Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Kacee, your points are well taken (as always ). In your opinion, is there anything we as Elites can do to try to turn the tide?
Not really. I mean you could start flying a different airline, book away from UA more often, etc. but there is no way to stop UA from not releasing R space and selling TODs to non-elites at ridiculously discounted rates. In fact, it will probably just get worse. I have my final p.s. flight of the year, first flight Saturday morning JFK-SFO, which I'm sure will be another raging TOD fest as usual.

Actually, if you can acquire Scarlett Johansson's powers from the movie Lucy, you have a slightly better than 50% chance of clearing any given upgrade.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's not UA's motivation. It has nothing to do with giving the masses a "taste" of F. UA simply wants the revenue. It doesn't give the cheap offers to elites exactly because they are viewed as repeat customers, and it doesn't want to train them to expect cheap buy-ups. Rather, it wants them to pay up for F at purchase (which they are more likely to do when they know their upgrades won't clear and they won't get cheap offers at check-in). GMs on the other hand are viewed as one-time revenue opportunities.

btw, neither AA nor DL does this to their elites.
Exactly - I understand cheap P fares and the like. But TODs (and shafting your loyal customers) are inexcusable.

Can confirm AA definitely doesn't do this - now 18/24 as a mid-tier Plat. The seats just don't evaporate in the days leading up to flight like they do on UA, esp. inside T-24.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
btw, neither AA nor DL does this to their elites.
nor does AS, in fact, AS is perhaps the only airline who still routinely clears elites at or near their advertised upgrade windows on many flights.

Kacee, your points are well taken (as always ). In your opinion, is there anything we as Elites can do to try to turn the tide?
nothing can be done to stop UA from selling the upgrades. i don't like the practice, but it wasn't the primary thing that drove me away from UA this past year.

the best recipe for people who want to fly F on UA is do not be an elite. if you are elite, you better buy F when you want it at this point, or hunt mercilessly for open R in which to apply instruments for upgrades.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm afraid UA believes it can continue to devalue elite status, with little meaningful competition on many routes and capacity at very high levels.

It's really a shame DOJ let the US/AA merger go through.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
6th fail on p.s. this year on tomorrow's JFK-SFO. My girlfriend will be enjoying my J seat while I sit in E+ yet again. R never appeared at T-24, or at any point. I give up.

p.s. is just a raging TOD Fest, to the point where it's actually a farce. 4 of us are on JFK-SFO tomorrow. I'm already in J. Gold, offered $399 at check-in to upgrade. His fiancée, GM, offered $269 at check-in. My girlfriend, waitlisted on RPU, offered nothing. It went from 22/28 at check-in to booked full in J in a few hours. This is the new UA.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:51 am

ORD-SFO-CTU
K
$3278
Offered online @ purchase
Denied - although I was offered the opportunity to "Upgrade all eligible flights for $6554. You will save $1 by upgrading your entire trip". Too funny.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fjfv19
p.s. is just a raging TOD Fest, to the point where it's actually a farce. 4 of us are on JFK-SFO tomorrow. I'm already in J. Gold, offered $399 at check-in to upgrade. His fiancée, GM, offered $269 at check-in. My girlfriend, waitlisted on RPU, offered nothing. It went from 22/28 at check-in to booked full in J in a few hours. This is the new UA.
UGH this is an effing joke

Assuming similar fare buckets for all?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
UGH this is an effing joke

Assuming similar fare buckets for all?
Gold: W
GM: S
My GF, a GM: H

So my GF had the highest fare class but maybe due to check-in time, did not get an offer. I sent a message to the Gold asking about their offers. He checked-in 5 minutes before his fiancée, and got the higher offer. United p.s. officially stands for paid shenanigans in my book.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
United p.s. officially stands for paid shenanigans in my book.
The interesting thing is that I think it's more nuanced than just fare basis.

I've never gotten a TOD offer on a PS flight before when I was waitlisted for an upgrade.

Earlier this week, when I (1KMM) was getting a paper BP at the kiosk (having already checked in online with no offer), got a $299 upgrade offer for one of the 2 remaining seats (with more than a dozen people on upgrade list). Relatively cheap advanced purchase fare.

What's interesting about it is that I am pretty sure I got that offer because I had no way to upgrade the flight otherwise without using miles - I had no RPU's available.

What I wonder is if, on flights like PS, you're better off *not* getting on the upgrade list using an RPU, and maybe that is what's driving the TOD algorithms.

Greg
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greg99
The interesting thing is that I think it's more nuanced than just fare basis.

I've never gotten a TOD offer on a PS flight before when I was waitlisted for an upgrade.

Earlier this week, when I (1KMM) was getting a paper BP at the kiosk (having already checked in online with no offer), got a $299 upgrade offer for one of the 2 remaining seats (with more than a dozen people on upgrade list). Relatively cheap advanced purchase fare.

What's interesting about it is that I am pretty sure I got that offer because I had no way to upgrade the flight otherwise without using miles - I had no RPU's available.

What I wonder is if, on flights like PS, you're better off *not* getting on the upgrade list using an RPU, and maybe that is what's driving the TOD algorithms.

Greg
Two months ago, I got the same $299 offer at OLCI *while waitlisted* with an RPU.

I think they're just getting desperate. I will be curious to see what ancillary revenues look like for the Q3 results YOY, especially relative to core flight revenues.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Two months ago, I got the same $299 offer at OLCI *while waitlisted* with an RPU.
I had the exact same experience, and finished #1 on the list with nobody clearing. It is maddening.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:55 pm

United p.s. officially stands for paid shenanigans

Have you priced out / tried JetBlue's new Mint service? Might be worth a look.

(Actually only available LAX now. Oct. 26th SFO.)

Also - for these PS flights you are buying Y fares. Have you checked to see what F is selling for when you buy Y? Has the difference between the two been narrowing?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Also - for these PS flights you are buying Y fares. Have you checked to see what F is selling for when you buy Y? Has the difference between the two been narrowing?
The P fare on these routes is now approx. $2000 ex-SFO and $2300 ex-LAX. I just bought a K fare for $343.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:10 pm

The P fare on these routes is now approx. $2000 ex-SFO and $2300 ex-LAX. I just bought a K fare for $343.
Thanks. Big gap.

If I am reading it correctly, Mint service is $600 each way (of course, probably only a couple of seats per plane at this loss leader rate? 30 day advance purchase.)

Looking at some dates in January SFO-JFK and seeing the $599 available Tues - Thurs.

Refundable Y - $745
Mint (non refundable) - $599
Refundable Mint - $1,209

All one way pricing.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Oct 15 LAX IAH on the 787-9. Offered $179 at airport kiosk day of. What an insult to elites. I'm gold. Didn't take it. There were 3 seats left. My friend who isn't elite got an offer for $269 on the next Kiosk.

Ended up #1 on the list as a gold after door closed. I'm was 4th at boarding, and they did 3 pull-ups leaving me #1. Being 1 is more painful than 5 or 6 !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.