers for $149 at check in. This seems a lot like a buy-up to the UPDI fare that was available at time of purchase.

I bought a Q ticket to be on their flight about 2 weeks in advance. My offer was around $300. This is pretty close to the one-way delta to M. P and PN were available on this flight.

Same flight, different offers. Possibly based on date of purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.