Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
HA! I'm pretty sure United is years away from mastering that technology...
I did receive an offer by carrier pigeon last year though.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
So do upsells appear as upgrades on the flight status...
Tomorrows LAX-SYD just went from 32 this morning to 40(FULL) as of 4pm CST.

Envy may be a sin, but 14 hours in coach is hell so I am already damned.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 5:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
So do upsells appear as upgrades on the flight status...
Tomorrows LAX-SYD just went from 32 this morning to 40(FULL) as of 4pm CST.

Envy may be a sin, but 14 hours in coach is hell so I am already damned.
They do not. The seats just disappear.

Could be worse, a few months ago you would have been consigned to Y on the 744.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Another data point:

1/15 LGA-DEN-BZN, W fare

Ticketed the reservation without my MP number (I'm a Silver but going to lose status at the end of January). Offer at purchase: $599 for LGA-DEN, $129 for DEN-BZN. Declined.

After the reservation ticketed, I was offered a buy-up for $224.

I went back to my reservation and added my MP #. When I did, the buy-up offer increased to $938 for the same legs, even though inventory remained the same with the same number of seats available for upgrade.

I tried to clear my MP number unsuccessfully but it continued to recognize my Silver status. I then went back and replaced my MP # with ANA non-status # and the buy-up dropped back down to $224. The website continued to show the same inventory as in both previous situations. I accepted the lower price offer.

In summary:
Premier Silver: Buy-up: $938
No status: $224

Why does United think it's ok to charge an elite 4x+ the price for the buy-up as a non-status member all else being constant? Is this complaint worthy? I took screenshots to back this all up because of what I'd read on this thread and because I was so shocked at the price gap and how easy it was to see that the root cause of it was my status.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by daron4000
Why does United think it's ok to charge an elite 4x+ the price for the buy-up as a non-status member all else being constant? Is this complaint worthy? I took screenshots to back this all up because of what I'd read on this thread and because I was so shocked at the price gap and how easy it was to see that the root cause of it was my status.
It would be interesting to learn what the DOT's take on this practice would be.

It seems as though you have the perfectly documented test case.

Greg
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
I'd love to see UAInsider explain this one.
In summary:
I suspect it's a bug rather than demand-exploitation; something like:

If you're an elite, it looks for the cheapest B fare (M for 1K), since someone assumed coach would always be cheaper than first and elites are instant upgrade eligible.
If you're non-elite, it looks for the cheapest first fare, and it's finding UP/UPDI fares that are way cheaper than B.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fjfv19
6th fail on p.s. this year on tomorrow's JFK-SFO. My girlfriend will be enjoying my J seat while I sit in E+ yet again. R never appeared at T-24, or at any point. I give up.

p.s. is just a raging TOD Fest, to the point where it's actually a farce. 4 of us are on JFK-SFO tomorrow. I'm already in J. Gold, offered $399 at check-in to upgrade. His fiancée, GM, offered $269 at check-in. My girlfriend, waitlisted on RPU, offered nothing. It went from 22/28 at check-in to booked full in J in a few hours. This is the new UA.
How did you end up in J?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:40 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
10/17/14

EWR-FRA, 777 T fare, 2 seats open in Biz.

Silver

Was offered $1429 at check in to go from coach to biz. Declined. Had a comfortable flight in E+ for $0 extra as E+ was wide open at check in.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Do they really think we are Suckers. At that price it is cheaper to pay for the RT Business ticket.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:20 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by kapkap46
Do they really think we are Suckers. At that price it is cheaper to pay for the RT Business ticket.
Prior to check in, I had offers of $3600 each way to upgrade lol
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by mduell

If you're an elite, it looks for the cheapest B fare (M for 1K), since someone assumed coach would always be cheaper than first and elites are instant upgrade eligible.
If you're non-elite, it looks for the cheapest first fare, and it's finding UP/UPDI fares that are way cheaper than B.
Having this "bug" in effect for such a long time indicates it is no bug at all.

Disgusting behavior on United's part.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by mduell

I agree. I think it's an IT issue they are unable or unwilling to fix. I don't think it's intentional.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Avis Preferred Plus, AMEX Platinum
AS same-day buy-ups

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Just another anecdote...

My friends, non status on AS, received a text the morning of their recent SEA-SFO flight offering a buy up to F for $50 each (2 pax).

They were checking bags anyway, so took it thinking 'I am only paying $25 extra to sit in F'.

Hopefully all of the loyal AS elites were accommodated before this TOD offer was broadcast!

Texting out upsell offers - Nobody has observed this behavior (yet) with UA, right?
AS has long had standard pricing for day-of-departure upgrade purchases. It is $50 for flights under 1,250 miles, $100 for flights under 2,500 miles, etc. They are only made available at check-in (no more than 24 hours before departure), whereas I believe complimentary elite upgrades are processed 48 or 72 hours before departure depending on status. Not sure to what extent AS tries to collect the extra cash from willing passengers before clearing elites.

I've never received a text message, email, or other communication specifically advertising these buy-up opportunities, however. I've sought them out because I happen to know that AS offers them.

FYI, sometimes it's a good deal to just buy the first class ticket on AS to begin with. For instance, for an SEA-OAK flight on Aug 10, there was only a $54 difference between the lowest available coach fare and the lowest available first class fare (booked in P class, which is probably similar to UA's P class) at the time of purchase. I just went ahead and bought the P fare and got a guaranteed seat in first class along with 150% RDMs and EQMs.

I guess the difference is that while this allows AS to sell more of their first class seats and have fewer available for complimentary elite upgrades, AS offers the same pricing to all regardless of elite status, whereas UA appears to be discriminating AGAINST elites.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Avis Preferred Plus, AMEX Platinum
Another data point:

1/15 LGA-DEN-BZN, W fare

Ticketed the reservation without my MP number (I'm a Silver but going to lose status at the end of January). Offer at purchase: $599 for LGA-DEN, $129 for DEN-BZN. Declined.

After the reservation ticketed, I was offered a buy-up for $224.

I went back to my reservation and added my MP #. When I did, the buy-up offer increased to $938 for the same legs, even though inventory remained the same with the same number of seats available for upgrade.

I tried to clear my MP number unsuccessfully but it continued to recognize my Silver status. I then went back and replaced my MP # with ANA non-status # and the buy-up dropped back down to $224. The website continued to show the same inventory as in both previous situations. I accepted the lower price offer.

In summary:

I was thinking of doing a SFO-JFK mileage run in December in order to put myself over the edge for Premier Silver status, and also because my cousin lives in New York. However, if I will be screwing myself on upsell offers next year by doing so, perhaps I should just stick with no status...
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
SFO-LHR, 10-20, U fare, 5999, at purchase, no offer at chicken

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.