Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2014, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
what route - PVG to EWR
original fare bucket - H
price offered - $829
PCU/UFC? - UFC
Where it was offered/accepted - After checkin. I had opted for a co-pay/mileage upgrade and was Number 2 on the list with plenty of open seats. When I checked in on line, there were only 3 seat + 1 seat reserved so still thought my chances were good. 1 hour before boarding, I checked the app to find out there was only 1 seat left and I was still Number 2. So I paid up, the equation worked for me.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 9:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by higgsjoa
$1159 FRA-SFO on 11/08/14. W fare, waitlisted with miles and co-pay (actually managed to burn all my GPUs this year). Came soooooooo close to accepting. Ended up #13 on the upgrade list. UA is definitely accepting HOD buy-ups before upgrading elites with instruments.
That actually seems high to me, based on what I've seen before. This would not undercut many upgraders I wouldn't think, and so I would consider it "fair" and not a TOD upgrade. It's when they offer a $500-$700 cash upgrade that I would squawk (unless I took the offered paid upgrade myself of course!)
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by johnathome
what route - PVG to EWR
original fare bucket - H
price offered - $829
PCU/UFC? - UFC
Where it was offered/accepted - After checkin. I had opted for a co-pay/mileage upgrade and was Number 2 on the list with plenty of open seats. When I checked in on line, there were only 3 seat + 1 seat reserved so still thought my chances were good. 1 hour before boarding, I checked the app to find out there was only 1 seat left and I was still Number 2. So I paid up, the equation worked for me.
How much was your miles and copay upgrade? Any issues getting this refunded?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 3:24 am

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
EWR-RSW One-Way

Booked $117 N-class Economy ticket

$479 upgrade offer at booking

P-class ticket in F was only $307 total!
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by msg75
EWR-RSW One-Way

Booked $117 N-class Economy ticket

$479 upgrade offer at booking

P-class ticket in F was only $307 total!
Of course...there's a sliding scale with these offers. 1Ks get the worst, most overpriced ones, all the way down to GMs getting quite attractive, fare-busting deals that can't be passed up :-:
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Of course...there's a sliding scale with these offers. 1Ks get the worst, most overpriced ones, all the way down to GMs getting quite attractive, fare-busting deals that can't be passed up :-:
Sometimes the case... sometimes not. I have had some pretty stellar deals as a 1K on some pretty attractive routes (booked in very cheap fare classes)... IAD-DEN, BOS-SFO .... It's anyone's guess as to how stupid UA offers these deals...

Again, I can't dispute what you are saying because I have also had some pretty atrocious offers for buy-ups, and seen seats disappear quick to non-CPU's, meaning someone else probably took the deal at a much better price (unless they don't know what else to do with their $ and would blow $1399 on a o/w upgrade from SFO-IAD)......

I'm still lost in this whole deal.....
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Sometimes the case... sometimes not. I have had some pretty stellar deals as a 1K on some pretty attractive routes (booked in very cheap fare classes)... IAD-DEN, BOS-SFO .... It's anyone's guess as to how stupid UA offers these deals...
Could have been price differentials to a P fare? Some of those are reasonable.

If you haven't gotten sub-$100 offers on those routes, you're not getting the "good" ones
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Could have been price differentials to a P fare? Some of those are reasonable.

If you haven't gotten sub-$100 offers on those routes, you're not getting the "good" ones
Best one I had was BOS-DEN ($119 if I remember correctly) which took me from K class to A class (December 2013). Not sub $100, but definitely worth it in my eyes for a 4 hour flight. Every day-of-departure buy up I have done has put me into A class.... not sure if that's the way it works, or if this has just been coincidence. I had DEN-IAD, and IAD-DEN earlier this year on day-of-departure upgrades, and ended up in A as well.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: SPG 75 Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Delta PM, AA EXP
On a recent JFK-LAX 6 am departure they were selling upgrades over the PA system during boarding to BF for $179. Never got any type of checkin offer since I was a 1K using a confirmed RPU

This was a really light load, economy plus was almost 70% empty from the seat map, and in BF I had no seatmate.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
That about sums up my experience on SINNRT.

The upgrade offer was $1600 more than the paid SINNRT J class fare offering at the same time.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Pass
Here's something really odd. Is this shenanigans or am I missing something?

GF (no status) and I (Gold) both bought our roundtrip tickets EWR-PDX together on the same record. I used miles to waitlist for upgrade so the records were separated.

I'm looking today at our reservations and she's being offered to buy-up to First for $363 on the return flight home. My reservation is telling me it would cost $902.

We have the same fare class, same ticket cost, same schedule. The only difference is that I'm Gold status and she is no status. Why the hell is UA offering her an upgrade at a THIRD of the cost of a status'd member?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by elonepb

GF (no status) and I (Gold) both bought our roundtrip tickets EWR-PDX together on the same record. I used miles to waitlist for upgrade so the records were separated.

I'm looking today at our reservations and she's being offered to buy-up to First for $363 on the return flight home. My reservation is telling me it would cost $902.

We have the same fare class, same ticket cost, same schedule. The only difference is that I'm Gold status and she is no status. Why the hell is UA offering her an upgrade at a THIRD of the cost of a status'd member?
Welcome to the friendly skies - this has been well documented in several other threads. It's done on purpose - and everyone has their own opinions on why...
Old Nov 12, 2014, 2:47 pm

It's too bad UA Insider has not cast any light onto this issue...
Old Nov 12, 2014, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pnq91
On a recent JFK-LAX 6 am departure they were selling upgrades over the PA system during boarding to BF for $179. Never got any type of checkin offer since I was a 1K using a confirmed RPU

This was a really light load, economy plus was almost 70% empty from the seat map, and in BF I had no seatmate.
Even if it's a light load...way to denigrate your best domestic product UA!

Originally Posted by elonepb

Just wait til OLCI hits, her offer will probably get even better

This is a never-ending joke
Old Nov 12, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
ORD-FLL
No upgrade offered at check in (there was a buy-up offer at purchase but I forget what it was but it was laughable enough to decline).
F is now checked in full on a 737-700. Only 2 of 12 shown as upgraded. Yeah, I'm sure there were really 10 F seats sold on a leisure route.... riiiiight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.